Search form

Very Short Cartoon

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Very Short Cartoon

This was done for my Intermediate 2D animation class to demonstrate a "take"

Enjoy!

Take

Unless it is established in the story that the guy was near-sighted and we are shown that he thought it was a beatiful girl, the gag doesn't work because we see first it's a horse in a dress...you gave away the punchline at the begining. In Avery or Clampett cartoons a gag like this is where they're panning up these lucious legs and body and we get to a face that was obscured or veiled-it turns out to be ugly and then the guy takes.

The poses themselves for your take are getting there. You need to take the anticipation further and then overshoot a little on the take and come back to the final take pose...like a moving hold.....but not too long. In drawn animation those inbetweens to the final pose could be played somewhat out of order to create a stagger...that jitterry effect. In flash it is best to have elements like the limbs, eyes, mustache etc saved as seperate symbols for the final pose. For the mustache specifically I would have one smooth, one rougher and then on even more saw- toothy in a timeline of a graphic symbol and play the instances when he takes 1,2,1,3,2,3,2,1 etc. The face carries the expression so you may scale eyes and mouth but not to the point of distortion. What you take away percentagewise from a width,add to a height (or vice versa) for a sort of faux stretch and squash. All these symbols that would make up a character could be animated in one final symbol. In Flash I accomplish staggers by tweening the symbol scaling, converting that timeline to all keyframes, remove the tweens, then copy frames from that level to another level out of order for howver long I want. I ditch the original level.

Your work is coming along nicely, keep your self animated. :D

Unless it is established in the story that the guy was near-sighted and we are shown that he thought it was a beatiful girl, the gag doesn't work because we see first it's a horse in a dress...you gave away the punchline at the begining. In Avery or Clampett cartoons a gag like this is where they're panning up these lucious legs and body and we get to a face that was obscured or veiled-it turns out to be ugly and then the guy takes.

The poses themselves for your take are getting there. You need to take the anticipation further and then overshoot a little on the take and come back to the final take pose...like a moving hold.....but not too long. In drawn animation those inbetweens to the final pose could be played somewhat out of order to create a stagger...that jitterry effect. In flash it is best to have elements like the limbs, eyes, mustache etc saved as seperate symbols for the final pose. For the mustache specifically I would have one smooth, one rougher and then on even more saw- toothy in a timeline of a graphic symbol and play the instances when he takes 1,2,1,3,2,3,2,1 etc. The face carries the expression so you may scale eyes and mouth but not to the point of distortion. What you take away percentagewise from a width,add to a height (or vice versa) for a sort of faux stretch and squash. All these symbols that would make up a character could be animated in one final symbol. In Flash I accomplish staggers by tweening the symbol scaling, converting that timeline to all keyframes, remove the tweens, then copy frames from that level to another level out of order for howver long I want. I ditch the original level.

Rather than it being he thinks its a beautiful woman its really him reacting in shock of seeing a horse in a dress and wig. Guess I didn't seel that idea.

I see what you're saying about overshooting and the setteling into the take. Its right here in my Richard Williams book. I have no accent before the take. Maybe I'll get around to fixing this when I have the time.

As for the mustache it was meant to pop like that. To echo the pop from the down to the up. Again, I didn't sell it it seems.

My biggest weakness is that I don't exagerate enough I think. Something I really need to work on. Thanks for the input.