Search form

Pattern on clothes

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pattern on clothes

When animating a character, clothes with patterns on them can be a bitch to clean up. Not only do the main body parts not have to boil but every little stripe/flower/polka dot can't boil either.

But, there is an alternative. One can make it so that the pattern seems fixed in one spot while they move around kind-of-thing. The only example of this I can think of is the Bugs Bunny cartoon Wideo Wabbit (by Robert McKimson c. 1956). In it a TV executive wears a plaid suitjacket that has this effect.

My question is: how would this effect be accomplished in Flash?

Haredevil_Hare's picture
Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle. You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

When animating a character, clothes with patterns on them can be a bitch to clean up. Not only do the main body parts not have to boil but every little stripe/flower/polka dot can't boil either.

But, there is an alternative. One can make it so that the pattern seems fixed in one spot while they move around kind-of-thing. The only example of this I can think of is the Bugs Bunny cartoon Wideo Wabbit (by Robert McKimson c. 1956). In it a TV executive wears a plaid suitjacket that has this effect.

My question is: how would this effect be accomplished in Flash?

Use the clothes as the mask and put the pattern underneath.... I think. It's been a while since I've worked with masks in Flash.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

I think that's going to be overly complicated Haredevil. Making a mask is part of it, but you will most likely have to keyframe the whole thing, then break all your symbols down to raw art, and make only the inside colors of the clothing, and not the line the mask. Then put the patern on a layer under that. We had to do a similar thing on Puffy, and it was a pain in the butt to do. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I think you are going to have to break it down to raw art and keyframe everything. If you come up with a better, faster way to do it, let us know. Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."