Search form

What softwares do the traditional animators use?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
What softwares do the traditional animators use?

what are traitional animators here using for ink and paink, vectorizing?

um i ink my drawings by hand with a flair pen and color them in a free software called the gimp (its pretty much the same as photoshop)

look at my dev art gallery and you can see stuff i have made with this process.

hope that helps :D

interesting. i had a chat with ToonBoom people and they were still trying to foist of US Animation of me (not happening at $8000)
so i was wondering if anyone else is using an alternative i know Animo is popular.

You may want to check this out:

http://www.cratersoftware.com/

I really LOVE this software, personally. It is very intuitive, and made for traditional animation dinosaurs.

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

well the site dosent say much about the actuality of the software. can you drop some more info about how it works and why you like it ? ill download the demo end of the day

well i use monkey jam(another free software) its made for pencil testing but there is no reason not to use it for fully finished animation.It also has a nice webcam feature for stop motion and pencil test.

http://search.aol.com/aolcom/redir?src=websearch&requestId=e3eb738e1dfe60c3&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=monkey+jam&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com%2Fmonkeyjam%2F&title=--+MonkeyJam+-+free+digital+pencil+test+software+-

Hello I Love FLIPBOOK

Hello,

I use FLIPBOOK- it's by Digicel Inc. www.digicelinc.com it's easy to use and affordable and great quality. I justed finished a film with FLIPBOOK and had no problem integrating with other software.

I's great- under 100.00 dollars can get you started for ink and paint AND pencil testing- very cool!

Thanks.

well the site dosent say much about the actuality of the software. can you drop some more info about how it works and why you like it ? ill download the demo end of the day

Oh shoot. Sorry Lizard... I did not see your question until now.

The software... It has (as far as I know) infinite levels for your animation, as well as shadow levels for each. You can make adjustments to each level individually (sharpness, color, etc). It has full camera move capabilities, and you can move each level of animation independantly as well too if need be. I knbow that many 2D packages I have seen do not handle camera moves well.. They are jerky, and forget about taper in and out or curving trajectories. It is fantastic for ink and paint, or line testing. It also has the capability of importing sound and seeing your waveform. The layout looks almost identical to a dope sheet from traditional days. It exports to .swf format, as well as a variety of others (broadcast ready image). Although, in the version I use, the export to .swf does not work very well... It appears very pixelated, but to the best of my knowledge, they have improved this in the recent version (1.8).

I don't really know what else to tell you about it. What do you want to know? I swear by this program. A child could use it (it must be easy if I learned it), and if you cannot figure something out, the manual is available for download on their site.

OH!!! Edit... I forgot to mention one very important thing about CTP. IT IS VERY STABLE. I have never been able to crash it.

Cheers

What software...

...there's this really cool bit of software called the human brain which works with a couple of really cool hardware items (indispensible really), called the eyes and the hand, alongwith a plentiful supply of tea or coffee or other stimulants...& what's more, it's free to download !!

Everyone is a comedian...

Well, after using my eyes and hand professionally for 15+ years on over 30 productions, I am fully aware of their merits. However, try using your eyes and hands to do ink and paint and shooting your animation now-days.

That is what this thread is about.

Everyone is a comedian...

except our man Zucchini here.

Software...

...lighten up...it's only animation...anyway, the thread used the term "traditional animators"...traditional animators are now embracing non-traditional methods to do animation, so what's the difference ?

...the question should really be "what software do traditional (ie drawn animation) animators rate, as being good for, say, line testing, or creating animation digitally ?" eg Moho etc etc - and if they rate it, it must be good....