Search form

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Sorry guys, gotta bring this up. What the heck is with all this Christmas cock blocking going on? Suddenly, there are certain “forces” that refuse to use the word “Christmas” and say “Happy Holidays” or that funky Christmahaunakwanzakah gobbledygook. What is so wrong with Christmas? So what if it’s the heavyweight champ of the holidays? It’s not like anyone is ignoring Hanukkah… or Kwanzaa…. :confused:

And who named Christmas trees “Holiday Trees”? Like that was gonna stick or something.:mad:

I think that, of course, Dr. Seuss gave us the proper parable for this situation. I think that all these “politically correct” people need to sit and watch or read “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and see how it properly applies to the state of affairs.

Merry Christmas. There. I said it. :p

cartoonchaos's picture
Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

Suddenly, there are certain “forces” that refuse to use the word “Christmas” and say “Happy Holidays” or that funky Christmahaunakwanzakah gobbledygook. What is so wrong with Christmas?

This one's really easy.
By saying "happy holidays," organizations are simply trying to be all-inclusive. "Happy holidays" covers all the winter solstice holidays including Christmas. This way they aren't slighting anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas: Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.

If anything, Grinch is about how we don't need all that crap like trees and presents. We just need each other. "Happy holidays" is more like the Seuss fable in that is sends warm wishes to everyone, not just Christians.

And who named Christmas trees “Holiday Trees”? Like that was gonna stick or something.:mad:

That sounds like taking it a little too far, but - really - who gives a flying f&%#?
Maybe some of them want to make the tree tradition appealing to all faiths; and why not? It's not like there was a Christmas tree next to the manger. Christians swiped the tree tradition from Druids and other "pagans" only a few hundred years ago. Maybe Jews and Muslims can swipe it as well.

I wonder if the pagans threw a fit when people began calling their beloved "Druid tree" a "Christmas tree." :confused:

Because someone else says it, or doesn't say it does that affect your usage?

No.

Do the choices of someone else, or another group in choosing to renamed the greeting into something less "offending" for their own reasons affect the usage, meaning or enjoyment of the phrase for you?

No--I can safely say....

This is why its a non-issue.
If someone else chooses to use a different term to describe the same thing, and both terms used are accurate in their intent then what's the harm??

Honestly, I file this one under nit-picking.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

im not even religious and i celebrate christmas.

its just a holiday time to be with family and GET STUFF!!!! oh..and give stuff too.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

im not even religious and i celebrate christmas.

Yeah, Christmas isn't really Christmas anymore, unless you actually go to a Mass at that time of year, which is usually the last thing that people associate with Christmas. Since "Christmas" is just a word and means nothing to most people besides greed, gluttony, partying, and pretty lights, what does it matter what you call it?

If people were to truly celebrate the holiday in a Christ-like manner, they'd give all those presents to the poor instead of to their middle-class families.

This thread is probably in response to that paranoid "War on Christmas" foolishness that's pushed this time of year, as if jack-booted thugs are going to storm into your house and burn your tree down. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, this is relevant:

O'Reilly: "War" on Christmas part of "secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage"

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210003
(There's a video, so you don't have to read nothin'. :D )

It sounds overboard...but im not sure if its actually nit picking, were talking about a billion dollar month here(besides, there is plenty of animation that is affected by Christmas...or Holiday month). I dont think that mixing religion and state is fair or constitutional to anyone and that has been happening for years.No one minds the time off from school or work, and we all love giving and getting presents.Moreover I am no Ameriphobe by any means, but we tend to bastardize iconic events. How many of us celebrate the rising of a corpse Jesus on Easter, or give up something during lent...I think if you dont sack up to everything Christianity means than you should celebrate holiday day (sounds silly) but the word Christmas means Christ Mass. Im not Jewish and I dont celebrate Rosh Hashanah, so how is it O.K. to celebrate Christmas, im not a devoted worshiper of Christ...I think im going to hell with all of you,I gotta go repent!

Oh yeah, this is relevant:

O'Reilly: "War" on Christmas part of "secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage"

It's been changed now, but a couple of days ago, Foxnews.com was selling an "O'Reilly Factory Holiday ornament". Not Christmas ornament; holiday ornament.

Guess that's why he knows about the "war" on Christmas.

I read about the O'Reilly crap on Fetus-X.com, and it's pretty awesome! What better way to hold the traditions of Christmas sacred than decorating a tree with political television show memorabilia?

The point is he's one of the ones ranting about "people should say 'Merry Christmas'", and yet they were selling 'holiday' ornaments.

Irony is so tasty...

In the same way that I pity good Muslims who have to live with the stigma of terrorism, I feel sorry for good Christians that have these inhuman representatives: Bill O'Reilly, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, George W. Bush.

The Jesus of legend loved and cared for the sick and poor above all others.
The Jesus of legend would never advocate war.
The Jesus of legend proclaimed that millionaires like O'Reilly, Bush, Falwell, and Robertson would never be able to join him in heaven.

Accepting Jesus as your savior means adopting his philosophy, and most "Christians" refuse to do that. The meaning of Christmas has certainly changed, just as the meaning of Christianity has.

does it really matter as long as we all make a lot of money

they like the gift

but don't care much about the giver.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

hahahaha, just chill.

it's just a matter of space but I think it looks all right

In the same way that I pity good Muslims who have to live with the stigma of terrorism, I feel sorry for good Christians that have these inhuman representatives: Bill O'Reilly, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, George W. Bush.

