Search form

New Ads - anyone else annoyed?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Ads - anyone else annoyed?

Yes, I understand that it helps pay the bills, allowing us to enjoy free access, blah blah blah.... Is anyone else getting annoyed by the full-screen pop-up ads that have recently made their appearance on AWN? I wouldn't mind if it only came up when I first log on, but it comes up randomly as I move about, slowing things down and beating me over the head with one of two ads.

Anyone else bothered by these, or is it just me? And Harvey; everything seems to bother him... :D

grumble grumble grumble... :D

I hate them!

I noticed them occasionally while on AWN news and stuff, but never going to the forum, and now it happens all the time. After i submit a post, click a thread, first come to the bookmarked link to here....

It is really stupid. If advertisers think people pay attention to those then well, they are crazy. I just get mad at them and NEVER actually read it.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

It's very annoying. But liveable--atleast you have the option to skip. My home computer, however, usually continues loading the darned ad about halfway through before it actually acknowledges my frantic clicking.

I bet i'll get an ad up before i can see this reply.

Well, I see that no one is using the sarcasm font!

I was for a while, but then got on a rip that didn't warrant sarcasm. I'll be back to it soon, I promise.

And yeah, the ads are annoying. They were especially annoying when my internet connection was slowed down to slightly faster than dial-up. It drives me nuts when people assume that everyone using the internet has broadband and insists on gateway pages full of flash before the actual content. Way to limit the audience.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

I still haven't clicked and I refuse to click any of their normal banners until the intro screens are removed.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

Yeah I am annoyed, and I posted in the problems and whatever forum where the tech support is supposed to watch and answer. I was beginning to think it was just me. But yeah a full page delay is just a bit too much!

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=5107

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Fortunately for me and unfortunately for advertisers, I tend to tune that kinda stuff out. I resent the placement so much that I not only won't click them for their product or service, but it's almost as if I see through them so even if someone wanted me to, say, read their free article, no dice.

I really wish advertisers would respect doing things in moderation. The more desparately an ad gets in my way, the less I will ever care and the more I think they need their arses handed to them.

It's almost like they're being condescending. "Hey, you weren't clicking us when we were banners, so NEENER NEENER WWWHHHAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOGGGAAAHHH!"

Maybe most people lack common sense, but most people aren't -stupid-, and doing that kinda stuff only makes the advertisers look stupid. What a grand idea...work up the exact same ad, but this time let's make it 17" to 21". I sincerely hope no one was hired to come up with that =P

As for this exact scenario, so far I'm blowing through them but as a matter of taste they come up at REALLY odd times. What kind of targeting is it to interrupt a person after they've submitted a reply, before they ever get to see it? I'm surprised it doesn't screw up messages. The absolute best part though, is 15 seconds...a bit of wishful thinking?

And Harvey; everything seems to bother him... :D

Honestly, DSB, you're projecting quite a bit lately. Go back and read some of your posts.

Still, I'm - of course - flattered by the attention. :)
_________
If ads are what AWN needs to survive, I can deal with it. :o

The "In Your Face" ads are a little much for me to, but I click the skip button every time. I have noticed that they stop, for me, after about five times. One thing is for sure, the advertisment is staying for a while. They, whomever they are, will check the stats in a month. I just hope they do not dail it up.

Honestly, DSB, you're projecting quite a bit lately. Go back and read some of your posts.

Honestly, Harv; I was just kidding. That's what this :D meant....

You always have my full attention :D <----- note international kidding symbol

We've pulled the interstitial ads from the Forums

Please understand that AWN is "completely" advertising supported. This is the first time we've had requests for interstitial ads and the Mirror Mask campaign is the biggest we've ever had in 10 years of operation. I understand no one likes those or any other ads. Please remember that they help us pay the bills. With a staff of 9 full time employees, that's not a trivial undertaking.

As an aside, the interstital ads generate an order of magnitude greater clickthrough rate than other ads so they're popular with the advertising community.

With that said, we've pulled them from the Forums. The randomness you saw was actually a deliberate attempt to make them less intrusive, by having them display only a few times in a 12 hour period and only if you hit a subsequent page after a 3 minute gap.

Of course, this methodology made the ads much more intrusive on the forums than anywhere else on the site, so I apologize. You shouldn't see them anymore in the Forums.

Dan

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

Honestly, Harv; I was just kidding. That's what this :D meant....

You always have my full attention :D <----- note international kidding symbol

Honesty, D, I'm fine with it. That's what this :) meant.

I always appreciate your obsession with me. :) <----- note international fine symbol

Thanks Dan, I understand your need for advertising and even make a point of clicking a couple of your ads each week to ad to your earnings. But here in the forums they were intrusive.

I have to give AWN cudos though for mainly using banner ads that are related to the interests here. That's why it's not hard to click on them occassionally. I especially like the ones related to new film releases. But I have clicked on the Apexx/AMD ad, just to see what the rich folks can afford.

Half the time with the interstitials I got a Action Canceled picture and no ad. May have something to do with my security settings or my slow dialup. That's what I get most of the time with the upper banner here, but I am used to it.

I just ignore them and click the little "skip this ad" thingie at the top.

:confused: <---- international symbol for WTF?

-Cathy

When I started this thread, I began by saying up front that we all understand (and appreciate) that AWN is ad-supported. Thanks to Dan for addressing the issue in the forums. Like I said at the beginning, I don't mind if it pops up when I first hit the site - that's expected these days. Having it pop after every second or third topic view was a bit much, though, and I appreciate the staff at AWN taking it seriously and addressing it.

Gotta go - I have an ad to go click through... ;)

Kidding aside,
;) <----- this is truly the international kidding symbol or "we have a secret" symbol or "let's get it on" symbol
:D <----- this is the international laughing symbol or "I take great joy in what I just said" symbol or "I'm extremely happy" symbol

To follow through on my promise to not click on any ads until they were removed, I've been clicking all of the banners and spending some time on each of the pages to show my appreciation for the intersticial ads being removed.

Thanks for the response, Dan.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

Thanks for your understanding

I appreciate your understanding of the situation. Your clicking on ads is appreciated as well.

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

Well, I see that no one is using the sarcasm font!

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!