Search form

Poser?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poser?

I was wondering if anyone here has used the animation program Poser before and if they liked it. I am playing around with it and it seems to be pretty cool. Good for people who want to practice animating the human body.

James :cool:

ehh, poser is pretty crappy :D

www.MattOrnstein.com
Character Animator - Lucas Arts

ehh, poser is pretty crappy :D

Crappy is to harsh of a word. I have an old copy and played around with it, trying to learn how to work the thing. Think of Poser as a 3D form of clip art that lets you animate. On the one hand you have characters that are already for you to push around and on the other your work will have a cookie cutter look to it.

Poser would be good if you need to knock out something really fast and often. You could, after learning the software, could plan out scenes like lighting, camera locations, and other fun cinema stuff.

I am not going to use mine because I think I can save my self a lot more time and grief by storyboarding. Also it would be a waste of my time, I would be double working a scene and I am the only one who is doing the work.

Spooze, I've never seen any animation done well using poser.

Like Wade said in the other thread about Hash, you'd be better off downloading a Personal Learning Edition of Maya or Softimage or something and learning those. While they "water mark" the files so you can't use them for work, only learning, it is a good way to learn the programs. I think most companies would look past the water mark if your work is good. They understand that these are expensive programs and not many people can afford them.

In Hash's defence, Vic Navone used it to create and animate his short "Alien Song" which, as I heard it, got him a job at PIXAR Animation Studios.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I'm completely over Poser now. It runs real quirky and it's kinda wierd. I don't find it enjoyable to work with.

James :cool: