is 3d dead?

well i was just thinking since Disney has forayed
into the 3D arena with Chicken Little
that maybe the end is near?

;)

kukut's picture

Don't worry.  All shall be well.

Well I think the 3d floodgates have well and truly opened. Seems like there's heaps of 3d movies in the works, and some that seem to come out of nowhere. All the goodwill that audiences have towards 3d, built up largely due to the efforts of Pixar might soon evaporate. Of course it does not necessarily follow that 2d would then make a comeback. Hopefully things will just settle down, and there can be a healthy balance between a variety of mediums.

*g* Hopefully!
No, just kidding! There are absolutely great 3D features, but the hype is insufferable. The time of bad 3D features had to come sooner or later, and then hopefully everone will realize that the medium doesn't matter, just the story, characters and animation for itself, 2 OR 3D!

most of that was already realised in europe years ago,cmon U.S. join us in the understanding. ;)

most of that was already realised in europe years ago,cmon U.S. join us in the understanding. ;)

Europe has always been in the lead when it comes to modern art forms. Here in the States, someone is always trying to kill off music and the arts from our schools.

I think the U.S. lead the way with animation, especially in the early days. However the one difference I see is I think there is the perception that art has to justify itself commercially. This is why it's all 3d in America right now.

well i was just thinking since Disney has forayed
into the 3D arena with Chicken Little
that maybe the end is near?

;)

I haven't seen Chicken Little yet but I don't think any movie will single handedly bring down 3D in the public's eye. It's here to stay and it's only going to get better.

At SIGGRAPH this year Glen Keane spoke and showed tests from Rapunzel Unbraided and it looked wonderful; like an animated oil painting. You can see some examples at this blog.

Link

http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/2005/11/rapunzel-character-designs.html

Disney may not be breaking any ground in the story department but from what I seen they are out to pushing the envelope visually.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

that depends..

on what you consider dead..

the 3d movement..

or the world.

yeh wontobe i agree,although i'm not in america so i can't judge,but doesn't anyone agree that most of this *VS* and is this *dead* thing is mostly in america,its seem that way to me.

I'm just looking foward to some americans stepping up and making their own small independent studios,and having a big hit,and not focusing on medium.

the animation industry in europe is open to anything,and i hardly hear any of the vs/dead issues here,it all compliments eachother,especially if u go to annecy (sp?) you'll see that allot.

Easier said than done,but hey,i'll be waiting for sum good studios to pop up in the U.S.,which will be hard because i know america is a commercial country,so whats hot is hot and whats not hot is not.heh.no harm in trying though.

disney seems to have done a good job

closing 2d down i was thinking if 3D would go the same way too.

but mostly my concerns are echoed by ed's comment of Disney
not breaking any ground in the story department and sajdera's
observation of giving Eddie Murphy a rest.

current animation's dependence on celebrities (for name sake, literally)
and dialogue for comedy may be killing it.

I SAY LET'S BRING THE SILENT MOVIES BACK.

3d will only die after small companies will be producing richly made shorts and shows on small budgets
until tht day its safe

Damn. I thought this thread was a joke.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

I don't personnaly think it will "die" myself, but right now it has the wow factor that is attracting people too it. It's like with anything new and exciting, like just about every kids toy christmas fad that has ever been. It's new, everyone just has to have one... and then people get bored of the idea and that's that. I don't think 3D will be quite the same way, but once people are used to what it is, intrest in it will die off and studio's won't be able to pull off a movie with a half ass story that sells because it's '3D'.

Lindsey Keess
Animator

3D? dead?

Not likely. Did anybody see the Gorillaz on stage at the music awards on MTV last week? (i only did through a weblink)

http://features.cgsociety.org/cgfilms/cgfilm.php?story_id=3217

It was AWESOME. If that is any indication of what 3D can become...oh man. Basically what they did is they had 3D animations of each character and then were able to project them on stage via smoke and mirrors. It looks SOOOO cool to see these 3d rendered characters moving around on a real stage. There isnt even any smoke distorting, you dont even notice any smoke.

