Search form

Well, that's almost all she wrote.......

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, that's almost all she wrote.......

Almost to the end of the tunnel.............next week I'm giving up my post at Art Institute Vancouver (actually their Burnaby campus) and heading home to 70 Mile House.

I'd be lying if I said it was fun, as it wasn't fun being seperated by distance from my wife and pets...and my toy collection. Vancouver to 70 Mile House is 5 hours, at the best of commutes, so teaching is not in the future for me.
I found it frustrating this tenure, and I have beefs (and a few bouquets) that aren't necessary to voice specifically right now.
I gave what I had, its now in the hands of others to continue.

I get to take it a bit easier now...this is kind of/sort of a pseudo semi-retirement. I'll do freelancing from here on in..........get crackin' on some long dormant projects of my own (dormant for 20 PLUS years, oy!) and catch up on some selfishly, meaningful things.
Its about time, dammit.

I get to explore again, work on my portfolio in a proper specific way. Draw for MYSELF again. There's some artistic baggage to shed, some new courage to gain.......or regain.
Will there be big things.......or NO things from me? Not gonna say.........suspense being a sound marketing trait doncha think?

Oh, I'll probably throw in some advice/comments now and then, but my days of being a dedicated teacher are over. I want to, and just will, be a crusty ol' pro from here on.

Now, if I can just find that model kit I started working on in 1982..........

Ken Davis's picture

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

now that you've got a spare moment or two I need someone to heave a few rocks at a pesky bulbous-nosed bovine...keeps getting in the gardenias
...after that I need someone to go down to San Diego and retrieve a copy of a never seen whale film..all very hush hush..(a la tom cruise without the goofy religious nonsense)

See ya ' round, pal!

And shamu on you, Meriwether!

now that you've got a spare moment or two I need someone to heave a few rocks at a pesky bulbous-nosed bovine...keeps getting in the gardenias
...after that I need someone to go down to San Diego and retrieve a copy of a never seen whale film..all very hush hush..(a la tom cruise without the goofy religious nonsense)

The Bovine doesn't love me. Never writes, never calls.........doesn't buy me cookies (or any other num-nums) any more--I'd kill for a hot turkey sammich.
I would.

I have to go TO the Bovine to get my tummy rubs these days. So sad.

San Diego is where that never-seen whale film resides these days? I've never seen the never-seen whale film myself--though I once thought I suffered a delusion that it had been shown once..........I still do not know what was in that wonderful never-seen whale film script that everone was raving about. No-one let me read it back then..............hmpf.

Whales never-seen and bovines-that-do-not-call............no wonder I'm headed back into the forlorn Carbioo country!

At least all my GIJOE toys are up there!

Old animators never die, they just crumble away like a can of nitrate film.

That's a shame. I enjoyed reading your sound advice.

Best of luck.

Laurence Finston

I'll probably still advise.........I just won't be teaching.........but its still advice.......

Not teaching..................I won't be getting paid for it..........but I don't anyway when I post it, so..........

Good luck with the new beginning. Hope we see an origional project from you soon!

ps. at least you're not moving to Alberta

Good luck with the new beginning. Hope we see an origional project from you soon!

ps. at least you're not moving to Alberta

Just over 3 years ago, I moved to Saskatchewan, does that count??

I moved back after just over a year. Oh that was a "fun" time there........

At least the Cariboo is ......"funny".

My neighbours are all the west-coast version of the Trailer Park Boys. Oy!

Hey, Ken, on John Kricfalusi's blog he's telling everyone about a show he hopes to start called The Heartaches. You worked for him before. If he gets this going, that could mean some good steady work for you possibly. At least you won't have to put up with Mr. Leahy or Ricky or Bubbles etc....

Attachment 

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

whatever it is you decide to do i hope you continue to hook up people here with good solid advice.

San Diego is where that never-seen whale film resides these days? I've never seen the never-seen whale film myself--though I once thought I suffered a delusion that it had been shown once..........I still do not know what was in that wonderful never-seen whale film script that everone was raving about. No-one let me read it back then..............hmpf.

well, you DO understand that it was a very special film?..so special they had to lock up the pencil tests every night....I think there was more to it than they told us ...and that massive cranium....got the feeling we were working for Exeter (what was he saying to his sandwiich every lunch hour?)

as for our ungulate friend, remember that it is coming up to the rutting season, so he will be out of sorts