Search form

The Cover "Art" for New Looney Tunes DVD

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Cover "Art" for New Looney Tunes DVD

Ok- I just got the new Looney Tunes DVD and took a good close look at the cover and went "buh??"

First off, who is that fishnet-stockinged redhead that Bugs is coddling? I assume she's an obscure character from a very early cartoon, but how on earth did she make it onto the cover of the DVD? And where are Bugs's trademarked buck teeth? He looks like he forgot his dentures without them. And how on earth did this art pass through all the tiers of approval at Warners with such obvious flaws?

heres a link to the image: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ADS62G/104-3543578-5200756?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

(I apologize if this subject has been covered already, but I couldn't find a thread for it)

Joanna Davidovich's picture
[SIZE=2]Have a Cup O' Jo! - [/SIZE]www.cupojo.net

if you ask me all the looney tunes golden collection artwork has been bad. :mad:

I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.
Obviously some exec decided they needed to sex up the cover in order to appeal more to - I don't know - bestiality fans?

That is not a Looney Tunes character, although she looks like a combination of Betty Boop and Red Hot Riding Hood.
It's embarrassing.

lol yeah

there arent enough beastality fans buying the dvd's we need to appeal to them. :D

Also, if you look on the back..Bugs, Daffy, and Porky are all in drag..but not in the funny, cartooney way. They look really...into it. And when did Porky *ever* wear a dress?

Hey Jo

Hello Jo.

I say no "buck teeth" no bucks from me!

Looks like someone who just doesn't know the character did the drawing for someone from merchandising who doesn't know the character...or maybe it's another lame attempt at taking an old character and making him "politically correct.

Let's face it, Bugs has moved on from Lola Bunny. If your Bugs ( this may be a stretch for you) and you see Roger with his wife, Jessica, I mean come on- would a "bunny" due (other than one from the cover of a magazine)? I applaud Bugs for moving on ...

Though I agree the fishnet stockings are a stretch- obviously, they need a trip to Paris!

Thanks!

Also, if you look on the back..Bugs, Daffy, and Porky are all in drag..but not in the funny, cartooney way. They look really...into it. And when did Porky *ever* wear a dress?

They should just put Bugs in a pimp outfit and be done with it.

I don't think the art's bad. However I don't know the "girl" character.
And yes, for a still illustration he should have his trademark teeth but perhaps he's saying, "Mmm, mmm, mmm!" about the girl. ;)
There were no hard and fast rules about model, varying from director to director, so I am certain there are instances where Bugs' buck teeth were tucked in his bottom lip to say stressed consonants M, B and P.

hah, yea thats what i was thinking graphiteman. i figured he was saying "mmm". but i still think it looks pretty lame. although i never really liked these "newer" designs for the characters anyways. especially with all that shading and hightlights all over them. everytime i look at it, the girl looks almost like a blow up doll. shes so shiny and round. but eh, no big deal. at least the menus are a whole hell of a lot better.

hah, yea thats what i was thinking graphiteman. i figured he was saying "mmm". but i still think it looks pretty lame. although i never really liked these "newer" designs for the characters anyways. especially with all that shading and hightlights all over them. everytime i look at it, the girl looks almost like a blow up doll. shes so shiny and round. but eh, no big deal. at least the menus are a whole hell of a lot better.

yeah what is up with the shading?

looney tunes didnt have shading?

why do they have to now?

To be honest, I didn't even notice. I just bought the set, took out the DVD's and stared at the TV and didn't give the box a second thought. Looking at it now, it does look pretty bad. Maybe with all the lay-off's, http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=15303 they'll get some new people in on DVD packaging design department, because their Animated Batman and Superman DVD covers are terrible too.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

It's advertising and what the ad guys tell them sells. And most of them are flashy xbox and playstation guys, what do you expect.

Ape bought it because of previous knowledge of the content, but that's the minority.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Tempest in a teapot. I doubt anyone is going to not buy this set because of bad box art.

And it is bad box art, but so was the art on volume 2. The work on that box is only marginally better than what's on the public domain DVDs. Besides, there were some pretty awful variations on these characters in the late 60's in the cartoons themselves.

Yes, it's annoying, but I'm too busy being glad to finally have uncut versions of classic Looney Tunes to be upset about bad box art. I have lots of movies in my collection where the box art stinks, but that's not why I bought them. Here's an example of really bad box art wrapped around some seriously funny shows...

I really enjoyed the Titus show, never thought about it coming to DVD, missed it when it went off the air though.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Glad to hear I'm not the only fan here, Phacker. The rest of the series hits DVD in early January. My wife is such a fan that we hit the Improv every time he comes to town. I think the show coming up in December will be our fifth or sixth...

haha that titus show was great. there was one line i remember from that show, i forgot what the scenario was, but i think the dad was insinuating that someone was gay, and he said "does your father know you play beef swords". or something along those lines... haha, that had me cracking up for a while.

That hyper airbrushing style is all marketing; it obviously sells.

Several Years ago Disney would may come out with two videos or DVDs; the general and collectors' release. The general release was always that shiny style, the collectors; a little more artistic/ graphic thought put into it. Same with movie posters. Dare I say it's to attract people with kiddies? We know Bugs' is not necessarily for kids but, hey, does time warner care once the bucks are plunked down?

Does that character actually exist? It looks a bit like a hack version of a Tex Avery dame. If you ask me, they're afraid certain people might think Bugs is just a little too flamboyant.

And the airbrushing has really got to stop. I seriously doubt it has any positive effect on sales. And if you must do it, it can be done a lot more tastefully than this.

First off, who is that fishnet-stockinged redhead that Bugs is coddling?

It looks like one of the female singers from the cartoon Speaking of the Weather (by Frank Tashlin c. 1937).

I think they did this sultry coverart to coincide with the disclaimer stating "this set is for the adult collector and may contain scenes unsuitable for children". This way absent minded parents don't just buy it for the kids and then become shocked by some of the politically incorrect material.

But, like pretty much everyone else has said here, it's not the coverart that makes the dvd set it's the content. And these contents are some of the best ever made. Not just the classic toons but also the featurettes and the other extras too. :cool:

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti