Search form

Books on Animation

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Books on Animation

Anybody know of any good books on frame by frame animation?

Animation books

"The Animator's survival kit" is worth its weight in gold.

"Hollywood 2D Digital Animation: The New Flash Production Revolution" is a great book.

"Timing for Animation" is worth its price.

"Storytelling through Animation" is also worthwhile. Too many filmmakers neglect to nourish their craft of storytelling.

The Preston Blair book is decent and somewhat essential, even though it has a fair amount of errors--almost fun to look for them, e.g. incomplete walk cycles!

Mark Simon's Storyboarding book looks good, but I own both his 2d animation one and his book of facial expressions--and they're subpar, I'm thinking of selling both.

The Animators Survival Kit

Check out The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams.

In my opinion, the best book for learning how to animate is Richard Williams' Animator's Survival Kit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0571202284/sr=8-1/qid=1140106201/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6680048-1497669?%5Fencoding=UTF8

If you are looking how to produce your own animation at home on a computer, I found this to be a good book: Producing Independent 2D Character Animation: Making & Selling A Short Film.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240805135/qid=1140106429/sr=1-21/ref=sr_1_21/002-6680048-1497669?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

AWN.com actually has a lot of excerpts from the book if you do a search on the site.

Hope this helps.

KalEl118

The Animation Survival Kit
by Richard Williams

Animation: The Illusion of Life
by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston

Cartoon Animation
by Preston Blair

The Art of Animation Drawing
by Don Bluth

These are the books I recommend :) (I own all four)

James :cool:

Anything by Mark Simon. I met this guy recently it he's a fountain of knowledge. Written three brilliant books on facil expression storyboarding and independent 2d animation. These books go into a lot and i mean a lot of depth about the industry and the techniques. All his work is backed up on a CD with short demos of the programs he used to create his cartoons. Good Buy, get them.