Search form

Working in Animation?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Working in Animation?

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering how many people out there actually work within the animation industry? I'd really love to hear from those of you who do as well as those of you who are still trying to get into it.

Perhaps the professional animators out there could give us some tips for finding work?

I'd also really like to hear from anyone who has set up their own animation company...that must be so exciting! :)

Hope to hear from you,

Amy

I've had my own studio for about six years now. There have been dry spells and wet spells, but there's nothing quite like being your own boss, setting your own hours, and rolling out of bed right to your desk and being at work!

I'm not so sure that working at a studio is necessary. I started freelancing in school and that's all I've ever done. But admittedly, it's definitely not for everyone. The business side and dry spells aren't fun.

I would redefine "it's who you know" as "it's important to establish good relationships" in this industry. First and foremost is the talent and skill. You have to prove yourself and your abilities. But at the same time you have to be reliable, trust-worthy, efficient, and personable. You can't know those things without having a good working relationship, so relationships are important.

If you're talented and can get along with others as well as take direction or give direction as necessary, then you should be fine.

for the record, i was kidding. its a lot of hard work but i wouldnt have it any other way. its especially rough sometimes because there are things you want to do but cant coz you dont have the resources or in some cases cant allocate them.
but dont get bogged down by the thought of it. i was in the same boat months ago and its worked out ok so far

Hello,

I've been in the industry for 4 years - 1 in visual effects and 3 in feature animation. I had to move continents for the job, but I am loving it.

It's funny that internships have been mentioned, seeing as I just finished writing to MightyMew about them. (DW offers a few, here and there). I don't think there's anything super hard about grabbing one, but you do need to be in the right place at the right time. Knowing someone who works at the company is usually a great help in this respect, too.

Hope this helps,
K

We have started our own animation company

Hello Amy,

This industry is tough, we have started our own animation company. We are just about complete with the development of our first animated series. You can get a peek at www.bwocartoon.com. Let me know if you like what you see. This is actually just the first version of this site. We will have a new one in April or May.

ab

Hello Amy

Hello Amy,

I have been around the biz for over 30 years. Mostly of the time in production with a very wonderful dabbling in teaching. I was always teaching folks at my studio- anyway. At one time, we had about 40 folks working for us.

I am now doing more projects and cutting back on my teaching.

Thanks.

Getting Work In London

Hi Amy

I've been working in Animation in London for about 5 years now. It's a small industry with an established 'old guard' and lots of new graduates every year. That means getting work is tough, especially at the kinds of places you've probably heard of and admire.

My advice would be to think laterally. There's lots of work about in New Media which is basically animation which you can cut your teeth on. Incidentally that's where I think the opportunities are for any potential new studio as well.

Here's a couple of things I've spotted in my unhealthy trawl around the internet looking for jobs even though I've got one 'till April (does anybody else do this?)

http://www.noagenciesplease.com/index.html?action=job&id=13169

http://www.grapevinejobs.com/index.asp?Page=jobseeker/jobseeker_jobs_more_detail.asp?client_job_id=11867

I think either would be a great 'first job' for a graduate.

Good luck

Bentos

Hey Listen!

Hi amy, I work in the Television Animation Industry, I guess I'm one of a kind, because I seem to be the only one here who work in this division, I wish there was at least one more person, some one who's here often.
Anywho, I do hope you find success in you ventures, and listen to what the others have to say, they are very wise and they will surely help you significantly :)

He who seeks the truth, must first empty his heart of a false pursuit.

Diemeras Dark Angel

Hi Amy. I too would have to say it's who you know. It's not bad thing. You still have to have talent, most people won't recomend someone for a position if they can't do the job. After all it's their reputation on the line too. Think of it as a letter of recomendation. There are so many appicants for jobs, but if someone the recruiter knows says, "such and such person is good" you have a better chance than being some unknow off the street. This isn't to say you have to know someone. If you are very talented and they need someone with your skills, you have a good chance to get in.

Just keep plugging away and become the best you can be. A good way to get to meet people is through internships. That way you get to know how a studios works, meet people and learn a ton.

Oh, I work as a Lead Animator at Renegade Animation, animating on "Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi," and befor that an animator on "Fosters' Home for Imaginary Friends" at Cartoon Network.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

hi amy,
i set up a studio in 2005 & its a pain in the a**

Really?? I was thinking about setting up a studio but, to be honest with you, don't know where to start. Must be exciting as well as a lot of work.

Make sure you've worked in a studio before you go about trying to set one up. It isn't impossible, but it'll make things much easier if you have some experience. If you can say, "they did that really well" and "they should have been doing that", then you're on the right track. And it isn't the same as reading the tech magazines, visiting forums, websites, etc.

I work in the SFX industry. I'm hoping to work my way over to the feature animation industry. I've been working as a layout artist/matchmover/previs artist.

