Search form

Cartoon Anatomy

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cartoon Anatomy

:eek: While looking for some classic animation character reference, I stumbled across upon this fabulous website and thought that my fellow awn-ers would appreciate it. Artist, Michael Paulus, has drawn the skeletons of some of our favourite cartoon characters. It's brilliant stuff, apologies if it has already been posted.

Cheers,
Claire.

Cobster's picture
Visit my website: Claire O'Brien.com

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Wow...those powerpuff girl drawings are kinda creepy. You've found a cool site though, thanks!

"Animation isn't about how well you draw, but how much to believe." -Glen Keane

Well................its funny and novel stuff at the same time, but I have my doubts if its useful at all.
Aside from finding the elbow and knee joints, alot of the skeletal structure just doesn't have much of a role to play in those kinds of cartoon characters.
Personally and professionally, I'd advise anyone attempting cartoon character design to concentrate more on the overall exterior structural shapes than an interior skeleton like these designs display. There would be a "skeleton" of some kind present underneath most characters exterior structures, but it would be GREATLY simplified--far more so that these.

BTW- anyone here notice the uncannily/uncomfortably close resemblance Eggbert has to Disney's Chicken Little?

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

I don't think it's supposed to be useful. I think they were going for funny and novel...

I have seen this before, but I can't recall if it was from here. I never get tired of the vestigal arm bones on the Schmoo... :D

I think they are kind of funny, and any animator in their right mind that thought they were the basis for charactors, has a few things more to learn. But I guess there are a few looking for simple formulas that can't see a joke when it's giving them a rasberry right in their face.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.