Search form

Cartoon quote question

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cartoon quote question

Okay this has been bugging me for a whole day now, and you know when you really want an answer for something, you won't give up until you find it? :D

There is a quote I keep saying from a cartoon and for the life of me, I can't remember what character it was, or in what context it was used. I think it was a Warner Brothers cartoon and it was a dog, but he had a pet, (mouse, bird, etc) and he said, "I will love him and pet him" and then I think he says "I shall call him George." It was in a real dopey voice.

I know it's a dumb question, but I thought maybe one of you could help me!! :confused:

K

I remember that too, now you'll have me searching for an answer. I know it's take off from Of Mice and Men, but you've got me thinking. I kind of think it was an early Bugs cartoon, but I could be wrong.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I am sure the Abominable Snow Rabbit is the one I remember, but you have to remember Bugs turns Daffy over to Hugo, who just wants a pet or friend. I kept have mixed memories Bugs, Daffy now I know why they were both in it.

The character of Benny appeared in a few different animal forms over the years at Warner Bros. He was in dog form in Of Fox and Hounds (by Tex Avery c. 1940) and Foxy by Proxy (by Friz Freleng c. 1952) with Bugs Bunny, he was in cat form in Hoppy Go Lucky (by Robert McKimson c. 1952) with Sylvester and Cat Tails For Two (by Robert McKimson c. 1953) with Speedy Gonzales, and he was in abominable snowman form in The Abominable Snow Rabbit (by Chuck Jones c. 1961) with Bugs and Daffy.

Those are all the appearances I can think of. I think there might be more.

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

right

Phacker is right with " The Abominable Snow Rabbit". It was Hugo , Daffy and Bugs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054593/quotes

Attachment 

It was Bugs here are some soundclips from it.

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Abominable_Snowman.html

And some more information on it:

http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_characters/180-The_Abominable_Snow_Rabbit.html

http://www.ara-animation.com/ViewMain.cfm?IDNo=2285

Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how much better I feel now. You all are awesome! :D

Thanks for the kinds words.....taking a number of bows, but I don't really deserve them. But I need them right now so thanks again. Hey your question just struck a chord. I love that line too, and I was only 11 the first time I saw it, but it stayed with me. So glad I could help out.

Pat

One more

Since you seem to have all the answers, do you know where I could fine a Spike & Chester clip? (You know, the big bulldog and the little dog that follows him around.) :confused:

Thanks!!

Kristen

The description kinda reminded me of the old Hippity Hopper cartoon where the big cat and the little cat were at that pier on that boat and thought he was a mouse.

I dunno, that's what popped in my head first.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

..And when there was a Bugs Bunny show/Bugs Bunny Road Runner hour there was an interstitial with a big white stylized sheepdog with the "Lennie" voice, who goes looking for bugs bunny because he saw him on TV. I can't remember if it was to "hug 'im and pet 'im and call 'im 'George'".
Anyhoo the sheepdog shows up and finds Daffy in a rabbit suit and Daffy has to talk his way out of it to convince the dog he's not the bunny.

That was based on John Steinbeck's Lennie from Of Mice and Men. AVery had a Lennie and George character too at MGM. There was a Bennie and George in Cat-Tails FOr Two, The first Speedy cartoon. It's been used alot.
Steinbeck's Lennie for all intents and purposes was....how shall I PC it?....Cognitively challenged.

Another!

And if you go to the same web page, (www.nonstick.com), click under "sounds" and then Benny, there is another where he says, " I will hug him and hug him and pet him and pet him on account of I love him." Hee hee, makes me laugh everytime. :D

Spike the Bulldog and Chester the Terrier are animated cartoon characters in the Warner Bros Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series of cartoons. Spike is a burly, grey bulldog who wears a red sweater, a brown bowler hat, and a perpetual scowl. Chester is just the opposite, small and jumpy with yellow fur and brown, perky ears.
The characters starred in only two shorts, both directed by animator Friz Freleng. The first of these films was 1952's Tree for Two. In it, Chester tells his idol Spike that he knows of a cat that they can beat up. The cat is Freleng's own Sylvester, but every time Spike thinks he has the cat cornered, a runaway zoo panther appears in Sylvester's place, thrashing the dog instead. When Chester decides to have a go of it, however, Sylvester finds himself at the little dog's mercy. By the cartoon's end, Spike and Chester have switched roles; Spike is the fawning sycophant, and Chester the smug prizefighter.
The characters' second outing came in the 1954 film Dr. Jerkyl's Hyde. Spike (here called "Alfie") is once again after Sylvester, only this time it is Sylvester himself who pummels the poor pooch, thanks to a potion that transforms him into a feline monster. Chester, of course, never sees this transformed Sylvester, thinking his buddy is being beaten by the tiny tomcat.
In both of these cartoons, Spike is performed by voice actor Mel Blanc, and Chester is performed by Stan Freberg.
Another bulldog character appeared in other cartoons with Sylvester and Tweety, but this character is not Spike; he is officially known as Hector the Bulldog.
Gratuitously lifted from factindex.com.

The humorous "love him, squeeze him, hug him" parody is particularly odd when one considers its tragic source, wherein Lenny pets a puppy to death; but I suppose if enough time passes (over 20 years, in this case), anything is funny. It could possibly be argued that every time Elmer Fudd showed weeping regret for "killing" Bugs, it was a remote parody of Lenny.

In a way I think it was a tribute to Steinbeck's Lenny that the character left that sort of lasting impression on the animators, who in most probability were all old enough to have experienced the hardships of the depression.

Remember Daffy and Buggs can't really be killed they are animated characters and in a sense many times so irritating that they deserve a little rough treatment.

What makes the character of Lenny so poignant is the fact that he is such a big man, thrown into a life that many had to live through during the depression, one of wandering the country looking for any kind of work, and enduring deprivation. Yet he took joy in small warm furry things. The real tragedy was how seemingly normal people took advantage of him. Had the forman's wife never teased him, George would never have had to take that last definitive act of responsibility. Illustrating in an heroic sort of way, that we are our "brother's keeper".

If you hadn't noticed I am a real fan of Steinbeck's.

Another reference is when Rocky the Flying Squirrel lapses into a "portrayal of Lenny" after getting sprayed with Goof Gas. :)

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

I don't have a problem with the Abominable Snow Rabbit. I think the animators stayed true to the theme of the story.

When John Steinbeck accepted his Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962, he described the writer's obligation as "dredging up to the light our dark and dangerous dreams for the purpose of improvement."

I personally sensed Hugo's (abominable snowman) loneliness and need for a friend. And then there was Bugs manipulating Hugo for his own means, willing to sacrifice Daffy. The similarities are there. But Bugs is not actually playing the George role, he is a combination of all those that felt by making fun of Lenny they improved their place in the world.

The older Bugs Bunny toons were written on many levels. I can't watch the new ones.

I can't watch the new ones.

There are new ones? Are you talking about things like Box Office Bunny (relative newness =), or his roles in Space Jam and Back in Action, or the Flash stuff on the WB site? Or are there actual shorts that are out nowadays?

Or are you talking about that horrid new futuristic series coming out?

Probably relative newness, haven't really followed him since the early 70s.

Falling Hare (1943) - Clampett [ Bugs vs Gremlin ] http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/bugs_bunny/ltbb_261.wav