Search form

when's the wedding?

just wondering when thomas and charlotte are going to get married so they can lie together telling each other how "right" they both are, while stroking off to pictures of uncle roy and dubya...my guess is the minute after they both grow the balls to actually enlist and fight in that war they're so gung ho about

mr. meriwether's picture

well, at least you cant say the site is short on laughs...if you cant find hilarity in the Bush administration ass-kissing of thomas, or the onward christian soldier preaching of charlotte, there is always the pathetic dream world of little greg..he wants so hard to be liked, he pretends to be all things to all people..if the topic is on afro-americans, he's part black, if it's on the IRA he just happens to be Irish, if it's about the westbank, he's both Jewish AND Arabic, (also Native American, Chinese, Pakistani, Hottentot and Welsh)..he's a hard knocks street kid, a celebrity hob nobber, he did favours for the mob, he discovered a cure for leukemia, he's been to Mars twice, he helped John Travolta with his comeback, he animated with Milt Kahl on Sword in the Stone, he restored the Dead Sea Scrolls, he advised O. J.'s lawyers on the glove controversy, and has seen action in BOTH Gulf Wars...every so often the poor saps at that "pay per view" site call his bluff and then he quits in a huff, but give it a few months and he's back from his parents' basement with an even more exciting make believe life...check it out while it's still free

Ken Davis's picture
Submitted by Ken Davis on

I read that site less and less......and its relevancy drops everytime I do.
There's a huge amount of political commentary there, most of it from the site owner.......and yet, when the comments run awry, he clamps down and STILL CONTINUES BY HIMSELF.
One wonders why the site remains a "forum" site and not progress into a blog if that's the mandate of the owner.

As for the other guy you mentioned..........last time I checked a couple months ago he was being roundly "questioned" on his claims/background by the clique and seemed to leave in a tiff. I have never bought a word this guy has said.........his ebullience is........forced. For someone so "well connected" its suprising that no-one he "knows" has come along and chimed in about what a great guy he is and substantiated the claims the fellow makes.

Personally, I dont care who breaks bread with who, or who is saving the world with some scheme this next Tuesday.
That site used to be a pretty decent forum for discussion of Animation, but seems to have become a Blog like version of.........The Onion, or something like it.
AWN has its warts too, but the at the very least we make a strident effort to stick to the realms of animation.

Everytime I visit that other site, I see less and less reason to return.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

As for the other guy you mentioned..........last time I checked a couple months ago he was being roundly "questioned" on his claims/background by the clique and seemed to leave in a tiff.

Well, if he left in a JPG, his resolution might suffer... :D

Sorry; couldn't resist.

FWIW, I've had a free account on that site for a long time (years), and just after the last time I expressed a dissenting opinion, my access was cancelled. Big shock :rolleyes:.

Ken Davis's picture

Well, if he left in a JPG, his resolution might suffer... :D

Sorry; couldn't resist.

FWIW, I've had a free account on that site for a long time (years), and just after the last time I expressed a dissenting opinion, my access was cancelled. Big shock :rolleyes:.

Isn't it curious? For a "movement" that's big on having itself heard, it doesn't seem to want to hear from a lot people, certainly DISSENTING voices.
Considering the site owner makes a great deal of American democratic values but doesn't practise them at all is a joke.

"Let your voice be heard, as long as it matches my own" seems to be the motto over there.

Pooryorik's picture
Submitted by Pooryorik on

Huh? Some clarification please...

Or am I just thick?
Pooryorik

Ken Davis's picture

Captain, my sensors detect a veiled reference to a "Nation of Animation".
No specifics as yet, though my initial inclination is to concur with the above readings. I will continue scanning.

skinnylizard's picture

Captain, my sensors detect a veiled reference to a "Nation of Animation".
No specifics as yet, though my initial inclination is to concur with the above readings. I will continue scanning.

captain some of us were born in 1979:p

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

What's curious to me is how over 300 people have been hoodwinked into coughing up $15 a year to help pay server bills. Once upon a time, they pretended that the money was going to fund independent short production, but that vanished a while back.

ScatteredLogical's picture

I'd be curious to know what kind of hosting plan he's on. Most places give you unmetered traffic and bandwidth unless you're heavy on for-download images and movies.

