Search form

Pitch Bibles online

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pitch Bibles online

Do you reccomend displaying a bible online? How concerned should I be regarding copyright infringement? Obviously net execs aren't likely to stumble across my website, but it would be handy to be able to foward anyone interested to the site. Would it fall under the copyright of the website... if the site is copyrighted?

Thoughts?

-MM

I wouldn't do it.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Heck, I struggle with how people can post every idea from their sketchbbok.

If you have a lawer who has protected your work, then maybe you still should not do it. Pixar never reveals anything of their stuff, that is in development, on their website.

not a good idea i think. not until you have shopped it around and have decided against it.

And the "nays" have it! lol thanks guys.

-MM

It may be a little late, but I also agree with not posting your bibles online.

If you want someone to see it right away, then I recommend creating a PDF version of the bible and sending it to that person as an attachment in an email. This is assuming, of course, that you've received permission from the person to send an attachment in the first place.

Another alternative is just to mention the concept on your website, then you can send them the bible if they want more detailed information about the idea.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

i agree with shrav. also when you do make a PDF you can ensure that it cannot be touched up, edited or printed by securing these options. the person can only mail it and review it.
this is of course if you wish to ensure that no one else does. i do believe that bibles will be distributed internally so im not sure if that is something you would want to do.

I don't understand why we're discussing bibles on an animation forum.
Are these animated bibles we're talking about?
Would someone please fill me in?

the underlying assumption surely is that is a animation pitch bible.
whats the harm?

the underlying assumption surely is that is a animation pitch bible.

When you assume, you make an ass out of yourself and Jesus.

If this is a thread about animated bibles, then I have no problem; but that was never specified.

whats the harm?

Is it so wrong to be curious?

When you assume, you make an ass out of yourself and Jesus

the tone of the thread automatically leads to the conclusion that is about animation related pitch bibles. so the assumption stands.

Is it so wrong to be curious?

nope. long as you have nine lives.

Thanks for trying so hard to be oblique and unhelpful, Lizard, but I found out what a "pitch bible" is, regardless.

This is one clumsy term that seems to be exclusively associated with animation. Is anyone familiar with its retarded origin; or will asking more questions get me killed as Lizard implies?

(In the real Bible, pitch is associated with two things: tents and boats.)

mate. this is an animation board, the chances of someone knowing when a bible is mentioned that it is related to a pitch bible or show bible is quite high vs something out of the king james.
if this were a christianity board it would have been the exact opposite.

why it is called a pitch bible.
ill hazard a guess.

because
1) it is meant for a pitch you are going to make
2) it contains everything you would need to know about a show ie. contains all the info/knowledge. just like the bible is supposed to.
just like why the WSJ is the bible for the finance people.

as an aside you being a senior member i thought you were being sarcastic and i played along.

Where I come from, no one would be so crass as to refer to a non-religious text as a bible.
Here it is known as the "pitch koran." See? It's less offensive and marginalizing.

i am not going to get into an argument with you mate. you can call it what you want.
it is the term that is used in the market place. it is what everyone uses and it is what i use. without any malice or intention to insult.
i am not narrow minded enough to quibble over it.

edit: and i dont know where you come from, but if you are a Manhattanista in animation i can gurantee you HAVe heard this term before.

edit: and i dont know where you come from, but if you are a Manhattanista in animation i can gurantee you HAVe heard this term before.

I'm not a writer, director, or producer and have never needed or wanted to sell a concept for a movie or TV show, so I've never needed a "pitch bible."

With the multi-culturalism of Manhattan, most citizens are smart enough to not use such loaded terminology in business practices.
(Remember when Dubya used the word "crusade" in association with our Middle Eastern war?) I'd think that, in the world of Hollywood, where much of American animation is produced, and where so many producers are Jewish (you know, the people who were persecuted by Christians for centuries), people would be shrewd enough to not embrace such an alienating term.

P.S. The word is "Manhattanite." ;)

i have lived worked in the Manhattan schooled in London and was brought up in India. i consider myself quite multicultural and i see about zero offense in using Bible as a term to denote a book of information. It is standard practice anywhere and everywhere not just in animation.

i dont think it is alienating, or insulting because i have been asked to submit the pitch bible from LA based studios. so what should i make of that.

its not my intention or anyone elses to insult the book.

as for Dubya calling it a Crusade. He hasnt been very smart bout things, but to be fair to him as well. people are always willing to jump on the wagon to bash. there is someone or the other who will be unhappy.

