Search form

What drawing tool do you prefer?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
What drawing tool do you prefer?

Over the course of my college career I've tried several types of drawing tools to get a feel for what I work best with. I'm talking everything from an HB (I used to be hard-core (no pun intended) about using hard leaded pencils and mechanical pencils). Then I moved to much softer pencils and Color-rase pencils for animation and fell in love with the flow I could get out of them.

But time and time again I find myself constantly drawn back to one tool. A regular black ink pen. Something about how smooth it rolls across the paper really works well for me. Go figure. A medium I can't erase in, ends up being my prefered.

So I question you all, do you prefer any medium/drawing tool thats a bit odd? Or if you just want to throw in your two cents about what you enjoy, go ahead!

The more I use it the more I love Alias Sketchbook Pro on my Tablet PC. Really nice. For regular sketchbooks, I actually really like sketching with a blue fine tip Sharpe. Forces me to think more when I sketch and not noodle my drawings.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Hmm, don't know. I personally don't like Alias Sketchbook... too few functions. I prefer the good old Photoshop.
Col-Erase Pencils are great!! Couldn't live without them...

The more I use it the more I love Alias Sketchbook Pro on my Tablet PC. Really nice. For regular sketchbooks, I actually really like sketching with a blue fine tip Sharpe. Forces me to think more when I sketch and not noodle my drawings.

Aloha,
the Ape

mechanical pencil and staedler pigment liners.

Website http://dapper-dandy.com

Cartoon Syndicate project
http://cartoon-syndicate.com

I have a charcoal addiction. When I'm drawing for myself, and I like to execute my drawings on brown butcher paper. Thats all for me though. When I draw for other people I use graphite mechanical pencil, because everyone wants clean lines.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

I am too new at this so I really do not have a perference. Currently I use a mechanical pencil on paper and I have a wacom for the computer.

Cartoon Network "Sunday Paint"

Everyone knows my tool of choice is Flash, and an older version MX or 5, not the latest versions. And I work with the pencil tool to start out. And I work with the mouse. I've tried the tablets, but with my arthritis, hey I can work with the mouse for hours, where with the stylus, it's only a matter of minutes.

Back when I could hold a pencil or pen, I too perferred to work with a ball point, it just flowed so well. So you couldn't erase, you could always grab a new piece of paper.

PS: I always do crossword puzzles in pen too!

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Cole-erase pencils!!!XD

even though I can't find a place that sells them anymore. Do they sell em' at staples?

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

Natraj HB or 2B pencil does the trick ocassionally. but i still prefer a digital pencil. I have this obsessive compulsive disorder for Ctrl-Z ( Edit/undo) when ever Im doing my work. wish that existed in life some times.

spacemonkey, did you knock that out just now are is that just something you made a while back. Nicely done.

acetate assassin: I love eraseable pens, I had no idea that did it for color pencils. I did some searching and found this.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/12/
Order online or call (800)-828-4548
Sanford Col-Erase, the erasable colored pencil, is great for colored layouts and design „ it makes it so easy to erase a color or a whole color scheme.

12-Color Set „ Includes the colors, Vermilion, Brown, Terra Cotta, Tuscan Red, Blue, Carmine Red, Green, Yellow, Black, Purple, Light Blue, and Light Green.
24-Color Set „ Includes all of the pencils in the 12-color set, plus White, Flesh, Pink, Violet, Light Gray, Indigo Blue, Grass Green, Lavender, Canary Yellow, Orange, Rose, and Scarlet Red.

And now for the picture:

You gotta love crtlz, I think sometimes I try to use it with my remote control on my tv...it never works though. Here's something I just did yesterday for a client in Ireland. He wanted a mascot to represent himself on his website.

I was working with just some brief descriptions of him (He wouldn't send me a photo.), but I guess I captured the essence, because he likes it.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

spacemonkey, did you knock that out just now are is that just something you made a while back. Nicely done.

Hay Thanks Wontobe, here i am sitting in my lab , working my butt over maya advanced modeling , and I have still no clue why I signed up for it! I just love the simplicity of 2D. thats why the thought ... (which I could apply it now and then)

Phacker, nice job with your work too. I am having the hardest time making the face look right. From a photo, I can to an ok job but pulling the image out of my head is an whole other story.