Search form

Hash Animation Master

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hash Animation Master

I was wondering if anyone here has tried the 3D animation program Hash Animation Master.
From what i've seen, it looks like a lot of good stuff can be done with it.

James :cool:

First of all: Dont be so stupid and think, that the big studios will give you a job, only because you are able to push a button in Maya.

Most studios are searching for talent.
It doesnt really matter were you get your talent and experiences from... you can use Truespace, Animation:Master, XSI, Maya or 3ds or whatever you want... it doesnt really matter...
They want you to give them great examples of your skills in modelling/animating/texturing/rigging or whatever you want to be. They rarely want to see, that you are good with a special program. In the end it is good to know their program, but it is better to animate well, than to know a program... choose the one you are getting best results out... other programms can be learnd quite fast, but to learn to animate is a far more complex issue.

Do you know what program will be the best in 3 years(or even now?)? Maybe a new program appears and Maya and Max and all the others wont be very important anymore... maybe Pixar will sell marionette for example...

So don't try to learn a program, try to learn to animate, modell, etc.

If you want some examples for artist who use/used Animation:Master and got a nice job in the industry:

Jeff Lew worked with A:M for a long time, made KillerBean 2 with it and was than the one who directed the effects in Martix Revolution.

Victor Navone has used A:M for his well-known AlienSong and is now a Animator at Pixar and Animation:Mentor.
There are some more people who got great success true their A:M-Animations...

Soulcage-Department, a German Animation-Studio, has won several Animago Awards (a great 3d-festival). Their Animations are now often seen in commercials all over Europe.

Some of the A:M-users have contracts with Jamster, Jamba and whatever they are all called.

So, dont be so stupid and think, that the program is so important... your talent is the thing that really is important.

A:M is a great software to learn to animate.
It is cheap, very powerful and has a much easier, more intuitiv interface than most other 3d-software out there. It is more designed for Artists than most other applications.

I am a A:M-user for some years now, and I can say, that I never felt sorry about it. It is true, that Hash Inc. can be a bit rude, if you critisis them, but that has become much better recently.
The stabillity of the program has increased much, too. C4d is certainly more stable, but A:M is now very useable. The features are quite impressiv and most important: A:M is very cheap and has a nice update-pricing... ANY A:M-Version can be upgrated for 99Dollars to the current version (v13.0 -> A:M 2006). All updates are free for the users for one year, after that you have to upgrade.

*Fuchur*

PS: Just to mention it:

I dont think that A:M is the best program for everybody or something like that... if you have the money you can although try XSI... a great programm too. I worked as an 3d-Artist for a small company were I had to use 3ds, I learned C4d and XSI, too. 3ds wasnt my program of choice. It is to heavy, not intuitiv and has very limited animation-features. C4d is okay, but wasnt mine too... I like A:M and XSI the most...
And if you are at the beginning, try A:M... I think it is worth the 299 Euros/Dollars. There are disadvantages, but you wont find any program without them.

"Ich weiss, dass ich nichts weiss."
Meine A:M - Projekte findet ihr jetzt auf:
http://www.patchwork3d.de/
Schaut euch doch mal um.

Many professional animators who use Maya, XSI, Max, etc. use A:M for their personal projects because of it's simplicity and power. Yes, it's had some crashing problems in the past, but I never ran into them (any more than any other piece of software, anyway...). Pay attention to system requirements, and you'll do fine.

A:M also has a huge and rabidly supportive user base. When I was using the software, I never had to wait more than 24 hours to have a question answered.

Despite Wade's opinion, lots of places use Lightwave for some or all of their production pipeline: places like Pixar, Digital Domain, DNA, etc. It's been used in a few movies over the years, like Fantastic Four, Serenity, Sin City, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Hellboy, Spider-Man 2, LotR, Matrix Revolutions, Monsters Inc., Toy Story 2...

Well, I stand corrected about Lightwave. But then, I just said that "I am not aware of anyone using it professionally". Regardless... Someone who knows the subject matter better (DSB... and I know he knows what he is talking about) than I has corrected me, and I thank-you for that.

