Search form

Your recommendation for good human anatomy books

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Your recommendation for good human anatomy books

Hello everyone. I am diving into 3D and am trying to teach myself Maya. I've started doing some modeling of the human form and then realized I had an awful knowledge of the human anatomy. Does anyone have a recommendation on a very good book on how to draw the human anatomy? I am looking for something that is geared towards artists, something where I can find a good frontal, side and rear reference and what not. I could not find any that was written by Andrew Loomis anymore, and I did some google searches as well as browsed some in amazon, but I would rather get some recommendation from fellow artists and animators.

Blog

Just popped in to abe.com out of curiosity. There were a few copies of Figure Drawing For All It's Worth in the $50-60 range. Pretty good, for what you're getting. I have a paperback I got for $35. Heck, I might even upgrade it!

Does anyone else use Suicidegirls.com for anitomical reference? When you look past the piercings and tatoos, there are actually a wide variety of body types.

john rayne

i like his approach. 'drawing comics the marvel way'
is also good for dynamic posing.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

While I like the complete Bridgman book, I have to say that Loomis is still the king, IMO. He starts with the basic form, and works into more detail as he goes along. He adresses practical problems like placing the figure in a background. I also prefer the look of his finished pieces.

Bridgman has this very barrel-chested figures with lumpy muscles and fat. Have you noticed how few of his figures have faces, and how he talks about the muscles of the face for a total of one page with five tiny illustrations? The way he groups muscles is interesting, and the detail he goes into on certain parts of the anatomy make it a great reference book (especially for the price) but I really just think Figure Drawing For All It's Worth is much more worthy of close study.

I would also recomend the Art S Buck manikins. They're stiff around the ribs and shoulders, and you can just never get plastic to bend the way flesh does, but they're well-sculpted enough to use as general reference for face, hands, etc... and they're wonderful to pose and repose. I think they actually help me more with composition than drawing.

I would recomend Draw Comics With Dick Giordano over 'the Marvel Way. It covers a lot more ground, and I like Giordano's old school blocky anatomy rendering. I've heard one or two complaints on this style, but you have to remember that most construction techniques are blocky. Style is a question of how you render it after the initial construction, and is really a matter of personal tastes.

Now, I have a question. Is there a particular George Bridgman book that stands out above the others, as Figure Drawing... does with Loomis? [though I also have Loomis's Fun With a Pencil, and it's really cool!]

Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy by Chris(topher) Hart

Dirt-friggin'-cheap online, even new, and deals with mostly superficial muscles (though -of- those, to great detail)...so it's more for what, say, an animator might deal with...the so-called 'seen' muscles

specter:
i love bridgmans life drawings book and constructive anatomy!

but i must warn u they are not as *friendly* as loomis they are allot more technical and formal.

thats why life drawing classes are important.
:p

Loomis books went out of print years ago i'm afraid,however the books are available online here....www.saveloomis.org and the book u may wanna look at is *figure drawing for all its worth*.

i actually uploaded all the loomis books in pdf at AF,but recently removed ehm cos of bandwidth.

another one to look at is George Bridgman,who actually taught loomis.He's books are still in print and should be available at amazon.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

A good 3D anatomy book: Action Anatomy : For Gamers, Animators, and Digital Artists

Hey, I saw this one once at Chapters! Thanks for the recommend, Sharvonique.

Blog

Also check out books from George Bridgman. He breaks the forms into basic shapes and get into how the wedge into each other. You can usually find these at most big book stores like Barnes and Noble or Boarders.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

thats why life drawing classes are important.
:p

Loomis books went out of print years ago i'm afraid,however the books are available online here....www.saveloomis.org and the book u may wanna look at is *figure drawing for all its worth*.

i actually uploaded all the loomis books in pdf at AF,but recently removed ehm cos of bandwidth.

another one to look at is George Bridgman,who actually taught loomis.He's books are still in print and should be available at amazon.

Thanks for reminding me about George Bridgeman's book, Noob. I remembered this one when someone let me borrowed a copy last year. I'll search for it right away.

You are very right and I could not agree more; life drawing classes are important. I regret missing out on some sessions last year.

Blog

This is not a book but worth a look at if it helps.

http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/

There's always Muybridge:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/muybridge/

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I like the books by David K. Rubins and Jack Hamm.

The Hamm book is sort of dated looking, but its a literal catalogue of various anatomical formulas for drawing people, and it probably more suited to a intermediate student. Its quite comprehensive though, complete with a section on drapery/clothing and its probably the cheapest of the books you'll find on the market--great value for the money.

Other people suggest Andrew Loomis' books, but they can be hard to find in print--they are, however, also available on-line in various forms.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

I like the books by David K. Rubins and Jack Hamm.

The Hamm book is sort of dated looking, but its a literal catalogue of various anatomical formulas for drawing people, and it probably more suited to a intermediate student. Its quite comprehensive though, complete with a section on drapery/clothing and its probably the cheapest of the books you'll find on the market--great value for the money.

Other people suggest Andrew Loomis' books, but they can be hard to find in print--they are, however, also available on-line in various forms.

I'll second both the Hamm and Loomis books. Ken's right about the value for the $$ on the Hamm books; they are very inexpensive, and everyone I've ever worked with either has used or knows about them.

One of my prized possessions is a photocopy of Loomis' "Figure Drawing For All It's Worth." A co-worker had a copy, and I fired up the photocopier as soon as I could get my greasy mitts on it.

The best anatomy book i have is by Gottfried Bammes "die gestalt des Menschen"
(would translate to something like "the Human form")
Bammes is a german drawing teacher and his book is the most thorough anatomy book for artists that i have ever seen (and i have most of the other books mentioned in this thread)

http://www.paperview.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=58

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

Anatomy 4 sculptors is a

Anatomy 4 sculptors is a great anatomy book for artists. In this book , you will find lot of human anatomy reference which you can use study or practice anatomy.