Search form

The Original Disney Bambi

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Original Disney Bambi

I just watched it yesterday for the first time in years. Now that I've dabbled in animation, I was just amazed at how beautiful it was. The scene during Bambi's first rain I had to watch three times. Those guys really stretched their skills in this film.

And although the backgrounds were shaded and detailed, the characters had volume but strictly through the use of line and flat color. Yet they were all integrated so well.

The only disappointments were some shots of the "king" buck. As a kid I remember him as so impressive, but now that I am old and more critical of the "art" part of the whole thing. It looked like in certain silouhettes and shots they really simplified him and the other bucks down too much at times. It seemed like they used some of the same basic sacrifices I do with my Flash stuff to keep size down.

Anyway, thought I'd share my Bambi experience with you.

If you are into effects, Bambi has it all , lighting, scrolling, fire, water, smoke, mist it's all in there to get ideas from. And they did it all without the aid of computers. If you are observant you can learn a lot from this film.

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Will the sequel be a cinematic release, or a modest direct-to-video affair? Just curious.

No theatrical release, strictly DVD. I read a review on it, and it covers Bambi's time after his mother dies and he follows his father. It's supposed to be all about the father/son relationship.

Absolutely. And it goes back further than that. There's a black-and-white Mickey where he's being attacked by a flock of bugs, and the animation on the bugs was brilliant. As I watched it, I thought about how it was all accomplished with nothing more than pencil and paper.

It's just amazing when you look at the amount of detail in every frame. Not to mention that the characters and script and music were pretty good as well.

hey folks... those of you that know me also probably know that I haven't been around in ages... just thought I'd make a comment... I adore Bambi... =) it's excellent for animation... it's absolutely beautiful...

I've gotta say that most Disney movies like Lion King, the Little Mermaid, Aladdian, etc... are all so nicely done. =D Bambi is a personal favorite of mine... it's very cute.

anyone think that a sequel's gonna destroy it? feel free to rant.

The reason I even bothered to watch the original was because I'd seen the comercial for the sequel. I wanted see for myself what the original was all about again. Since I'd seen it many years ago. I'd forgot much of the original story. Who knew Bambi had twins.....I didn't remember that. I was a kid when I saw it the first time. And later I pretended to watch it with nieces and nephews, I wasn't really paying attention to it. My attitude was nice Disney pic.

Actually I am kind of looking forward to seeing the sequel, with computers some of that stuff has got to be a whole lot easier to accomplish. I don't want to see it for the story, but to compare the level of animation. I hope it wasn't outsourced to a bunch of animators that really don't care. But I think I already know the answer to that.

while i havent watched Bambi in years, i did watch Dumbo some months ago and the sheer labour of creating a film like that all those years ago, which is so rich and would kill on DVD just boggles my mind.

Dumbo is one of my favorites too, haven't watched it since I was a kid. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of it.

Dumbo is one of my favorites too, haven't watched it since I was a kid. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of it.

very difficult to do that. the copy i have is a smuggled Mandarin copy...

I have a friend that has a lot of the Disney VHS versions, and since I only have a vcr, and she has three dvd players, I am sure she won't mind loaning it to me. I am pretty sure she has a copy.