Search form

Price for Concept Artists

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Price for Concept Artists

Hello,

New to the forums. Just wanted to ask a quick question. What's a fair price to pay an concept artist? Should it get broken down per piece, per concept, per hour? I'd like to know what the going rates are as we are looking at artists right now for a pitch (we got the pitch, now just need some art).

Thanks,

Jack

What should I expect as a typical output. A concept a week? 2, 3? Since we are going to pay by the piece?

Thanks for all your help, BTW.

Jack

Jack.

it all depends on a lot of how complex the art work is, how good the refrences you provided are and how well you communicate and how quick you are with feedback.

but i would expect for a 6 day working week between 2 & 4 depending on all the factors above.

I myself have had my artist knock out 4 and upto 5 but everything was in house so there was no downtime and the material was very clearly explained.

Hello,

New to the forums. Just wanted to ask a quick question. What's a fair price to pay an concept artist? Should it get broken down per piece, per concept, per hour? I'd like to know what the going rates are as we are looking at artists right now for a pitch (we got the pitch, now just need some art).

Thanks,

Jack

i think it would depend on the amount of work you are looking to get done. When my firm does concept art most of it is done accordingly. We rarely work by the hour unless it is to calculate over runs or additions.

up until now worked on per week and per concept.

how much to pay? that would depend on where you are looking to get it done as well as how complex the art work needs to be, how much information you will provide (references or not etc)

Right now it's a matter of developing concept art to go into a pitch packet. So we're mosty talking about a few pieces of art, that would most likely have to be refined and changed were the concept to get a green light.

So at this stage we are thinking something along the lines of hiring a single artist to come up with some initial concept designs that will give a studio or production company and idea of what we want, but would probably by no means be the actual final art. That is to say, no model sheets at this time. Since at this time we have a small fund we'd only commission that kind of work once we had a production budget set.

So right now we're thinking a main character in costume (possibly two), a ship (it's science fiction). We are do have reference material to start out with.

Thanks for the help. I'd be willing to provide more detail if necessary.

Jack

well youd have to define the kind of look it has.
what kind of a world it is 3d/2d and things along those lines.
if you wish to conceptualise a particular shot you have in mind or if its open ended for the artist.
since its not a very big job like you said i reckon you could get away with paying per piece of art work.
i would recommend however that you ensure the person has the exact understanding and visual refrences of what you want to do and what you want to avoid.

Well this will be a 2D project (there might be some 3d for backgrounds and ships but the look will be 2D). I don't think at this stage of the game we want to do a lot of backgrounds, maybe an action shot of the hero character and and the same for the ship.

I agree that we should be able to pay by the piece. My problem is that I have no frame of reference as to what to offer an artist for his/her time. I see that guild (animation) scale here in LA is about 1,400 a week. Is that what we should pay per design/concept? I say again that the concepts will probably change afterwards and that most likely the artist that drew them won't be working on the redesigns (at least in this case with the artists that are available to us right now).

Thanks again for the help,

Jack

1400 a week to me sounds allright. Key thing being how many drawings you can get and how long you take to get them ideally.

i dont think you should go below 150$ a day (my working week is 7 some 5 )