Search form

Graphics Tablets?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Graphics Tablets?

Hey I was wonderin what you all thought about graphics tablets. I'm lookin to purchase one, and I know Wacom Intuos seems to be the best, but they're so expensive, so I'm lookin at the graphires now. Is it possible to make great handdrawn animations using a graphire tablet, or not? What other ones you use? Thx

I am new at this, but I have notice with my tablet that it is a mix bag when it comes to being useful. I can trace a drawning with the tablet, but I could just a well scan the drawing into the computer then trace it. I am sure that with time I will get better at this.

Get the Intuos, it's way worth it. If price is a factor, look on ebay or something for an older version. They work just as good minus a few bells and whistles, and you'll save a couple of bucks. I've had mine for five years and it has yet to let me down.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

what size do you use ape? or anybody else for that matter.

I am gonna ask for one for xmas. the 9x16 is 100 bucks more and i like that size. But, the smaller one IS cheaper....so I holded some paper to that size and kinda sketched on it see how much room i had. It seems to be an ok size.

In my reasearch i have found NEWEGG is the best thing ever. You can get the tablets way cheaper off newegg than off the wacom.com or other retailers. Newegg shaves off 50 bucks.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

I have the 6x8 Intuos. I haven't used a bigger one so I can't really judge between others, but I really like this size. It's big enough that I can draw with my whole arm if I need to and small enough to click around with the turn of the wrist. It's a bit smaller than my Tablet PC screen so its a nice transition going between the two.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I have the 6 x 8 also and the size had not been a problem for me. If I have a very large paper I wont to trace I just pop it into the scanner. The mapping feature on the Wacom table lets you draw on a small area of the table but it translates into a big area on the screen. That has been a big help for me.

Hey, I've been using the graphire 4X5 for 4 years now and it's never let me down. I truly believe that whatever size you get, you can get used to, I know since I used a different size at a previous job. I have an employee now who comes to work here and uses the smallest size (graphire 4X5) and then goes home and uses his own which is the biggest size (12X12) and has no problem transitioning each day.

Attachment 

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

I borrowed one from my school that was 9x12 and I hated it. It was just too big for me. It made navigating with it impossible. The smaller ones (6x8) I really like. I feel I can draw well with it and navigate. I can see some people thinking they can be more loose and draw from the shoulder with a larger one, but I really don't feel the 6x8 inhibits that much. Plus I didn't feel like I needed to drag the pen to Kansas in order to move from the Flash stage to the toolbox. I say... go with the 6x8. If you can find a Mac store they will probably have some you can try out there, and decide which size is best for you.