Search form

Advice: Back into the swing!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice: Back into the swing!

Hi everyone! I just want to say that I keep pretty good tabs on the posts on this site and I really respect everyone's opinion, which is why I want to ask you all for your advice.

I left a full time in studio job as an assistant director 3 years ago to go on maternity leave and get my kids off to a good start, but now that they're getting older, I'm really wanting to get back into the industry. I have done some contract work as a board artist and flash animator for a couple of CDROMs while I was off just to keep my hand in it, but I have to say that in three years of being outside the loop I feel pretty discouraged, just not knowing how out of date my skills are etc.

I have a real passion for storyboarding and I'd really like to concentrate on that, but to be honest I haven't had to create a portfolio in so long as most of my jobs have been through referrals etc.

So here are my questions:
1) What do studios look for in hiring a freelance board artist for tv series, what specifically would they like to see in a portfolio?
2) I'm up to date with knowledge of Flash 8, are there any studios out there who prefer digital boards as oppose to hand drawn?
3) What differences should I be aware of when drawing a board for a 3D project as oppose to 2D?

And any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you so much!

Lisa

Hi everyone! I just want to say that I keep pretty good tabs on the posts on this site and I really respect everyone's opinion, which is why I want to ask you all for your advice.

I left a full time in studio job as an assistant director 3 years ago to go on maternity leave and get my kids off to a good start, but now that they're getting older, I'm really wanting to get back into the industry. I have done some contract work as a board artist and flash animator for a couple of CDROMs while I was off just to keep my hand in it, but I have to say that in three years of being outside the loop I feel pretty discouraged, just not knowing how out of date my skills are etc.

I have a real passion for storyboarding and I'd really like to concentrate on that, but to be honest I haven't had to create a portfolio in so long as most of my jobs have been through referrals etc.

So here are my questions:
1) What do studios look for in hiring a freelance board artist for tv series, what specifically would they like to see in a portfolio?
2) I'm up to date with knowledge of Flash 8, are there any studios out there who prefer digital boards as oppose to hand drawn?
3) What differences should I be aware of when drawing a board for a 3D project as oppose to 2D?

And any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you so much!

Lisa

Lisa--

Here's some answers:
1) aside from the usual mantra about experience and drawings skills--adherence to model, good perspective and staging etc etc etc --the current " standard" is pose-heavy ( almost layout) type 'boards. Clear use of hook-ups and sensible ( if not conservative) camera moves. Good cutting is a must. Usually do not have to show any slugging.
Usually show a sequence from something you have worked on--something that shows the gamut of abilities and demands you've experienced.
No more than 50 pages in a sample-and a range of themes is usually suggested.
Obviously, the neater and more professional the 'board is the better they like it--to the point of being "idiot-proof".

2) Yes, there are studios out there that are plunging into straight digital productions. I know of some that are foregoing paper 'boards to do them in FLASH and essentially cut out the layout step and go straight to animation from the FLASH 'boards.
Paper 'boards are still the norm, but the digital version is gaining.......a bit.

3) 3D stuff tends to have a freer camera. The availability of a swooping omni-directional camera move means that a 'board artist must consider that capability into their storytelling. More panels to convey the change of planes is what solves it. 2D shows tend to have the camera really locked down-with the camera moves being simple trucks in/out, or horizontal/vertical/diagonal pans. Just watch any domestically originated product to get an idea of what the restrictions are.

Hope that helps.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Hi Ken,
Thank you so much for your response. It sounds like not too much has changed (at least with boards) since I left. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in.

Lisa