Now, on to Fuchur... Knowing some of the more popular packages is ABSOLUTELY beneficial to you. If you already know the package that a studio is using, then they will not have to train you at all, and you will be up to speed immediately into production. Yes, you can get work based on your demo reel alone, and yes, it happens all the time, regardless of what program you have used to make it, but I am giving a simple edge... If I had to choose between an animator who only knows Hash Animation Master, and one who knows 3DS Max (which is what we are using currently), and the two candidates have equally strong demos, who do you think I will choose to hire? The guy I have have to train for some time, or the guy who can start producing immediately?

If you wouldn't mind toning down your responses, it would be much appreciated too... There is no need for that tone in here, telling people "don't be so stupid...". I am in a posiition of hiring animators in the industry, and I am giving the best advice I know to give, based on what I am looking for in an animator now, and what I have looked for in the past.

Wade

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Hi Spooze,

No offence intended, but you seem to be finding all the really STINKY 3D animation packages that are available on the market... Really, there are 3, possibly 4 that are even worth mentioning... 3D Max (mostly used for TV and games due to speed advantages), Maya (Used for Film, TV, and SOME games, due to it's all-around strength), Softimage XSI (used almost primarily for feature films, originally due to its price, and sheer POWER) and Lightwave (the weakest by far of the 4... don't even know of anyone using this package to be honest). Each of these has its strengths and weaknesses. Currently, all other packages are horrible.

Anyways... I did not want to seem to be attacking you personally or anything... It is just, if you want to experiment with 3D animation, the above packages (not sure about Lightwave...) all have fully functional learning editions that can be downloaded for free for you to teach yourself on them. Knowing one of these packages could possibly get you a job in the future. Knowing "Poser" or "Hash Animation Master" will not.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. No offense was taken :)
I hate Poser now. It's not powerful enough to fit my needs and is very limited.

However, the reason I am interested in A:M is that it's a program aimed at amatures and hobbyists (hence big companies not useing it ;) ) and I am looking for an easy yet quite powerful program to use for an animation "class" (more of a club that a class) that everyone 7 and up (lol :D ) can understand how to use and how to animate in 3D space.

Also, from almost every person who has used A:M I have gotten good reviews. I have seen EXCELLENT things done with it and even one person was given a job at Pixar because of an animation he/she did.

I hope no offense was taken by me disagreeing somewhat Wade :) I really DO appreciate advice from someone who has been in the buisness for real.

James

Hello Spooze.

I tried A:M once and I found it very easy to use, especially for modeling. I also heard of that person that you wrote about who uses A:M and got a job at Pixar (Isn't it the "I will survive!" clip?).

My only complaint with A:M is that it is not the most stable of programs. When I was starting out using it, it often crashed on me. I gave up on it after a few months of use because of this issue. That was two years ago; I could not remember what version I used. I guess stability depends on what version you have at the moment. Other than that, it is a fine program, and affordable too. Works with both PCs and Macs. Just be aware of the crashing issue. Cheers.

Blog

Yes, it was Alien Song that helped a man called Victor Navone become a Pixar animator.

Hash fixed most of the bugs and crashing problems in A:M. I know a lot of people were complaining about that issue.

James :cool:

There's also a fellow named Jeff Lew who started with AM and became the lead animator on the second matrix I believe. I think the only difference with AM is the modeling system, the animation tools are the same, if not better, than other 3D packages. The thing about 3D is that not only do you need to know the complexities of animation, but you need to understand software that makes photoshop look like "paint." Its fun to use cheap, or free (blender) programs, and major studios will be happy to train you in other software if you are good, but most places demand software experience, so who knows what to do. I think 3D is specialized enough that you need to find what you want to do, textures, modeling, animation, etc. then build the appropriate portfolio. I'm sure blender or wings3d have modeling tools that are similar to big packages, things such as subD and nurbs. Actually, in my limited experience, once you learn the basic terms and workflow, the idea of most packages are exactly the same.
Anyways, I've used AM on a mac, and it was a bit buggy in v10. My mac is old tho, and it was in classic, but the program itself has a great interface, it's simple, but can do whatever you want it to do. If you are in school you can get it cheap through creationengine.com. Have fun!

it wasnt the program that got him the job at pixar....it was his animation.