This is what dictionary.com says about the entry for bible.view
1. The sacred book of Christianity, a collection of ancient writings including the books of both the Old Testament and the New Testament.
2. The Hebrew Scriptures, the sacred book of Judaism.
3. A particular copy of a Bible: the old family Bible.
4. A book or collection of writings constituting the sacred text of a religion.
2. [B]often bible A book considered authoritative in its field: the bible of French cooking.
[/B]

i see about zero offense in using Bible as a term to denote a book of information. ...
It is standard practice anywhere and everywhere not just in animation.

That's fine that you personally aren't offended by the use of the word Bible in business practices, but that doesn't mean that all others will not be offended.

"Bible" is a religious term. Some people of different faiths are going to be offended. That's simply the way it works.

P.S. The top Google results for "pitch bible" are a few pages on AWN. That doesn't sound like a widely accepted term.

you are the only one offended by it thus far. while everyone i have ever been in touch with in the industry uses the term pitch bible or show bible. you will get numerous refrences to this on this board itself.

it is a widely used term beyond the animation industry as well. i dont see it as being offensive.

as for it not being an industry wide term.

here is an article from AWN
1 The Pitch Bible : Essentials read
2 From a screenwriter where he talks about how he would go about creating and pitching a show. read
3 San Fransisco State University uses the term in their lecture for creating an animated series read

these are three examples from a screen writer, an educational insititute run by the US govt and by an animated magazine which you might be familiar with AWN.

since you brought up google. all the links above are from the first page of a google search.
read

but then again. what the hell do i know. i have only talked to broadcasters and distributors.

you are the only one offended by it thus far.

You have absolutely no way of knowing how many people might be offended. You seriously believe that no one is offended by the insertion of religiously-charged words into secular business practices? Since so many people want God out of the government and the Ten Commandments out of the court, why wouldn't they also want the Bible out of the animation business?

Just because others don't express their offense, doesn't mean they aren't offended. If people spoke up every time they were offended by something, this would be a very noisy world. Instead, people often express their offense by simply rejecting your pitch.

since you brought up google. all the links above are from the first page of a google search.

You proved my point that "pitch bible" is not a widely accepted term. "Pitch bible" primarily shows up on pages about animation. If it were a popular term, its first returns would be pages regarding live-action film and television. This only proves that people outside of AWN are a little less clumsy with their terminology.

it proves you arent willing to listen if anything. thus far you are the only one that has brought this up. frankly i never even looked at it that way. to me it makes perfect sense.

secondly ill copy and paste this from another post a few above yours
read bullter number 5

This is what dictionary.com says about the entry for bible.

1. The sacred book of Christianity, a collection of ancient writings including the books of both the Old Testament and the New Testament.
2. The Hebrew Scriptures, the sacred book of Judaism.
3. A particular copy of a Bible: the old family Bible.
4. A book or collection of writings constituting the sacred text of a religion.
5. often bible A book considered authoritative in its field: the bible of French cooking.

now think how pitch bible would fit into the context.

edit: of course pitch bible isnt a widely used term outside of animation. XYZbible is. which is what i was saying.

finance bible - WSJ, Forbes, Fortune
economics bible - Economist
Animation Bible - AWN

get the picture.

Again, my point is not whether you have a problem with it, but that others might.

"Bible" is a religious word. If you ask 100 people on the street, "What is a bible?" at least 99 of them will say, "It's a Christian book." They won't say, "It's a book considered authoritative in its field, like a French cookbook." If you ask the same 100 people what a "pitch bible" is, they will think it has something to do with Christianity.

What if, at work, I referred to the pizza guy as the "food christ"? You don't think that would be insensitive? "Christ" also has the meaning "expected deliverer," so it must be okay, correct?

You make the argument that the WSJ might be called the "finance bible." Well, that's just a casual metaphor. It's not an industry term, as you're proposing "pitch bible" is. Do you see the difference? If you have a stack of WSJs and Forbes, the industry term for them is not "finance bibles." It's "finance journals."

(This might be a good time to ask our Indian friends whether they use the term "pitch bible"; or if they instead say "pitch veda." Do creators of anime make "pitch kojiki"?)

People have problems with religion inserted into secular or multicultural situations. That's just the way the world works; but then animators have never been known for their worldliness. :o

At this point we're just repeating ourselves, and, if you're like me (and the rest of the forum, I imagine), you're pretty bored with this debate by now. :rolleyes:

Food Christ...hah...thats funny.Ooh I got one...Buddha's Delight!Oh my producer is telling me that ones already been used...but Food Christ could beat out Ronald McDonald,the Burger King plays football but who's gonna bet against Food Christ...FOOD CHRIST! The hell with this pitch bible(although definitivly correct is pompous)...were talking FOOD CHRIST!

i am quite bored yes. also willing to change my opinion if someone shows me im wrong.

but anyway. keep fightin the good fight.