Search form

Pixel aspect ratio confusion

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pixel aspect ratio confusion

Hello, everyone!

I was all set to begin creating my first digital storyboard when I stumbled on something as basic as the pixel aspect ratio I need to use. ><

Obviously I need to storyboard at the same width/height ratio as my intended final output, which is 16:9, aka widescreen. So I create a new document that's 720 pixels wide by the appropriate height as calculated by the 16:9 ratio, which turns out to be...405. Huh? I've always understood the standard film ratio was 720 x 486. This difference must be caused by the size difference between a computer's square pixels and film's rectangular pixels. So...what happens now? This has to be rather important, since Photoshop actually has new-document-presets for digital film at a variety of aspect ratios--most of which have rectangular pixels! But then there are a few options for regular square pixels, too. And if you DO choose to go with a rectangular pixel ratio, Photoshop kindly provides the "pixel aspect ratio correction" viewing option, which turns the rectangles back into squares!! X_x

Do I even need to worry about the rectangular film pixels vs square computer pixels? I mean, is this just a moot concern easily fixed in a video editing program like AfterEffects? (Chose an option and BAM! your square pixel image is perfectly converted to rectangular film pixel glory! Or something like that. ><)

Sorry to babble so. I really am at a loss with this whole ratio issue. >< To boil my concerns down to one main question:

Should I draw with squares or rectangles?

Confused smiles,

Sabrina (you know, there's something to be said for pencil and paper...)

The easiest way to deal with aspect ratios on a computer is to use square pixels and use 720x540 for 4x3 and 864x486 for 16x9. Let the video editor deal with converting the pixel aspect for you. Usually it's just a simple switch like "maintain aspect ratio", and when you export the final video make sure you pick which aspect ratio it's supposed to be.

I agree with krayzeebean's solution. Work at an equivalent square pixel on the computer then let the video program do the work.

Pixel aspect ratios can be tough to wrap your head around. Trish Meyer's book on After Effects ("Creating Motion Graphics"?) does a good job of describing the whole deal and putting it in the context of After Effects. Worth picking up a copy if you plan on doing much broadcast work with After Effects.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

I have heard that it is a good idea to have your work go out side of the framing. Once your done then fit it into the frame. I remember some about using the frame as a guide and let your work slop over the line.

Just be careful when using krayzeebean's solution: if you're going to be doing things for HD (which is 1920x1080), its pixel aspect ratio is square, not rectangular. Also, if you're doing computer animation, it's best to actually render at the appropriate resolution and pixel aspect ratio from the very beginning.

My solution is to always use square pixels, so it wouldn't matter if she's outputting HD.

True . . . sorry, I was more referring to the resolution (meaning 864x468 wouldn't work if the resolution needed to be higher). In my opinion, however, it's always best to use the correct resolution, but if it's just for sketches/storyboards, it should be fine.

Thanks for the great advice!

Hello again!

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who was kind enough to help clear up my confusion. All your advice was excellent, not to mention the extra bits of info to consider! I hope to post the link to my storyboard here, once it's finished.

Many thanks again!

Sabrina/s2m ^^