Search form

Heathen's Gallery

186 posts / 0 new
Last post

........I haven't had time to draw anything good lately. The only time I have to draw is when I'm in class. So here are some decent sketches of a character I did in physics class.

Well I was completely bored waiting in the art room this morning, and I turned around and saw the life size human skeleton on the table, so I thought... why not draw a few bones while waiting?
Unfortunately due to years of abuse, the skeleton is missing a few bones...namely the right arm and part of the skull...so I was unable to draw those...

well, i feel like i haven't posted anything in ages...

here's something i drew the other day.

Thanks Phreak! Yeah they liked the presents (that's a relief! I was kinda worried there...) and yes, I am extremely busy......
Gotta finish my art school entrance portfolio and it's due on february.....
I'm not sure if I'll make it...but I must!!!!

I think I'm going to go insane before the end of vacation (not that i'm not insane now...hehe)

Anyways here's a concept art background thingie....

I screwed up on the highlights there...

soooooo.... i'm praticing anatomy... the results are getting more satisfying.............gradually.

Thanks again Leechkin.

Sorry haven't been posting. Haven't been satisfied with anything I've been drawing lately but here's a quick sketch that will never be finished...

so tired these days...must be the grad crunch time....

Wow, he's getting rather fluid. I can't wait to see more :)

A new comic...

I decided to start a comic without any clue as to what it's going to be about...that means no script, no characters made up, nothing...just my imagination. I really want to see what I can come up with without any previous thought about it. And so here it is, the first page of the comic!:D Forgive its bad quality, the page was too big for the scanner so I had to use my digital camera and mess it around using a very old version of corelDraw...:D

Some dialogue is blurred and hard to read but hey! It is just a sketch from my sketchbook!:D

now let's see if I can make this more of a 'daily' thread....for practice purposes

some stuff...

very cool

aspecially the landscape :eek:

Well this is a cartoon self-portrait of myself (although I think I look better as a cartoon than in real life:D ) and I didn't know what to draw in art class so I drew a self-portrait of me trying to figure out what to draw.

And then I still didn't know what to draw so I drew a robot (inspired by a friend named Erin who likes robots. Boop beep! And also by Keith Haring who has a very neat art style that inspired me.)

And finally in math class I drew this... I'm not quite sure what it is but one thing I'm sure of is that it slithers like a slug (or maybe it flies???....). Well I don't know what it is.

Ohhh!

I like the fantasy sketches!? Is that an idea you have in mind, or just a theme you're playing with??

Yours Truely
Da' Phreak
Neville Howard.
WWW.Comicwrx.com

Here's a pencil sketch for reference for a short comic strip I'm working on with my cousin.

Quick marker colored sketch I did of another anime character that I like, tried making it more american comic book style.

A random sketch of a face. I tend to start working first on a character's or monster's face so I can figure out its personality...then I have to design a body...:D

I was told by someone that this character looked like Sasuke in Naruto.

i was studying the proportions of the face and neck this morning, so i thought i should put my knowledge to practice...

this is an overworked drawing... but it proves that i need to work on my anatomy...

Wow. I really want to thank you Laurence for putting so much time in giving me suggestions. I've learned a lot about how to improve myself thanks to you.:D
Yup, I still need to work on perspective and I'll check out those books on perspective too. I really hope the public library has them...if not I'll find something else there on perspective because it's obvious that I don't know much about it.

Originally Posted by L_Finston
For inking, I recommend the use of technical pens to trace over pencil lines and drawing ink (tusche) with brushes or nibs for the final inking.

I've played around with nibs before and I find it quite difficult to use properly. I know it requires lots of practice however, I do use technical pens. Also I use sharpies with technical pens. I usually use large sharpie pens to color in black areas and thinner ones for outlines. I use technical pens for details and such.

It's much easier to correct drawings if you draw in pencil on good paper that can stand up to erasing. A light table is also very useful.

I do light sketches using pencil before I ink. Otherwise my drawings would look really terrible. I'm not confident enough to do a drawing without pencil lines to guide me. Oh and I know it's a pretty lame excuse, but I don't have a light table, however my school has one, I guess I could use it and test it out.

