Search form

Help: Identify this Liquid TV Short!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help: Identify this Liquid TV Short!

In season two of Liquid Television (92-93) in episode 8, according to Wikipedia, there was a B+W short called the Street Sweeper. It looks like animated charcoal drawings or rough pencil. I must've been 10 at the time, but I was in awe of this piece- the way it was animated, the sounds, everything about it. It was the catalyst that got me into animation.

So who is it by? Where can I find a copy? It's not on the Liquid TV comp DVD.

If you might have seen it, but aren't sure: it's about a street sweeper who stands watch over this section of sidewalk. Someone parks a car there, and he jams the vehicle into the drain with his broom and wipes everything clean again. Then this little girl loses her bouncy ball in the drain and he pulls out everything he's ever jammed in there, which fills up a city block with like, boats, cars, all this stuff. I think it ends with him being arrested and taken away, but honestly I haven't seen it since- so my memory of it is blurry.

heheh, np kdiddy. That's called THE RUNNING MAN, another of my Liquid TV favs. I think that's directed by Kawajiri (of Ninja Scroll/Animatrix fame.) You can find it on a DVD comp called "NEO TOKYO" with two other worthwhile shorts- Labyrinth Labyrinthos by Rintaro and Construction Cancellation Order by Otomo. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVV92/qid=1138170889/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0554393-7599159?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130 I found it a worthwhile purchase.

That is outstanding! I've been thinking about that short since the mid-80's and just never thought of asking all my awn buddies (I should have known better).
Finally, can check it out again! Thank you!

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

My pleasure... Sometimes finding an old, inspiring short is like finding an old friend. ;)

Thanks, Wontobe- I checked Imdb, I think that "Street Sweeper," is a Canadian feature. It is strange that TV.com puts it in episode 14 and Wiki puts it at 8... *theremin music* ...Strange indeed... Never thought of checking Onion A/V, which I'll do eventually... just seems like there's no better place to indentify elusive animation than AWN.

Any other clues would lead to lavish praise of your knowledge of animation history. And... if you're in the NYC area I'll buy you a drink. That's praise and a possible drink, people- C'mon now!

So, without further ado...

...I will shamelessly piggyback yet again (especially shameless insomuch as Oberyn has his/her reply now! :D ).

One laugh-out-loud clip from LqTV that I miss seeing (and am not sure if it shows up on this much-maligned collection/DVD that MTV appears to have randomly TOSSED together) featured a computer-animated tundra, onto which drop in three alien creatures. The "foot" of the creature looks like the base of a barber's chair, extending in a stem up to a bulbous body. From there, another stem leads to a bulbous head with large eyes and a long snout. There is no dialog, save the sound of the wind blowing around this strange planet.

Suddenly, as the creatures are sort of eyeballing each other, this plant-like object with ball-shaped fruit - comparatively small to the size of the creatures - arises from the desolate soil. This immediately has the creatures wide-eyed, and they BOING! over to it to see if it's edible, which - as luck would have it - it is. One sucks up a ball, and a few seconds later, spontaneously inflates to about four times its original size... and then passes an equal amount of wind in the manner that a BALLOON might (the creature's rear end, in fact, appears to be a balloon neck), thus deflating again to normal!! As I find flatulence to be rather hilarious, you might imagine how hard I laughed at this. The bit continues along this line until all the balls are exhausted. The plant replenishes itself, and one of the creatures decides eventually to have three of these fruit at once. HILARITY ENSUES.

I can NOT locate a SOUL who has seen this animation. I am NOT a crazy person, and I KNOW that it was on Liquid TV. Any ideas? (And I think we ought to petition MTV to put out another *better* LqTV DVD.)

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Gas Planet

it's by eric darnell who has gone on to direct antz and madagascar.
i'm pretty sure that him doing that short led to the antz director gig and then on and on and on. you never know where a good personal animation will get you!

While you guys are at it (forgive me for piggy backing on your thread), I remember a Liquid TV short about a futuristic car/ship race, heavily detailed anime, where the guy raced so fast is car blew apart. Lots of blues and darker colors, it felt like he was racing at night (or near to it).

Paraphrasing it doesn't sound so cool, but I thought it was awesome (of course that was twenty years ago). If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

tv.com put "The Street Sweeper" in episode 14.

http://www.tv.com/liquid-television/episode-14/episode/412728/summary.html

There is a movie out called "The Street Sweeper" so you might wont to look into that, I found it in imdb.com

I found A.V. Club, avclub.com, and they have a bulletin board.

good luck.

I remember a Liquid TV short about a futuristic car/ship race, heavily detailed anime, where the guy raced so fast is car blew apart. Lots of blues and darker colors, it felt like he was racing at night (or near to it).If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know.

heheh, np kdiddy. That's called THE RUNNING MAN, another of my Liquid TV favs. I think that's directed by Kawajiri (of Ninja Scroll/Animatrix fame.) You can find it on a DVD comp called "NEO TOKYO" with two other worthwhile shorts- Labyrinth Labyrinthos by Rintaro and Construction Cancellation Order by Otomo. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVV92/qid=1138170889/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0554393-7599159?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130 I found it a worthwhile purchase.