Search form

What Ever Happened 2 Saturday Mornings?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
What Ever Happened 2 Saturday Mornings?

What happened to the thrill of getting up on Saturdays, in your Pjs, eating Cap'N Crunch, turning on the tube to watch those toons you loved? Maybe its just me, but today it doesn't seem like the thrill of saturday mornings is there anymore, not like it was in the 70s or the 80s and in the 90s when i mostly grew up. It just doesn't seem that much of a spectacle anymore. I used to couldn't wait for saturday mornings (or afternoons after school) to see the old disney cartoons and Inspector Gadjet, Scobby n the gang, Fred and Barney's shannanigans, Underdog saving the day, and yes even the smurfs and their rivals the snorks.

Do Networks like ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX no longer care about that kickoff party for the weekend that kids enjoy!

Nowadays it seems like i see a lot of Live action junk like PowerRangers: Space Police Against Time Lost In Space somewhere or Darcy's wildlife, and Endurance with the occassional toon thrown in. And There are channels like the WB which just ressurrected its weak but THERE saturday lineup. So, is it just an effect of me growing up or is Saturday Morning *tear* dead? Am i the onlyone stuck in this fantasy?

Saider E.'s picture
What would scooby do?

What would scooby do?

yeah, saturday mornings are pretty much dead. i think the last show i remember setting my alarm to watch was beast machines.

they don't show cartoons early in the morning on weekdays anymore either. i remember having to wake up to go to school, and watching garfield and freinds and a bunch of other stuff. now they just show infomercials.

for me now, it's all about saturday nights on cartoonnetwork, just cus i like some of the toonami/adultswim stuff.

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

um....ever hear of nickelodeon and cartoon network? saturday mornings. thats where i get mine.

Doesnt the WB still do em? Also, nickelodeon starts and continues theirs pretty late. Back when i watched saturday morning cartoons as a kid it was rarely past 10.

I only watch Nick and CN because the other stations never really have anything too amazing, so i guess i really have no clue what these channels play in the mornings.

I mean honestly looking back we only like or thought they were so awesome because we grew up with them. But in reality they were not that great of shows. I look back at the smurfs and i say "what the heck is this stupid crap?" I look at the old Ninja Turtles and say, "wow, it was this bad?"

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

about my family
all the week become "saturday"
OUR TV IS ALWAYS ON

we must offer our hands...... if it's to touch others'hearts

It was the war

Hello.

Actually, it was the Gulf War (the first one) which changed everything.

The networks found that folks would watch news (and war) 24/7.

Until then, Saturday was thought to only attract kiddies who watched TV while their folks slept in for the morning.

The war changed all that when folks in the U.S. watch day and night.

Maybe someday when there is no war- the networks will change back.

We lived in Ireland at the time- Europe has always kept their mainstream animation for kids.

Thanks.

Saturday morning stopped existing in the early 90's when CBS and NBC stopped running childrens programming and shifted over to sports or news shows.
Sure, FOX and ABC continue to run blocks on that weekend morning with cartoons and such, but without the other networks competing, the spirit of it is gone.
My youngest step-son looks at me with genuine puzzlement when I talk about Saturday morning cartoons--because he has no understanding or asssociation to the concept.
He get's his cartoons at all hours because of dedicated channels like Canada's YTV and Teletoon.

Its not the same, imo.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Saturday morning stopped existing in the early 90's when CBS and NBC stopped running childrens programming and shifted over to sports or news shows.
Sure, FOX and ABC continue to run blocks on that weekend morning with cartoons and such, but without the other networks competing, the spirit of it is gone.
My youngest step-son looks at me with genuine puzzlement when I talk about Saturday morning cartoons--because he has no understanding or asssociation to the concept.
He get's his cartoons at all hours because of dedicated channels like Canada's YTV and Teletoon.

Its not the same, imo.

You nailed it, cable plus network equals roulette scheduling of kids shows. Shows are just chips in one very big, very high stake, game for money. I have notices that all of the networks are starting to bring in blocks of kids programming.

Its not the same, imo.

That's what made me bring up this queston. It just seems lik the younglings are miissing out on what was once the greatest time for cartoons. But I guess now that we have Cartoon Network and Nickolodeon, Noggin and etc. There's no need for a specific time for cartoons to air. But it still would be great.

What would scooby do?

You nailed it, cable plus network equals roulette scheduling of kids shows. Shows are just chips in one very big, very high stake, game for money. I have notices that all of the networks are starting to bring in blocks of kids programming.

Ah, money:mad:

the dreaded rival of quality, timeless and memorable tv. everything is so money, money, money!!! maybe I'm naive, maybe money really does make the world go 'round.

What would scooby do?