Search form

printers/scanners

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
printers/scanners

I'd like to be able to animate roughs in flash, print them out, draw the cleanups in pencil, and scan those in.
I've heard that for 2d/3d composite shots, 2d animators require an incredibly accurate printing system (properly aligned, holes properly punched) in order to create their 2d animation on top of an established 3d object/environment. Then they need incredibly accurate scanning as well.
Is there actually technology for this, or do they just have a team of printer/scanner people who are very very careful? If there is actual technology that does this, what is it called, and what can I expect in terms of price?

big studios def have a bunch of people who work on the scan and digitise aspect.

what we do is just drawn on animation (punched) paper and then have a scanner with a punch attached to it as well.

this way you cant make mistakes with regards to scan.

I'd like to be able to animate roughs in flash, print them out, draw the cleanups in pencil, and scan those in.
I've heard that for 2d/3d composite shots, 2d animators require an incredibly accurate printing system (properly aligned, holes properly punched) in order to create their 2d animation on top of an established 3d object/environment. Then they need incredibly accurate scanning as well.
Is there actually technology for this, or do they just have a team of printer/scanner people who are very very careful? If there is actual technology that does this, what is it called, and what can I expect in terms of price?

If you are drawing the roughs in Flash, why back up and go back to paper? Seems like it would be unnecessary.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

There is technology for this. Some programs are able to read the peg holes and then adjust the image so they are all registered. I don't know the names of some of the programs off the top of my head. Try doing a google search for 2D animation programs or traditional animation programs. I don't think they have it, but try the Flipbook site. Probably a good word to look for is program that has "auto-registration."

Your process does seem alittle backwards but I understand, Flash isn't the easiest program to do clean-up in.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Oh, I just thought of something else you might not have considered. When you print out, that is going to be another registration shift there. You'll have to punch or tape your print onto your disk to then clean up over. The best way I can think of to keep each drawing registered is to make "+" marks on all four corners on a top layer in Flash. Then on a cel, or just a blank animation paper copy those marks exactly, and always leave that on your disk. Then you can always line up future prints with those crop marks and then have your clean-ups registered. Oh, and draw the crop marks on the clean-up pages too so you can re-regester them when you scan them back into Flash. Wheeee :)

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

yeah, I probably just need more practice animating on paper, but I'm basically considering it just because it's a lot easier for me to get the rough animation done on computer (I can mess with timing, etc, without scanning each time) and cleaner drawings on paper. I know animo has auto-registration and aligns according to the pegholes, so I'll keep looking for a printer.

I too like to draw roughs on a pc sometimes for pure speed (skips the scanning step) but like the look of hand finished cleanups so let us know how you go with this.

I am only learning and haven't done enough work yet to have a good working process in place.

Flipbook can do the auto registering thing fairly well from memory though not everyone can afford that program, maybe pap shareware could be an option for roughs?

Yeah, I feel yeh I was having

Yeah, I feel yeh I was having the same problem until I bought this https://productz.com/en/epson-l805/p/m2oPz I was using this printer for so long and it really helped me out a lot in this past few months. It has the best feature of all time.