Haredevil_Hare's picture

Huh? Some clarification please...

Yes, Mr. Meriwether, you should post a link to the crazy posts in question so that those of us who aren't on the AnimationNation can enjoy the fun too. ;)

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

Ken Davis's picture

What's curious to me is how over 300 people have been hoodwinked into coughing up $15 a year to help pay server bills. Once upon a time, they pretended that the money was going to fund independent short production, but that vanished a while back.

I could see that it was a "pie-in-the-sky" idea right from the start--but see what happens if you mention that to anyone at that time. Let's face it, raising the kind of capital needed to fund independant productions via on-line donation or enterprise is ludicrous fantasy bullshit. It just doesn't happen.

They were "convinced" that they'd get 1000 subscribers to their IE concept, and they got less than 200 the first TWO years. 300 is is the number right now....and the money has been declared to be going towards the costs of running the site, NOT furthering the aims the site promotes.
The $15 one puts in goes towards the site itself........and once the site become entirely subscription based..........well, how in the hell will they build, much less sustain those numbers?
Like I said, pie in the sky.
When they add the tone of the site owner, his personal ( and mandated treatment) of others, and the overly political tone of the forums and the site agenda.......well, imo, the idea they have is not sustainable.
But I'm not a member, just a on-looking outsider.and I'm quite comfortable in that situation.
I think if AN wanted to further its aims it would be a lot of more expansive in its approach. The site owner runs the Animation Academy school which, despite what one might think of the owner, has quite a good reputation.
With all the newcomer interest in animation, I think that offering a series of instructional materials--taken right from the courses they offer and placed on the AN site as a "warm-up"/precursor type info source for general animation would make their site accessible and more friendly.
The actual in-class courses can then leave behind some of that basic instruction because its allready covered on line. It would also do the industry a favour by offering introductory materials at a destination site.

But does that happen? Nope, the site just wants your money, and could care less about your opinion, if it doesn't match theirs.

That's why the relevancy of the site drops daily, imo.

All that criticism aside...........even forums like AWN's here can lose their relevancy is they get grounded into the same kind of muck.
The mix of pro's, newcomers, students, fans and wannabees is a delicate mix, and the balance of relevant threads with trivial BS is a fine one.
We don't need a 2d/3D debate for a while........nor do we need an anime thread either.
Sites like this ( and grudginly, AN) serve most when they solve problems, and serve least when they politicize.

Pointing the way to design images, or tutorials on solving key techniques help tremendously, sage advice and opinions from folks that have actually been there......news about current and upcoming stuff..all salted with a bit of fun makes forums like these come alive.

There's a reason why I post here and not over there.......

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

I could see that it was a "pie-in-the-sky" idea right from the start

It was clear to me that, given my geographic distance from L.A., none of any "IE" payments I made would ever go toward a film idea I had. If they ever were able to put enough scratch together to fund a short, I knew it wouldn't be mine. So why cough up to cover someone else's production costs when I can add the "dues" to mine?

Not only the relevancy is dropping; so is the posting frequency. I've been keeping a close eye on how frequently people post since their "all subscription" mandate, and it's way off from its peak. It'll be interesting to see where it is in a year or so.

Ken Davis's picture

captain some of us were born in 1979:p

Then syndication shall be your saviour.

Ah, what I just wrote..............sheer poetry.
That sentence must live FOR ALL TIME!

Haredevil_Hare's picture

Let's face it, raising the kind of capital needed to fund independant productions via on-line donation or enterprise is ludicrous fantasy bullshit. It just doesn't happen.

Tell that to John K. who's trying to raise funds for his projects with that blog of his. http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

The difference is John K. has a reputation and a rabid fan base to draw from.

Ken Davis's picture

Tell that to John K. who's trying to raise funds for his projects with that blog of his. http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com

Well, is that not surprising? John K shot himself in the foot by blowing the entire budget for the Spike TV Ren & Stimpy series on the FIRST TWO EPISODES, and then disappeared for two weeks in the midst of production while not telling anyone.

Yea, I think he'd probably have to resort to a telethon to get money for his stuff....John K's Kids anyone?