Search form

A Dog's Life - teaser trailer released

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I invite you to download the teaser trailer for my next film. I plan to have it finished early to mid next year. It is a traditionally animated.

I have included 2 links. You will need either Divx5 or Quicktime 7 to view.

http://www.evilassin.com/video/ADogsLife_TRL_Divx.avi

http://www.evilassin.com/video/ADogsLife_TRL_H264.mov

Any comments/feedback are greatly welcome. Please go here:

http://evilassin.com/collective/viewtopic.php?t=606&sid=340bf13d97000e7a31c6747821e48d4c

To see a breakdown of the shot composition. Some people may find it interesting. My plan is to produce a DVD next year with step by step tutorials on the techniques used in the film.

Please stop by www.EvilAsSin.com to view the regular updates…

If you have any questions, fire away…

Victor Throe

victorthroe's picture
www.EvilAsSin.com for more movies and downloads the fastest polygon in the west! YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

www.EvilAsSin.com
for more movies and downloads

the fastest polygon in the west!

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

heres a section of the tutorial off my site.

some of you traditional animators may find it interesting

Once the shot is animated, scanned, coloured etc. it is time to export them ready for compositing. Here you can see the 4 versions of the character that were exported. Later we will look at how each version is used in obtaining the final aesthetic.

With our character layers in our favourite compositing package, the first thing we need to do is a little cleanup and refining. You can see from this next picture that there are some alpha channel artefacts. These little white dots are from where the fill tool didn’t quite go into all the little corners. Generally these will not be noticeable, but cleaning them up will have another added advantage which I will get to later.

I have applied a simple matte choker to our colour characters aplha channel. Observe the settings.

www.EvilAsSin.com

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

These settings ‘bloomed’ the alpha channel. Depending on your settings, it will expand the alpha channel filling in the gaps, but also pushing out the boundary. The boundary to the alpha channel is now much more uniform and smooth.

The problem we now have is that because the alpha channel has expanded beyond the boundary of our line work, we now have a white halo effect. This is because the surrounding image is white by default. But this is easy to fix.

Firstly I have created a new layer the same colour as our line work.

www.EvilAsSin.com

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

Then duplicated the colour character and REMOVE the matte choker.

With the character version WITHOUT the matte choker and the brown layer selected, we ‘nest’ them to effectively create a character layer without a white surround, but a brown surround.

With our new ‘pre-composed’ or ‘nested’ layer selected;

www.EvilAsSin.com

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

We can use the above character layer with the matte choker applied as a track matte.

In this image you can now see that our character has improved exterior line quality, and extra thickness. This removes a great deal of the ‘line boil’ too. I have stuck him against a blue background for easy viewing.

Next we need to work on the lines themselves. We have dragged our line export down on top.

www.EvilAsSin.com

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

It's very nicely executed, but to be honest nothing happens. I know it's just a teaser, but it should show something. It reminds me a lot of those scenes in Triplettes de Belleville, where the dog was barking at the train, but judging by the voiceover the concept is a different sort of idea.

i kind of disagree. teasers are not supposed to show anything. they are by definition, just a tease, a suggestion.

the full on trailer will have much more if and when i decide to do one, but the truth is, i havent even started making the film yet. this was put together as a proof of concept. to finalise the aesthetic and the techniques i am going to employ in making it.

completely different to belliville rendezvouz

none of the artwork in the teaser will even be used in the final film......well maybe the house exterior.

for a teaser...id say it is very revealing. it shows the main character in action.

ive lost count of the hollywood blockbuster teasers which show nothing beyond a flying logo....or play a few recognisable sound bites

still. thanks for the comments. i will be uploading work in progress throughout the duratin of this project, so if you are interested in its execution, you may want to check out the website occasionally

cool

www.EvilAsSin.com

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

Yeah, sorry to be a downer like that. I thought it was good work and deserved some kind of response, but aside from the quality of the animation, I didn't feel much of a reaction to what was going on.