Search form

naked emperor

oh my..someone has finally given queen charlotte (she who runs that OTHER cartoon website like a military camp) a good talking to about bigotry...go check it out before her highness deletes the thread (dont get her mad, she has god on her side)

Ken Davis's picture
Submitted by Ken Davis on

what the **** does that have to do with Animation?

When that particular site owner has something to spew on whatever topic then whatever it is happens to be about animation..............just cuz he says so.

I have objections to the lead personality over there. He's banned a few of my colleagues, not for doing anything trollish or untoward, but JUST because their nationality and opinions do not match his own. He's been deliberately rude to talent from elsewhere, like parts north, and scuttles back behind veiled barbs when one of his compatriots questions the fairness of the jabs.
He has NO problem accepting the cash of anyone from anywhere though.
There's a rumour that's gone around that a particularily prominent animator in his locale, a once-frequent and vocal poster on AN got so deep under his skin on some issue that this person is now literally persona-non grata and even mentioning their name on the site get's the post deleted and the poster warned or even booted completely.

There's policing a site and then there's jackboot policing a site, and I think the latter philosophy took over years ago.
Its relevance as a on-line industry leader is not what it once was, if it EVER was, and what relevance it touts seems to be mostly in its leaders head.
The commentaries from the site ownerabout Disney execs became very embarrassing to read because he was so unabashedly virulent on the matter--imo, to the point of sounding libelous. This is NOT the kind of person I want representing my industry.

I thought my feelings on that forum were only one of few, but I'm a bit surprised to see I'm far from alone in my opinions of the site.

They do their thing and others, like this forum, do something different.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

skinnylizard's picture

When that particular site owner has something to spew on whatever topic then whatever it is happens to be about animation..............just cuz he says so.

I have objections to the lead personality over there. He's banned a few of my colleagues, not for doing anything trollish or untoward, but JUST because their nationality and opinions do not match his own. He's been deliberately rude to talent from elsewhere, like parts north, and scuttles back behind veiled barbs when one of his compatriots questions the fairness of the jabs.
He has NO problem accepting the cash of anyone from anywhere though.
There's a rumour that's gone around that a particularily prominent animator in his locale, a once-frequent and vocal poster on AN got so deep under his skin on some issue that this person is now literally persona-non grata and even mentioning their name on the site get's the post deleted and the poster warned or even booted completely.

There's policing a site and then there's jackboot policing a site, and I think the latter philosophy took over years ago.
Its relevance as a on-line industry leader is not what it once was, if it EVER was, and what relevance it touts seems to be mostly in its leaders head.
The commentaries from the site ownerabout Disney execs became very embarrassing to read because he was so unabashedly virulent on the matter--imo, to the point of sounding libelous. This is NOT the kind of person I want representing my industry.

I thought my feelings on that forum were only one of few, but I'm a bit surprised to see I'm far from alone in my opinions of the site.

They do their thing and others, like this forum, do something different.

what kind of a viewer is then a participant of AN?

im asking not in rhetoric but what kinda audience does he attract? is it similar morons or what?

i guess you can AN vs AWN is like i dont know Despot vs Democracy huh?

Ken Davis's picture

what kind of a viewer is then a participant of AN?

im asking not in rhetoric but what kinda audience does he attract? is it similar morons or what?

i guess you can AN vs AWN is like i dont know Despot vs Democracy huh?

It seems to be a diverse crowd of people that seem to be really serious about and genuinely give a shit about animation.

There's some folks on there that I know personally, and respect greatly, some I know that I respect less, and some that I know of only on that site and couldn't give a hang about.

My guess is some of them get led to it by various means, lurk and gain some idea of the tone of the discussion and then decide to particpate.
Its their choice and I have little to no condemnation of any of them for it.
My own critical view of the site is directly mostly at its leader, and his oddly managed economy concept--one that is about 3 years behind its self-appointed schedule.