This will be useful to you, whether you decide to do a perspective construction by hand, or use a computer program (which is what I would recommend).

I am determined to do perspective by hand before I try it out on the computer. I feel better knowing how to draw it rather than using computers. However once I'm confident enough on drawn perspective, I'll try my hand at computer stuff.:D

Here are the sketches I did today...

A weird looking crow done in art class today. The crow is drooling...not bleeding.

Playing around with movement I suppose...done at lunchtime I believe.

Ya got the right stuff.

Hey thanks again Laurence for the tips!:D
I use sharpie pens... not very creative but it's what I have.
Ah yes perspective. My old nemesis...:D
Yeah I'm aware the steps are really odd, mostly because I got lazy doing all the tiny details of the industries that I decided not to use a ruler (big mistake!). I hate correcting drawings, I'd much rather redo them, but sometimes I have to correct them... oh well! I'll work on my perspective then! It's gonna be my new goal!! As for my self-portrait, I think I'm gonna leave it the way it is, mostly because I don't think it's worth the trouble of correcting. I have some important projects to do and correcting my drawings is the least of them, but maybe later I will go back and fix them.

I drew this at school this morning... come to think of it I'm still at school...:D

This is a little drawing I photoshopped. It was done really fast.

A new drawing...:D

I really liked this character and the way it turned out and now I'm making some character sheets for an animation that I'm hoping to use as an entry for a festival.:D

I would recommend doing some sketches of hands and feet. these are really hard, at my school there is an entire class just for learning how to draw them well.
-On the hand, the middle finger is always the longest and the pinky barely extends past the middle fingers knuckle.
-On your last self portrait the feet are too blunt. Don't take is hard, they are difficult to draw.
-LOVE the hat monster.
-I enjoy the bird concept sketches, I can see how the animation would look... you should consider trying animatics. It will let you know where the strengths are in your motion as well as if others understand it, without you having to explain.
You are doing very well and I hope to see much more.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

was playing around with photoshop... haven't colored digitally in a loooooonnng time so thought i might as well warm up a bit.
sketch is a self-portrait (cartoon style)
background was a photograph taken during my summer vacation last year, can't recall where this was though.... i know there a loon nearby 'cause my mom kept trying to take pictures of it before it dove back underwater.

Here's something I drew in math class!:D

He's called the Hat Master.

Here's our gnome dancing around planting seeds that automatically grow...this drawing was supposed to be accompanied by a poem that I wrote, naturally I ended up liking the poem more than the drawing. I used pen nibs and ink for this drawing and they are hard to use well...

This drawing is just a sketch to figure out the design of a character for a comic series. I'm hoping it'll get published but even if they don't like it I'll still finish the series.

This is a drawing for our final art project at school. I'm going to print several hundred copies of this and post them all over the place....:D

And these are character sketches of the same character in the previous post. As usual I managed to make a good looking drawing on the back of a french assignment, and not on a blank piece of paper. Why is it one can draw on a scrap piece of paper and not on good drawing paper? Oh well...It's probably because I'm completely bored in class and drawing is the only thing that can save me from my boredness (is that a word?:D ). I actually managed to get the character's body construction and shape right this time, so I'm leaving it blank so I can trace it onto some good paper. These days I have a hard time drawing something that doesn't look anime-ish.

The colored version of my final art project. Anyone who lives in Vancouver, look for the Squid trademark around the city.:D

More character designs....just trying to figure out her personality through her actions and design...

The comic story is mostly anti-war kind of plot...inspired by SlaughterHouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (I love this author).

Another sketch made on the back of an assignment....this time socials!:D

Here's something I did with Photoshop.

Character construction...

Character designs...

Here's our main character...

I drew some vehicles using PERSPECTIVE!!!

Those vehicles are pretty nice,especially the tank.:D

Your style is kinda interesting to me,it kinda jumps all over the place from really heavy,dark,realistic stuff to almost overly simple,colorfull,light cartoony stuff.

Never the less nice to see another girl ''anyone seen bandita lately?''

