Search form

Character Builders

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Character Builders

Does anyone know of this animation studio in Ohio? Where have they gone? Their website has just disappeared. I checked the most recent version of their site at archive.org and they never mentioned anything about moving the site or shutting down the studio. I really hope they didn't close down.

I apologize for double posting, but I wanted to bump this to the top.:o
I am very curious to see if anyone knows anything about them!

hey meleponine.
yeah, character builders was an animation studio in or near columbus, ohio. back in the 90s they were doing well working on movies like space jam and rover dangerfield. character builders was also co-founded by jeff smith (of bone fame). i believe jeff smith is also from ohio. a lot of studios died out because traditional animation in feature films has died. i doubt they're still around, or at least active. lots of studios like that withered out within the last five years unless they made a successful transition to 3d computer or flash work.
hope that helps!

traditional animation in feature films has died.

He said the "D***" word! :eek: AAAAHHHH

tehfuzz,
thanks for your answers. I knew of them and of their work. Seemed like a nice, talented, little studio. Originally from Ohio, I must admit I secretly hoped I could find a way in there. :D

I just found it strange that they seemed to disappear into nothing. No words of closing down on the site at all. I suppose it's possible they just quit paying the host to save some cash. I think they were resisting 3D. So maybe it makes sense that they were not getting much work, since it seems most of it was outsourcing for hollywood features. But they had done some of their own work... commercials and such.

I hate that d word, too.

If anyone else has input, I'd love to hear it.

He said the "D***" word! :eek: AAAAHHHH

it undoubtedly has in America, at least temporarily. i also believe in rebirth when it comes to art. but when it comes to feature film animation it's unfortunately always been about spectacle and pushing new and current technologies. when it comes to cartoon animation and the animated short, however, the very soul and essence of it is 2D and will not be and can not be replaced by 3D. the truth is a good story can be told using any medium but what sells is a completely different matter.

good luck, meleponine. i used to live in ohio and i too would love to find work there.