As for as despotic........that might be going too far. I'd be more charitable and say its just tightly controlled by someone with a almost paranoia about controlling the tenor of the site.
AN is different, not necessarily better in the scope of its discussion, but just different.
It shares a LOT of the same kinds of repetitive topics as other forums on the craft, but those kinds of topics can be repeated her ad nauseum without censure from "da boss" because things are a bit more hands off.
The posters here seem to grudgingly respect that.
Over on AN, if there was a " anime sucks" thread every other week there'd be heads rolling.
My take is that AWN is kind of like a more accessible AN-lite. Same great taste, just less gas.

DIEMERAS Dark Angel's picture

Congratulations to Diemeras for making his first rational post.

:D Hey....thanks.
And congratulations for not yelling at me (big brother Harvey):)

It's just I don't like Charles' rash personality, and he is our common foe, so we should band together and destroy him!:)

He who seeks the truth, must first empty his heart of a false pursuit.

Diemeras Dark Angel

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

As for as despotic........that might be going too far. I'd be more charitable and say its just tightly controlled by someone with a almost paranoia about controlling the tenor of the site.

As is his right, considering that (until recently) he paid the bills related to the site. Who among us wouldn't want some control over the way the boards on a site we set up were used?

As I said before, his "pay for play" approach rubs me the wrong way, so I don't participate. But I don't begrudge him his desire to have his site run his way, and if he can get hundreds of others to pay the bills why toeing the line content-wise, then he's one heck of a salesman.

Ken Davis's picture

That's Chaz for ya.
Props to Amid for having the stones to speak up and throw some water on it.
The "turban-bomb" comment by the "site owner" raised my eyebrows.

Stuff like that is why I will not particpate in that forum or support their "dependant economy" concept.

Dependent on whether you agree with the guy or not.

Its unfortunate that that kind of side of a supposed representative of the Animation industry has to be shown for all to see.
$5 says the whole thread'll be gone (and probably Amid and a couple of others as well) by tomorrow after he get's his two cents in.

Ken Davis's picture

BTW, on the site and thread in question here, the topic was locked by the site owner and only HE is making contributions to it--no-one else is allowed to.
I guess the offense taken at his stance by others means that he MUST get the last word in to the exclusion of their POV.

Unbelievable.

Ken Davis's picture

which other website? Are you talking in code? please post a link!!

Eeet eeez zeeeee NAYSHUN of zeeeeee AnaMAYshun vere you vill find zeeeee infoMAYshun.

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

Doesn't really matter. According to his post in this thread, he's "moving on" to other things. It'll be interesting to see if the site continues or dries up and blows away.

Ken Davis's picture

As is his right, considering that (until recently) he paid the bills related to the site. Who among us wouldn't want some control over the way the boards on a site we set up were used?

As I said before, his "pay for play" approach rubs me the wrong way, so I don't participate. But I don't begrudge him his desire to have his site run his way, and if he can get hundreds of others to pay the bills why toeing the line content-wise, then he's one heck of a salesman.

I'm of the same mind on this. He's in the right to control the site he pays for.
And he can offer up whatever schemes he wants to make money, for whatever he wants.
And like you, I neither have to approve or participate.

I do find his tact on several things to be borderline disturbing though.

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

I do find he tact on several things to be borderline disturbing though.

Can't disagree with you there... :D

phacker's picture
Submitted by phacker on

I am sure I've been deactivated over there. Never felt like home anyway. Not the way AWN does. They always seemed to be in the mist of a pissing war on one subject or another.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

Stuff like that is why I will not particpate in that forum or support their "dependant economy" concept.

Dependent on whether you agree with the guy or not.

That site strikes me as a "pay for play" site. The whole "IE" concept is a way to get the server bills paid.

Back when it was first proposed, it was supposed to be a way to fund independent work, although my inner skeptic wondered just who would decide what projects got funded. I was pretty sure it wouldn't be mine, and that's part of the reason I also don't "belong". Now that the cash goes to pay for bandwidth, I'm even less inclined. I belong to plenty of other boards where cash isn't a prerequisite to having your say.