I never wanted to admit it, but there is a large dose of "it's who you know" in this business. Look at from the company's perspective. Studios will get hundreds (probably thousands in the case of Pixar) of resumes and reels a week when they post a job. Most will be qualified according to the material sent. If someone can vouch for an individual's abilities and ability to play nice, it will go a long way towards sorting through that pile of applicants.

I got my start by knowing someone. In actuality, every job, except my last, I got through someone I knew. I met him in school, he went off on a different path and did very well for himself. Years later I came back from film and went into animation, we were still friends and he knew of an opening at a studio he was at. Since then, he's gotten me 2 more jobs, and I've gotten another through someone I met at my first job.

Now, keep in mind, knowing someone may get you a job once, what you know will get you the second job (and having a descent personality really doesn't hurt either). I wouldn't have been offered the jobs if I didn't know what I was doing, friends or not.

Don't get too down if you don't know anyone. It is possible to get your start without anyone's help, I'm sure there are a number of people here that can attest to that. Go to conventions, frequent boards like this, build a killer reel and portfolio, be sure to stop drawing enough to make friends (you never know who'll make it out there first). Be persistant. It can take a long time (7 years after graduating undergrad, working for 3 years in small jobs and going back to grad for animation for me), but once you're in it gets much easier.

Good luck!

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

Hi Everyone!

I was just wondering how many people out there actually work within the animation industry? I'd really love to hear from those of you who do as well as those of you who are still trying to get into it.

Perhaps the professional animators out there could give us some tips for finding work?

I'd also really like to hear from anyone who has set up their own animation company...that must be so exciting! :)

Hope to hear from you,

Amy

I've been in the biz for over 20 years now.

Best advice I can give for finding work is to be able to demonstrate your talent at the level of the industry.
The various studios don't really care if an aspiring artist can draw flowers, or elf-princesses, or race-cars--they want to know if that artits can do the stuff that the studio does on a day to day basis, and at the level of skill they demand.
To that end, show range. Just drawing anime/manga isn't range. I got work back in the mid 80's by being able to do comics, cartoony characters as well as reasonably classic drawing. Verstality is the key.
Nowadays, some software skills are a bonus ( I'd go so far as to say they are needed)--Photoshop, Maya, FLASH, Lightwave, 3D Studio Max, CorelDraw etc.
Disciplines like sculpting, portraiture, painting, music also make you more valueable.

The biggest asset to have though is persistance. If you give up, YOU close the door. The biz still remains, and still welcomes. The standards don't change--there's a spot for anyone if they can rise to them.

I've owned a studio--with partners--and its not something I want to ever do again. Business makes extraordinary demands of creative types, and its not a mistress that likes to share. Owning and operating a studio means compromise because other's lives and assets are usually involved. Being a freelancer means that is less so.
I would rather dictate where and when and what I work on, then have those things dictated to me based on the needs/ambitions of other people.
My example is by no means the only one, but it is one to consider. Others mileage can and has varied on this.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thank you all for your replies. I found all of them extremely interesting. I have sent of for internships, but sadly there are few.

Could someone please tell me how I can post my showreel (large file) onto the internet for your inspection?

Thank you,

Amy

Animation sucks. Learn how to bump up the customer to "super size" if you really want to be happy.

Animation sucks. Learn how to bump up the customer to "super size" if you really want to be happy.

You can do that with animation, too.

"Would you like radiosity with that render?"

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

Hello Amy,

This industry is tough, we have started our own animation company. We are just about complete with the development of our first animated series. You can get a peek at www.bwocartoon.com. Let me know if you like what you see. This is actually just the first version of this site. We will have a new one in April or May.

ab

hey thats a cool thing you have going? where can we some animation?

hi amy,
i set up a studio in 2005 & its a pain in the a**

lol!
When you set up your own shop, it is indeed exciting and wonderful- the creative work is there to be done. What kills people (and businesses) is the paperwork. A studio is a business, and that doesn't always mesh well with artists.

As I'm of the mind "If you want something done right, do it yourself," I set up shop last summer. It hasn't been too bad, I almost broke even by working freelance on the side.

The hardest part of any great idea isn't getting it right, it's getting it done.

The hardest part of any great idea isn't getting it right, it's getting it done.

That's perfect! I always used to tell students obsessing about the (unimportant) details that the best film is the one that's finished. Many didn't get it until it was too late though. :(

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

Yeah, I agree! That site looks really cool! :)

well this month i started laying off duties in house and began my move out of the creative side of things to the business side, primarily because thats what my education was in.

i love to write and direct but at present we need the business side to be handeled so im doing that. Ive given greatrer responsibility to my crew and we have debrief sessions tues, thurs, sat so i can keep abreast with the goings on.

but yes. its a royal pain in the arse and i wouldnt recommend it. NO NO NO