Search form

Wallace & Gromit

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wallace & Gromit

Two stop-motion features are currently in the top ten box office: Wallace/Gromit and Corpse Bride.
(Curse of the Were-Rabbit is #1.)

Wow

This could be the greatest historical moment for stop-motion animation since King Kong.

People are going ape (no good pun intended) for 3D animation, whether computer-generated or puppet-generated.

~

The next stop-motion feature, that I'm aware of, will be [i]The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

[/i]It's based on a book by Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The BFG, Matilda) and is being directed by Wes Anderson [i](Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums).

[/i]Unfortunately, stop-motion features haven't gone nuts at the box office to the extent that CGI features have, so we probably won't see that many of them.

*SPOILERS BELOW* These spoilers aren't related to the story, only to "easter eggs" for aniamtion buffs.

I saw Wallace and Gromit today and I liked it. I thought it was incredibly well done, but it didn't seem to be as polished as Chicken Run. I think it was because the world had a lot more detail in it.

I saw the same dumb Chicken Little trailer I've seen for a year. And I saw the trailer for "Over The Hedge" for the second time. The only funny thing in that whole trailer is the Cheez Whiz shot.

[spoiler]Happily, I "got" a couple of the inside jokes, like the Rocketship International figures on the wall at the very beginning, and the "Bright Eyes" song from "Watership Down" playing on the car radio. There were other things like a barber sign that read "A Close Shave," and probably a thousand others that I missed. [/spoiler]

Saw it. Liked it. Would probably go see it again. Not blown away, but very impressive.

Saw it. Liked it. Would probably go see it again. Not blown away, but very impressive.

I saw it tonight and I fully agree. A nicely animated movie with quaint charm. Better than some overpolished FX hog desperately trying to come and go with a bang.
They showed that Madagascar-based short before it. I liked that one, too, but its jerky animation style bothered me a little.

Happily, I "got" a couple of the inside jokes, like the Rocketship International figures on the wall at the very beginning

Are you saying that the rocket on the wall was an homage to International Rocketship, the Canadian animation house? If so, I think it's far more likely that they're representing the rocket W&G built in "A Grand Day Out".

Are you saying that the rocket on the wall was an homage to International Rocketship, the Canadian animation house? If so, I think it's far more likely that they're representing the rocket W&G built in "A Grand Day Out".

That rocketship shows up in a lot of places. There are two of them built into the pillars at the front entrance to Will Vinton's studios, and I see them show up in a lot of cartoons. I'd have to see a shot of them again. (There were three: sm, med and lg, on the wall by the photos during the opening credits.)

BTW, the rocket in "Grand Day Out" may itself, have been in homage (fromage?) to Rocketship.

That rocketship shows up in a lot of places. There are two of them built into the pillars at the front entrance to Will Vinton's studios, and I see them show up in a lot of cartoons. I'd have to see a shot of them again. (There were three: sm, med and lg, on the wall by the photos during the opening credits.)

BTW, the rocket in "Grand Day Out" may itself, have been in homage (fromage?) to Rocketship.

Well, given that it's a fairly standard cartoony rocketship, it's not surprising it shows up a lot. Seeing every one as an homage to IR seems a bit of a stretch to me, but that's me.

The rocket wall hangings were in "Wrong Trousers" too, so they're not unprecedented in a W&G movie.

The rocket could just as easily be an homage to Melies "A Trip To The Moon", as long as we're speculating. Frankly, that seems far more likely to me than a tribute to IR, given the context of "Grand Day Out".

I saw it. I though it was excellent :D
I'm glad that it's #1 in the box office and not some dumb action flick.
lol a G rated movie is doing better than the PG-13s and Rs out there!
Spoooze!

I saw the other day, it was fine but it should have been a lot better. The story was not tight enought not that the movie draged. I found myself watching for finger prints on the characters instead of watching for story developement.

I saw it tonight.
It was good, but pales in comparison to the Wrong Trousers and Close Shave shorts.

In light of the fire (no pun), it might be a good time for Aardman to radically reinvent itself.