To be fair, disagreement seems to be fairly well tolerated there. My gripe is that if you're not kicking into the coffers, your opinion counts for less, and you can pretty much be sure you'll be told not to post so much.

mr. meriwether's picture

whenever I see that khaki coloured site and read the patriotic ramblings of it's "we can changed the world" leader (and his loving followers) I think of curtis sliwa and his band of loser cop wannabes...and all that sucking up to "uncle Roy" was like something out of William S Burroughs...but that's just my opinion

mr. meriwether's picture

well, she obviously doesnt read the postings over here either, because her bigoted tirade continues (and seems to be even more vehement, judging by the latest "facts" she's posted)..nothing worse than listening to someone rant on about "my religion right, yours wrong ( just as bad as "my country great, yours evil")

cartoonchaos's picture

I am sure I've been deactivated over there. Never felt like home anyway. Not the way AWN does. They always seemed to be in the mist of a pissing war on one subject or another.

I 100% agree.

I'm sure I'm deactivated over there and I really don't care much. Like Ken said, AWN is sorta like a lite, 0 carbs 0 calories version of AN, but it feels more like home here with a good mix of professionals, students and fanboys.

Hopefully, the AN animators will (and should) find a home here. If there's anyone with an active account over there, they should extend them a cordial invitation.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

ULALUME's picture
Submitted by ULALUME on

That other animation site with "Charles in Charge" has declined dramatically in the last four years. This latest incident of him locking a thread, and then using it as his own personal 'blog' is further proof the problem with "his" site.
When he disagrees with anyone or worse if they disagree with his point of view or opinion the thread is locked and you could be banned from the site.
Whether it be on a topic about animation or some other important thread it must be to the liking of Chuckles the Academy King or else.
He is in the wrong industry me thinks.

Animated Ape's picture

To be fair, disagreement seems to be fairly well tolerated there.

It is unless you openly dissagree with Charles. Then he'll just up and ban you from his site. :D

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

mr. meriwether's picture

Ula, my darling so good to hear from you again...where ya been hiding?..some final board meeting of the Hudson's Bay Company??
..I thought for sure I would get you to crawl out of the woodwork with my last trivia question, (especially with that vast cranial knowledge you have of all things animation, but alas, it went unanswered...more fool me for asking a question that had NOTHING to do with disney or cartoons that came out after Star Wars)

DSB's picture
Submitted by DSB on

It is unless you openly dissagree with Charles. Then he'll just up and ban you from his site. :D

I'll take your word for it, Ape. I never had cause to openly disagree with Charles (back when you could get an account on the site for free, that is...);)

skinnylizard's picture

never really been there.

whats the 411 on it?

edit. i googled it. wow, its like a separate dimension over there. mondo weird. wats the turban comment. it sounds offensive.

skinnylizard's picture

just out of curiosity who is US and who is THEM?

is it regarding the people who pay and not pay or is it a national thing?

DIEMERAS Dark Angel's picture

Oh...I get it, this is about animation nation is it, like I said that site needs much to be desired, it is ugly and the comments made there by Charles is totally incoherent.
He says he is striving for fairness, in the animation industry, for animators but if he wants to be taken seriously, first deal with the attitude and then deal with that hideous site, give it a makeover or something.
I don't know why people speak of him like the devil or something, I mean, he's that powerful, and that much of a bitch. Dang, guys he is only human, he can be beaten, I would love to battle him:mad: man, I'll destroy him, if you think I'm easy here, I like you guys, so I absorb your comments, but Charles, no mercy.
I will agree with the ever illustrious....Bioptix, :) I like that name.

He who seeks the truth, must first empty his heart of a false pursuit.

Diemeras Dark Angel

Cathy's picture
Submitted by Cathy on

Animation Nation scared me.

Harvey Human's picture

Animation Nation stinks.
Toon Zone is terrible.

If they had less power-mad moderators, they'd be good forums.

Meriwether, please try to be a little less cryptic with your thread titles and introductory posts. Sometimes illumination is more important than showmanship.

Congratulations to Diemeras for making his first rational post.

skinnylizard's picture

Sorry not to explain. The discussion going on there is similar (in theme) to the one here about the contraversial cartoons. Charles says that since 9/11 it's about us vs Them (meaning The West vs Islam(the entire faith).

what the **** does that have to do with Animation?