Search form

Animation Ideas? + What to do with them?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animation Ideas? + What to do with them?

Hey there!
I'm new to this site and I'm very interested in animation. I want to make it my career after college. What I'm most into is the traditional animation, more specific, movies. I hate the fact that animated movies are computer generated nowadays. I'm sooooooooooo tired of seeing it everywhere and they aren't even that good :mad: I miss hand drawn and I'd like to bring it back.

I've already got ideas for some movies I'd love to see on the big screen. I'd love to animate them myself. It's a dream of mine :D

Now that I've got these ideas, I'm wondering what I should do. I'm still finishing up my first year of college. After I finish, I want to attend a school that teaches animation.

Do you think I should send my ideas somewhere? Or wait until I gain experience in animation? Where should I go with my ideas?

What do you guys think? Do you have any ideas for animated movies?

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I was just wondering.
Thanks

Speaking as someone whose primary motor force in seeking to develop as an animator is to one day have my own stories in motion - but, also, as one who hasn't even started college (though I hope to in the Fall) - I'd say, don't count on sending your ideas somewhere having any result. Lots of people do this - little kids, weird old guys, starry-eyed amateurs... It's never turned into a movie, I've never heard of it happening ever. If you've got a few million dollars to burn, you could hire somebody - but you don't, that's right out. If you want to get your stories made, you'll probably be making them yourself -- either all-alone or in a tiny, hard-pressed studio, a la Bakshi. That is, if you mean anytime soon - if you mean 10, 20, 30 years from now, and one day you find yourself sitting in the tall chair at the head of a very long table at the top floor of some Hollywood skyscraper, well then it's another kettle of fish altogether.
But the only way to be sure that what's in your head can one day be shared, is to prepare yourself to go it alone if need be.
That all might be junk, might be wrong - I can't be sure I have a clue about any of this. But that's how I see it right now - that's what makes sense to me, that's the way I, personally, am approacing the matter.

Actually, I'm striving for the same thing - to make my own animation series. I've been working on it for about 8 years now, constantly evolving it, and there's no way I would ever just hand it over to someone else and have it ruined. I would rather wait years so I can make it myself (I start school in June). I guess there's always that fear that during that time, someone else might come up with a similar idea and beat me to the punch, but it's something I'm willing to risk because I believe in my idea enough to make sure it's exactly what I meant it to be.

First; WeeklyHero, BlackWolf1 you need to read the sticky "So you want to be an Animator? Here's what to expect". http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=5906

Focus on the post by Ken Davis, they will not answer all your questions but it is a really good start.

As you work on gaining the skills needed for animation you will find yourselves with answers to most of your broader question. If you keep at this you will find yourselves seaking answers to more nuts and bolts type problems. So read, work, talk and work some more on the craft.

This is my one cents. Good Luck :D

Ken had some amazing insight into the field, that's for sure. But through it all, I'm not changing my mind and I will still go for my goals. Man, that sounds so after-school-special, doesn't it?

Ken had some amazing insight into the field, that's for sure. But through it all, I'm not changing my mind and I will still go for my goals. Man, that sounds so after-school-special, doesn't it?

No, do NOT change your mind, if you are really set on that path.

What I wrote is a gauntlet of sorts, meant for newcomers to be run through to see if they have staying power.
If it dissuades anyone then animation is certainly not for them.
If it just galvanizes someone then the next challenge is due for them to prove themselves on.
You need stones and backbone to not just survive in the animation business, but to THRIVE in it.

And Lord knows, we need people to thrive in it.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)