Search form

True Collide

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
True Collide

Many people believe that animation in the future will undergo a drastic "face lift," from colorful fictional characters, to movie like realism.
Although many things in the future will change and "advance," I don't think it will be justified to twist animation into the ebb of realism, it will only deface it's true meanng.

Do you think it is justified to "advance" animation into realism, and why?

DIEMERAS Dark Angel's picture
He who seeks the truth, must first empty his heart of a false pursuit. Diemeras Dark Angel

He who seeks the truth, must first empty his heart of a false pursuit.

Diemeras Dark Angel

Do you think it is justified to "advance" animation into realism, and why?

It already has. Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean? Or Gollem in Lord of the Rings? Or even Revenge of the Sith?

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

sorry

It already has. Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean? Or Gollem in Lord of the Rings? Or even Revenge of the Sith?

Aloha,
the Ape

Don't mean to burst yuh bubble, but I asked specifically if it was justified, and I think you handled it pretty well, although slightly off, thanks for your somewhat, irrelevent answer, keep it up :D

Diemeras Dark Angel

Don't mean to burst yuh bubble, but I asked specifically if it was justified, and I think you handled it pretty well, although slightly off, thanks for your somewhat, irrelevent answer, keep it up :D

Well, you are begging the question. You can't "advance" something if it's already there. That was my point. Realistic animation is here and has been around for a long time. Like anything, it has it's uses.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

It is all in the story, the tools use in the telling of the story are secondary.

Harvey, I think you just wrote this guys term paper. :eek:

Please

It is all in the story, the tools use in the telling of the story are secondary.

Harvey, I think you just wrote this guys term paper. :eek:

Don't be delusional, I knew all that, I did, REALLY. :confused: I did!

Diemeras Dark Angel

Okay

Well, you are begging the question. You can't "advance" something if it's already there. That was my point. Realistic animation is here and has been around for a long time. Like anything, it has it's uses.

Aloha,
the Ape

Alright, I give in, you do know your stuff, great discourse you have a way with persuasion.
I'm just kidding :D
See ya in the forums.

Diemeras Dark Angel

I don't think it will be justified to twist animation into the ebb of realism, it will only deface it's true meanng.

"Justified"? "True meaning"?

Honey, animation is movement. That's it! There's your "true meaning."

Since the dawn of animation, there have been different types: realistic (like the works of Winsor McCay and Willis O'Brien) and stylized (like the works of Otto Messmer and Ub Iwerks).
Animation wasn't corrupted because of Gertie the Dinosaur. :rolleyes:

Animation is successful when the audience believes that the characters are alive, and not just actors or drawings. Sometimes this can be done with cartoonish animation and sometimes it can be done with realistic animation. Often, when I see an animator jumping through all the hoops, like in a Don Bluth movie, I am less convinced that the characters are alive. Cartoonish characters, though fun, are often the hammiest of stage actors: great for comedy, not so great for dramatic roles.

Here I'll point out the many Disney features and shorts that combined realistic and cartoonish characters: Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Lion King, to name a few.
Are these movies the worst of failures because they used realistic characters? Should Snow White have looked more like Dopey in a dress?

There is no simple clear-cut set of rules for all animation and character design. Different types and styles of animation can work.

Thank You

"Justified"? "True meaning"?

Honey, animation is movement. That's it! There's your "true meaning."

Since the dawn of animation, there have been different types: realistic (like the works of Winsor McCay and Willis O'Brien) and stylized (like the works of Otto Messmer and Ub Iwerks).
Animation wasn't corrupted because of Gertie the Dinosaur. :rolleyes:

Animation is successful when the audience believes that the characters are alive, and not just actors or drawings. Sometimes this can be done with cartoonish animation and sometimes it can be done with realistic animation. Often, when I see an animator jumping through all the hoops, like in a Don Bluth movie, I am less convinced that the characters are alive. Cartoonish characters, though fun, are often the hammiest of stage actors: great for comedy, not so great for dramatic roles.

Here I'll point out the many Disney features and shorts that combined realistic and cartoonish characters: Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Lion King, to name a few.
Are these movies the worst of failures because they used realistic characters? Should Snow White have looked more like Dopey in a dress?

There is no simple clear-cut set of rules for all animation and character design. Different types and styles of animation can work.

Thank you, for your profound insight, I knew it all along, but you're the kind of person I wanted and hoped to answer my point, to shed light to those who may not know, I don't know how to thank you.
THANK YOU A MILLION, GREAT JOB!! :D

Diemeras Dark Angel

You're welcome.

I neglected to mention the ENTIRE ANIME INDUSTRY, which I believe is the world's most successful animated film and television industry, and usually leans toward more realistically-depicted characters.

I also neglected to mention the Fleischer Superman cartoons which are some of the best cartoons EVER MADE!

And I should note that I don't subscribe to any belief that cartoonish characters MUST be relegated to comedy while realistic characters MUST be relegated to drama and adventure.
Like the fine arts, animation should always be breaking the rules and breaking new ground if it wants to be taken seriously.

Wow

You're welcome.

I neglected to mention the ENTIRE ANIME INDUSTRY, which I believe is the world's most successful animated film and television industry, and usually leans toward more realistically-depicted characters.

I also neglected to mention the Fleischer Superman cartoons which are some of the best cartoons EVER MADE!

And I should note that I don't subscribe to any belief that cartoonish characters MUST be relegated to comedy while realistic characters MUST be relegated to drama and adventure.
Like the fine arts, animation should always be breaking the rules and breaking new ground if it wants to be taken seriously.

You never cease to amaze me.

Diemeras Dark Angel