Thanks for the compliment Thunderobot.
And yes I know my style changes drastically, I guess I tend to want to able to draw in any style. I used to only draw anime, in fact I ONLY drew anime in grade 9 and 10, and then I realized all I could draw was stupid anime characters. Then I realized I didn't want to draw anime anymore because it wasn't original, but that doesn't mean I detest anime. My greatest source of inspiration are Miyazaki's movies and mangas.:D
Unfortunately my somewhat realistic style still has anime-ish qualities which I am trying to eliminate. So anyways here are some more somewhat realistic drawings with anime-ish qualities.

Thanks for the compliment Thunderobot.
And yes I know my style changes drastically, I guess I tend to want to able to draw in any style. I used to only draw anime, in fact I ONLY drew anime in grade 9 and 10, and then I realized all I could draw was stupid anime characters. Then I realized I didn't want to draw anime anymore because it wasn't original, but that doesn't mean I detest anime. My greatest source of inspiration are Miyazaki's movies and mangas.:D
Unfortunately my somewhat realistic style still has anime-ish qualities which I am trying to eliminate. So anyways here are some more somewhat realistic drawings with anime-ish qualities.

Have you ever seen FLCL?

im not a big anime fan at all,but miazaki and flcl are both pretty good.:D

Originally Posted by Thunderobot
[I]Have you ever seen FLCL?

im not a big anime fan at all,but miazaki and flcl are both pretty good.[/I]

FLCL is awesome! Especially the style of anime.
As for Miyazaki, I think his comics are really good, in fact my all time favorite comic series is Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (and it is MUCH better than the movie because the movie was only based on the comics and the movie is horrible in comparison to the comics series).

And now some random drawing I did on photoshop. (Sorry about how bad I suck at using photoshop, it's the fourth time I've used it...:o )

A character sheet...

For those who aren't aware, I'm making an anti-war comic book and I'm designing the characters. So far, my script is constantly changing but the main character is Leanna and she gets .... (well the rest is still subject to change:p ).

The attachment is the same character covered in blood...but someone has already told me it looks like paint probably because of the colour. Oh and the character is a surgeon/medic soooo naturally she's supposed to get real bloody.

Silly inked drawing done in english class and photoshopped later.

Silly inked drawing done in english class and photoshopped later with background.:D

I really should be paying more attention in class...:D

The path of blood and the path of nothingness.

OH NO! NOT ANIME!!
sigh... I told myself I would never draw anime again....WRONG!

This is the non-bloody version of the image I've been working on. The real image has a lot of blood and for that reason, I've decided not to put it up.

Experimenting with line thicknesses....although the effect was mostly lost through the photoshop clean-up as well as the scanning....

A quick sketch of my dog when I was supposed to study for my physics final.

...some stupid sketch I did during school...

I really enjoy looking at your character designs!
It's quite inspiring for me to see you make so many good sketches so often.
(especially the ones you made in your physics class...haha, how do you find so much time to sketch in your classes and still be an honor student?!)

But one thing I suggest you to do more is drawing from life.
And not just from people and objects, but also the environment they're in as well. That way, you can improve both your perspective drawings and your drawing abilities.

Originally Posted by ntonyo
[I]It's quite inspiring for me to see you make so many good sketches so often.
(especially the ones you made in your physics class...haha, how do you find so much time to sketch in your classes and still be an honor student?!)[/I]

:D
Yes, I guess you could say that it comes with practice, and also I somehow manage to get onto the honor roll or whatever without really trying so MOST of the teachers don't really care if they see me drawing in class. And most of the time they think I'm taking notes down in my notebook.:D

Originally Posted by ntonyo
[I]But one thing I suggest you to do more is drawing from life.
And not just from people and objects, but also the environment they're in as well. That way, you can improve both your perspective drawings and your drawing abilities.[/I]

I've taken figure drawing sessions before but most people frown upon me when I say this because they think I'm too young to draw naked people or that since I'm younger than most that they expect me to cause a riot or something. Well good for them, but I actually really like figure drawing and I think it really helps me. Besides you can't have too many figure drawing sessions.:D
Anyways, I do draw from life but lately I haven't done so.........except for my dog, but that doesn't really count....this summer I'm going to do so much drawing from real life because I have to get my art portfolio ready so that I can get straight into an art school after high school graduation. I can hardly wait! High school is so dull.....

Some life drawings....now for something a lot more complex.:D

Pages