Plus there is NO WAY 3d will die. It creates imaginary things and makes them look as realistic as this computer in front of me. How else are you going to get a dinosaur to run along side a moving jeep?(jurrasic park)

Plus, video games. mmmmm, mmmmmm. gamerific.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

What's the next big thing, and when will it be dead?

Thanks for that Rapunzel link, Ed. It's nice to see that the studios are developing such diverse styles. :D

It was AWESOME. If that is any indication of what 3D can become...oh man. Basically what they did is they had 3D animations of each character and then were able to project them on stage via smoke and mirrors. It looks SOOOO cool to see these 3d rendered characters moving around on a real stage. There isnt even any smoke distorting, you dont even notice any smoke.

That was definatly eye candy, but geez, was that mocap? The animationg seemed so lacking. Not the kind of animation I would have expected from them. It would have been WAY better if the animation had been up to par.

I do have to admit tho... that was cool.

Lindsey Keess
Animator

I think movies as a whole are dying.

Theater prices are up. Theaters are getting smaller, taking away from the enjoyment of the "big screen" experience. They're still dirty. The concessions prices are insane. A large popcorn costs the same as a movie ticket. I might as well have had another kid with us. And the movies are mostly retreads: The Fog, Dukes of Hazzard, Willie Wonka, Star Wars, Batman, Herbie...

Home theater experiences are improving. That's driving up tech and DVD sales. Why pay $40 to go to the movies when I can watch The Incredibles on a twelve foot screen and 600W Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound in my HOUSE? Eating my .25 popcorn and $1.00 Red Vines and .99 1-liter Pepsi? I got it all for half the price and I OWN the movie.

But really, how many people have abandoned TV and the movies for video games?

Check out these pictures:

Here is a picture of the new NBA2K6 game. This is available on PS2 and Xbox. This is an Xbox shot.

Now compare that to the new Xbox 360 that comes out November 22nd. Same game, seme developers, but on the more powerful platform:

Now, finally, the sequel to Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Only on 360 and PC. This is an actual in-game screen, meaning when you play, it will look like this. I played Morrowind for over 400 hours and there were part sof the map I hadn't even set foot on. Oblivion is bigger. See why I didn't go see any movies?

With interactive games like this in movie quality, that take hours and hours to spend and cost about the same at one 2-hour movie, no wonder movie business is down.

That was definatly eye candy, but geez, was that mocap? The animationg seemed so lacking. Not the kind of animation I would have expected from them. It would have been WAY better if the animation had been up to par.

I do have to admit tho... that was cool.

Yah, some of the animation wasnt the best. But i assume that is a 2d to 3d transition. Meaning the same people may have worked on it and are not as experienced with the 3d environment. plus all the many other factors out there...just speculating.

Ghost, are you referring to BATMAN BEGINS in that little list you got there? cus that was one of the best super hero movies made. And quite comparable to other GOOD films. And come on, the new willy wonka. That was cool for what it was.

But oh man i cannot WAIT for oblivion. I also played Morrowind for COUNTLESS hours. I didnt even do the main story. I just explored and explored and explored. Uncovered multiple hidden things and places....i just couldnt stop. Everytime i tried to do the main quest i got sidetracked.

Fable dissapointed me the most. I thought it would be morrowind with improved graphics. But it had very limited paths. Loading screens every 10 feet....bad stuff. If its gameplay was like morrowind it would of owned. But now i get what im looking for with Oblivian. The awesome visual upgrade with likely similar exploration.

I love 3d. It is what i got in this for mainly. I love 2d though...i just prefer to work in the 3d environment. Look at those screens space ghost posted. Gorgeous. I wanted to do film. but games are looking more appealing every day.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure.

3D is dead- that smelly thing! Pull the :p plug - wind up the extension cords:D - take those magnetized animators down from the refrigerators;) and replace their eyeballs!!!!!!!!!!!!
Long live the King!!!!!:D

Thanks,