Search form

Guidelines/FAQ for any newbies wanting to go 3d freelence ?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Guidelines/FAQ for any newbies wanting to go 3d freelence ?

Hi, I've been touching a few things (3d modeling, game maping, game modeling, game texturing, 3d animation with 3d max 7) for about 5 years but just a bit, here and there, I'm still learning and could be considered like a beginner.

I've never worked in the 3d world and am now recently jobless. I am considering many possibilities including going 3d freelence. I have a bit of free time so I could improve my 3d skills.

Not knowing any 3d freelences, I don't know where to go to get infos, faq, guidelines to start.

What do I have to do from start up to geting my first contract ?

Do I have to be a member of somekind of association ?

Where do I go to get contracts besides form going door to door (sort of speak)?

I know I have to make sure I have a contract for any kind of work to be better protected. Are there any standard format available anywhere ? Do I have to deal with a lawyer to have one ? Or is it the client that will supply it ?

So in other words, its the old "where and how" types of questions that I have. Of course this is just all preliminaries. I want to find out if it is worth it (having enough contracts as my only means of finance). Are there any kinds of coach for this sort of thing ?

signed : a wannabe.

73 people viewed it but no one answered ?

This topic is The most asked question amongst all freelence wannabies and the decisive one to decide theire career change. This topic will help thousands of people just like me.

Because of the nature of this forum, I estimate that at least 10-25% of all members are freelances that could share theire knowledge and expert advices to all future freelances. So answering this thread would surely help a whole lot of people.

By helping all the future freelance, you will contribute into growing the amount of professional 3d workers and theirefore, help to raise the quality of all 3d work.

P.S. : to all moderators, if this topic is in the wrong place (explaining the low amout of replies), then please move it to the appropriate place and indicate where it got moved to.

Hi Browser_ice. I must've missed this post the first time around. My advice is for freelancing in general and doesn't necessarily focus only on 3D.

To start with, you don't have to be a member of any organization to freelance. Freelancing is pretty much a work for hire situation where you find someone who needs work done and you do it. I'm also not aware of a freelancing coach, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there. Mark Simon writes monthly freelance articles right here on AWN called "Mind Your Business" that are very informative. Here's a link to this month's article: http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=2812.

As for contracts, they can be provided by you or the client. It depends on the job. However, I recommend that you use your own because a client's contract may not have all of the necessary information. Your contract should detail what work you are going to do, what you are going to provide to the client, and when you are going to provide it. It should also include what your client is going to provide to you, when they are going to provide it, and the client's payment schedule (how much and when) should also be listed. Add in a specific number for revisions and be sure to include an additional fee for more revisions past the number set in the contract. You could work with a lawyer or you could write it out yourself. Just be sure to be as specific as possible. The AIGA offers a guide to help you make your own contract: http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?contentalias=standard_form.

Now the toughest part is actually finding work. Look through animation job sites and forums like AWN, go to animation related events, and network. It's always been said that most jobs aren't advertised, so it will be good to get yourself out there and to let people know that you're looking for work. It could also take 3+ months to find your next job, so you have to have some sort of back-up plan for the dry months.

Freelancing is so involved that I'm quite sure I forgot to mention something. There are other threads discussing this topic that are very insightful, so be sure to read through them. But whether or not freelancing is worth it depends on you. It can be tough and often frustrating, but it is also very rewarding, especially when you do a great job.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

Thx for the info.

These kind of information are very important to me. I have lost my job one month ago due to administrative restructurazition. I had been doing mainframe application support there for 8 years. I've always been in the mainframe area. But looking for jobs, it seams what I was doing is now extremly rare.

I'm thinking that because of this, I might have to either start at the bottom of the ladder and climb, OR do a carreer change and go 3d. Before going 3D, I would have to improve my skills and geting work in this area when no one knows you and you are considered a beginner, well, you get the idea.

I'm exploring many ideas including 3d freelence. So I need these kind of informations. I am even building up a list of companiges that deal with 3d as potential clients.

I still haven't made up my mind as to what I am going to do. Short term notice, I have to survive. Jobs out there are way below what I was doing. Doing 3d would be more earnings (that appeals to me and I like doing 3d stuff).

Glad I could help. Depending on your skill level, you may want to consider going after a salary position instead of jumping right into freelancing. But either way, you're going to have to put together a portfolio/demo reel of your work.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

Thx for the info.

These kind of information are very important to me. I have lost my job one month ago due to administrative restructurazition. I had been doing mainframe application support there for 8 years. I've always been in the mainframe area. But looking for jobs, it seams what I was doing is now extremly rare.

I'm thinking that because of this, I might have to either start at the bottom of the ladder and climb, OR do a carreer change and go 3d. Before going 3D, I would have to improve my skills and geting work in this area when no one knows you and you are considered a beginner, well, you get the idea.

I'm exploring many ideas including 3d freelence. So I need these kind of informations. I am even building up a list of companiges that deal with 3d as potential clients.

I still haven't made up my mind as to what I am going to do. Short term notice, I have to survive. Jobs out there are way below what I was doing. Doing 3d would be more earnings (that appeals to me and I like doing 3d stuff).