Search form

Animated Musicals

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animated Musicals

What ever happened to Animated Musicals, the last one i recall was South Park.

They got so bad, they had to stop making them. I think 'Home on the Range' was the last Disney musical, though it's a while since I saw that and I don't remember if there were many songs or if they were any good.

It was just stupid really. They got the idea that all animated films should be musicals, then made a few that definately shouldn't have been, then decided playing pop music on top of sequences was a good compromise, then made some bad movies, and eventually people just lost interest.

It's a shame really. Tehy have so much potential but it seemd that many companies just used songs as fillers to try and get a 90min film. The Nightmare Before Christmas was good, i enjoyed that and South Park like i mentioned. Even in South Park music was a strong part of the series and they can do the music brilliantly. While The Simpsons, all the songs are the same.

I think it's just one of the enduring truths in the history of cinema. Music and animation when put together make for a potent and powerful combination, if done right. I can't imagine it'll be too long before it makes some sort of comeback.

The mistake in "Home On The Range" was yodeling. What ten year old kid even knows what yodeling IS? I'm almost 40 and even though I know what it is, I'VE never listened to it. Fortunately, with "Chicken Little," they're back to hip-hop. :rolleyes:

Yeah...

You know what happened to animated musicals?

Michael Eisner

Animated musical are still around, they might not be considered "cool" anymore but, there are still people that are corageous enough to tackle them, here's "Hernando" a nice example by some students at Supinfocom: http://tomiland.free.fr/HERNANDOimages.htm

"check it out, you know it makes sense!" http://miaumau.blogspot.com/

You know what happened to animated musicals?

Michael Eisner

I don't see what you mean. Look how many musicals they produced under his watch. For about a decade they produced nothing but musicals.

After the run in the 90's, animators were claiming that audiences were tired of animated musicals, when really the animators themselves were tired of them and wanted to tackle more mature subject matter.

But there was never any indication that audiences were tired of animated musicals per se. Sure, Toy Story was a huge success, but the studios have also mistakenly assumed that audiences were tired of 2D animation as well.

What audiences were tired of was hackneyed, bland characters and weak stories.

Give them a GOOD 2D animated musical with strong characters and a tight story and I still think you'd have a big hit on your hands.

How about "Cats don't dance"? It is a wonderful animated musical, with a great story and cool characters

"check it out, you know it makes sense!" http://miaumau.blogspot.com/

maybe its time they revamped the musical genre and did something more modern with it.

Well the Disney films never had a sort of broadway theme, they were always very poppy like songs. If you watch South Park you will notce there songs are very varied from rap, rock, broadway. From doing this they expand the entertainment value given by the songs.

Animated musicals rock! Woohoo! Thanks for showing me the truth, Wade K! You're my savior!

Wouldn't "The Corpse Bride" count as an animated musical? Or would it just be an animated film with music?