The Jesus of legend loved and cared for the sick and poor above all others.
The Jesus of legend would never advocate war.
The Jesus of legend proclaimed that millionaires like O'Reilly, Bush, Falwell, and Robertson would never be able to join him in heaven.

Accepting Jesus as your savior means adopting his philosophy, and most "Christians" refuse to do that. The meaning of Christmas has certainly changed, just as the meaning of Christianity has.

AMEN and a very merry happy holiday days to all. Oh and Happy New Year.

interesting read

As the Web site News Hounds pointed out last year, Henry Ford was sounding the alarm about the war on Christmas in his notorious 1921 tract "The International Jew." "The whole record of the Jewish opposition to Christmas, Easter and other Christian festivals, and their opposition to certain patriotic songs, shows the venom and directness of [their] attack," Ford wrote.
To compare today's "war on Christmas" demagogues to Henry Ford is not to call them anti-Semites. Rather, they are purveyors of a conspiracy theory that repeatedly crops up in America. The malefactors change -- Jews, the U.N., the ACLU -- but the outlines stay the same. The scheme is always massive, reaching up to the highest levels of power.
The war on Christmas trope lets the right pretend to be playing defense when it's really on the offensive -- against the ACLU, separation of church and state, and pluralism, to name just a few targets.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/11/21/christmas/index_np.html
full article:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/antitheism/286318.html

Since "Christmas" is just a word and means nothing to most people besides greed, gluttony, partying, and pretty lights, what does it matter what you call it?[/img]

I don't understand what you're trying to defend. Do you want to change the name of Christmas because you're intolerant of Christian faith and culture or do you not want to change the name of Christmas and simply change the meaning of the word to something else (in which case the word can no longer be Christmas).

The moment you change the word Christmas, you change its meaning. Just like if you make up a word, or if you try and define a word differently, it's not the same word so make up a new word for what you're trying to define. An all inclusive Happy Holidays may seem like its tolerating and including other cultures or religions but it's also changing the purpose of Christmas. So naturally as America has changed the purpose of Christmas into a materialistic shopping free-for-all (why not include all cultures in such a profitable actvity?) it's going to sugar coat the purpose for the season by ignoring the ever-haunting term Christmas which reminds people of the true meaning of the holiday. Christians can give presents both to their families and the poor as well because they love their families and also want to help needy people. What point are you trying to make?

I don't understand what you're trying to defend. Do you want to change the name of Christmas because you're intolerant of Christian faith and culture or do you not want to change the name of Christmas and simply change the meaning of the word to something else (in which case the word can no longer be Christmas).

The moment you change the word Christmas, you change its meaning. Just like if you make up a word, or if you try and define a word differently, it's not the same word so make up a new word for what you're trying to define. An all inclusive Happy Holidays may seem like its tolerating and including other cultures or religions but it's also changing the purpose of Christmas. So naturally as America has changed the purpose of Christmas into a materialistic shopping free-for-all (why not include all cultures in such a profitable actvity?) it's going to sugar coat the purpose for the season by ignoring the ever-haunting term Christmas which reminds people of the true meaning of the holiday. Christians can give presents both to their families and the poor as well because they love their families and also want to help needy people. What point are you trying to make?

Not to speak for harvey, but I think what's being defended here is the privilege to celebrate a traditional holiday without the attachment of religious significance.
What we call "Christmas" is actually a derviative of the winter celebration of Saturnalia, which existed WELL before Christ's birth.
The date of Dec 25th was formally adopted in 500 AD by the Vatican, and there's still a great deal of speculation that Christ might have been born on the same calender date that he died on--sometime in the spring.
With that all said, the Christian elements are tacked onto traditions that have evolved and mutated over the past 2000 plus years. No single element can claim the sole reason for the tradition as so many varied cultures now come into it. For most of the world's cultures, its simply become a time for family and fellowship

THAT may, in the end, be the onlytrue, and ultimately most preferable, justification for celebrating it.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Why is it that such an inclusive term manages to make Christians feel somehow excluded? I think many Christians feel threatened by the concept of secularisation, as if religion can only thrive if it is mandatory. They don't want it to be a choice that people make. I think it is the other way around. I think the very concept of faith is undermined by any kind of enforcement. Just as the bible has it that God gave man free will, so must society, otherwise society undermines God.

As for giving 'Christmas tree' a different name, well as has been pointed out, the tree has nothing to do with Christmas aside from assosiation, so what's the problem? It can have different names. I'm sure the pagans didn't call it a Christmas Tree.

It's very strange problem, I LOVE Christmas!

Do you want to change the name of Christmas because you're intolerant of Christian faith and culture or do you not want to change the name of Christmas and simply change the meaning of the word to something else (in which case the word can no longer be Christmas).

I don't want to change the name of Christmas. My point is simply that, no matter what you call it, most people will celebrate it in the same way that people of many cultures and faiths have celebrated the solstice for millennia.

I'll remind you again: Christmas doesn't mean Christ Mass to most people anymore, otherwise most people would spend that day in church; and would give their presents and food to the poor as Jesus would have, rather than gorging themselves.

An all inclusive Happy Holidays may seem like its tolerating and including other cultures or religions but it's also changing the purpose of Christmas.

I'll make this point again since you so conveniently ignored it the first time: "Happy holidays" isn't intended to destroy Christmas. "Happy holidays" is used to include and tolerate other faiths that celebrate holidays during that same time of year. What's more awkward: saying "merry Christmas" to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Wiccans, and athiests; or saying "happy holidays" to everyone?

The "purpose of Christmas" has always meant different things to different people. No one is going to stop you from celebrating it in the way that you personally want to.