It is not about what program you use it is how you use it that really matters. Sure you need to know HOW to use it before you can really use it effectively, but....you get the idea.

If your just a student or club or whatever....go the pirate route, matey. 3dmax or maya. There is a free maya out there but they are stupid and spam your freakin viewport with a watermark....as if the viewport would ever give you material you good enough quality to make money off of.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

it wasnt the program that got him the job at pixar....it was his animation.

It is not about what program you use it is how you use it that really matters. Sure you need to know HOW to use it before you can really use it effectively, but....you get the idea.

If your just a student or club or whatever....go the pirate route, matey. 3dmax or maya. There is a free maya out there but they are stupid and spam your freakin viewport with a watermark....as if the viewport would ever give you material you good enough quality to make money off of.

i think Blink is correct. for the first part, i wouldnt recommend piracy but if i had to i would only until you learn stuff, never for any work you would do. you should just get the free or student versions.

All this discussion about getting hired and knowing packages is really beyond the point of the initial question. Spooze said he was looking for easy-to-use software so that people age 7 and up could get their feet wet in 3D. If that's the goal, then A:M will fit the bill nicely. So will Poser, Carrara, and lots of other low-end 3D packages.

A package like Maya in this environment would be akin to using a 20-pound sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail: it can be done, but there are easier ways of doing the same job.

You are certainly allowed to disagree with me too, Spooze. If you are able to get some nice animation out of Hash, then go for it. However, if you look at the majority of 3D animation job postings on the AWN, many demand that you have knowledge of the other packages I have mentioned.

That being said, if you are a hobbiest, and managed to get a free copy of this program and just want to screw around to see what you can come up with, all the best! I remember seeing that dancing alien thing, and for its time, it WAS quite nice. I look at it now, and seem to remember it being better, but back then, it was great, and if that was made with Hash, then it may be somewhat more powerfull than I thought it was.

Have fun, bro!

OH MY GOD!!!!

http://careers.awn.com/jobdisplay.php3?job_no=17947

I stand corrected.

I used AM for a couple of years with the recent editions so I can give you an incite into it and I can tell you it's still not stable whatever the people at Hash try to tell you. I would stay away from it, Hash's customer service is highly questionable.They don't have a demo and are quite rude when people have asked about one. They don't like you talking about their software on other forums preferring you to use their official one so they can take down any post that questions it's stability or other problems.You also can't import poly models or export their spline based models into any other program without alot of messing around in the end it's easier to just make the model in the original program.To start the program you have to have the original disk in the drive everytime this is their copy protection method and is a pain. Although there have been quite a few good things done with the software including the ones mentioned above the cons far outweigh the fors.

If you are just starting out or just staying in the hobby market I don't think you really need to look at the high end programs like Max or Maya you would be too overwhelmed with their features and the upgrade prices will kill you. If you want to still stay with a fairly well known program get XSI Foundation which is $500 US. Now if you want something similiar to Animation Master for character animation but alot better look at Messiah Workstation for $299 this program has been used for professional work.Although not as well known as the big boys of 3D it was used for the Jimmy Neutron movie as well as some others. You can also export animation from this program into others like Max or Maya if you wanted to go that way in the future. The only problem with this program is that you need a separate modeler but you can either get Wings3D which is free or Silo which is $109 US and you can also export the models from either of these into any other program with obj format.

The programs I have mentioned have demos and any would be alot better for you than Animation Master. Here are the links where you can check them out.

Messiah: www.projectmessiah.com
XSI: www.softimage.com
Silo: www.nevercenter.com
Wings3D: www.wings3d.com

I probably have been fairly harsh about Animation Master but this is the experience I had with them and they still leave a bad taste in my mouth after getting rid of the software and various other training material a couple of weeks ago (quite a substantial investment on my part) you may have a better experience as in the end it's up to you what you want to buy.

I currently use ZBrush,Silo and Messiah and are alot happier with them over Animation Master. I have also used Max and Maya and also prefer them to those two. I didn't mention Zbrush to you as if you are just new to 3D the program can be quite overwhelming as it's set up fairly differently to the traditional 3D program but if you want to check it out they also have a demo available their website is www.pixologic.com

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers,

cem