Search form

Polygon Modeling :Quads

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Polygon Modeling :Quads

Is maintaining quads absolutely necessary for organic poly modeling(face,body etc)

As I understand it

From what I've been learning over the years, keeping quads on all models is what you are striving to do. It just creates a cleaner model and is easier for the computer to render. But thats about as technical of an answer that I can give.

I am apart of a 3D forum, you should try and find a forum for you software. I am still on the bottom end of the learning curve so I can not be of any help.
Sorry.

Yeah Even my Prof. insists on QUADS, though the explination is something that just from one ear to the other, left me wondering why ?

The main reason is when you apply smoothing to the mesh, it smooths A LOT cleaner when your geometry is quads. Another reason is it allowes you to use your tools more effectively and makes modeling easier.

But basically in organic modeling yah, you want quads if you can. But there are areas where you can get away with not having quads. If a surface is flat then it doesnt matter if you have a tri or 5+. And sometimes you can get away with them in other areas. it just depends on the model.

It is a matter of what works best. One aspect of GOOD modeling is creating clean forms. Keeping quads does that.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

The main reason is when you apply smoothing to the mesh, it smooths A LOT cleaner when your geometry is quads. Another reason is it allowes you to use your tools more effectively and makes modeling easier.

But basically in organic modeling yah, you want quads if you can. But there are areas where you can get away with not having quads. If a surface is flat then it doesnt matter if you have a tri or 5+. And sometimes you can get away with them in other areas. it just depends on the model.

It is a matter of what works best. One aspect of GOOD modeling is creating clean forms. Keeping quads does that.

I am new to this, but from what I understand keeping quads will help in keeping your polys flat. If you made a ball and you had some polys that were not quads, they might flicker or be inverted.

It will help yah. But you can still get into trouble with awkward faces like you have mentioned. In fact i still run into it even keeping quads.

Most of the issues i have run into, and what my teachers have told me is that when smothing, quads work best. It just takes practice and youl see and find out what works best in modeling.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo