Search form

Which films do you consider as the most important animation films?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which films do you consider as the most important animation films?

I was just wondering which films you MUST have seen, which belong quasi to the "general education" and basic knowledge of every animator. :D
Not only entertainment features, but also kind of "art animation films" and shorts.

Greets

Frank and Ollie is a good one, with the two former disney animators talking about character acting.

I'd also say that Brad Bird's commentary on the Incredibles is another good one.

There was also a thing we had to watch in school about the warner bros. termite terrace animators talking about all the looney tunes shorts.

The making of roger rabbit, "behind the ears" is pretty good too.

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

As far as animation as such is concerned, I'd say Steamboat Willie is rather important (and Plane Crazy because technically it was done before Steamboat Willie, only it got released second). Flowers and Trees, the first Technicolor cartoon, and some classics like Barnyard Concert and The Brave Little Tailor. I think most of the Disney cartoons of the 30s/40s are pretty neat. Add A Wild Hare which, I think, was Bugs Bunny's debut, and Chuck Jones' duck season/rabbit season trilogy and What's Opera, Doc? Shoot, can't think of too many Warner Bros. ones off the top of my head. Ah yes, Feed The Kitty - what a hilarious tear jerker!
Hum, what else? Disney's Snow White, the first animated feature film and because of the great character animation of the dwarfs, and Bambi, also because of its animation. Beauty and The Beast, it being the only animated feature ever to be nominated Best Picture - eh, there are so many!

Some of my personal favourites include Disney's Hercules because of the frisky humour (Hades!) and Tarzan for Glen Keane's jaw-dropping animation of the title character. I also like the Danish feature Valhalla which, unfortunately, I haven't seen in over ten years, and the Aardman shorts Next, Loves Me, Loves Me Not, the whole Creature Comforts series and Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers. There is a short from Belgium called Harpya which is just plain creepy. One of the few times animation scared me.

That's barely scratching the very surface, and most of it is pretty mainstream to boot. Help me out here, please!

I would have to do some reasearch, I can not remember the titles that I have seen.

alot of people wont agree with me i think but the cat in the hat(chuck jones and dr.seuss) is the best piece of animation ever.The story's good,humors great,music's catchy,animation is wonderfull,and it has some great vocal performanses.

All the dr.seuss/chuck jones stuff is good which are the lorax,cat in the hat,how the grinch stole christmas,and the sneetches.I suggest watching them all.

I think duck dogers in the 24th and a half century,the three little bops,one froggy evening,and what's opera doc?, are also must see looney tunes.The dot and the line by chuck jones is another short that comes to mind.

As for true ''movies'' i have to say the incredibles,and monster inc.

Steamboat Willie
Fantasia
Snow White
Bambi
Pinocchio
What's Opera, Doc?
Duck Amuck
One Froggy Evening
Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Peanuts Christmas
The Man Who Planted Trees
Bambi Meets Godzilla
Meet The Raisins
Lupo The Butcher
Luxo, Jr.
The Cat Came Back
The Dot and the Line
Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom
The Little Mermaid
Stanley and Stella in "Breaking The Ice"
The Dover Boys
Red Hot Riding Hood.

wow i forgot a charlie brown christmas.Well rudolf the red nosed reindeer belongs too now that i think of it.

As for recent, i say The Incredibles.

everything about is just...good. So much feeling and storytelling. And cant forget, some of the best animation around.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

Fantasia
Pinocchio
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Peanuts Christmas
The Cat Came Back
The Dot and the Line
Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom
The Little Mermaid
Red Hot Riding Hood.

Yep, I'd add those to my list, too, especially Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom - ah, Ward Kimball! And The Dot and the Line - great example of how minimal animation can convey emotions.
And no list would be complete without at least one Tex Avery cartoon, of course.
I have to say, though, that I liked Fantasia 2000 better than the original one. Goldberg's bits are priceless, The Sorcerer's Apprentice is in, too, and The Firebird Suite is an FX animation ORGASM! I saw it for the first time two years ago in Annecy and boy! when the firebird woke on cue to the music, that made me jump!

Yep, I'd add those to my list, too, especially Toot, Whistle, Plunk, Boom - ah, Ward Kimball! And The Dot and the Line - great example of how minimal animation can convey emotions.
And no list would be complete without at least one Tex Avery cartoon, of course.
I have to say, though, that I liked Fantasia 2000 better than the original one. Goldberg's bits are priceless, The Sorcerer's Apprentice is in, too, and The Firebird Suite is an FX animation ORGASM! I saw it for the first time two years ago in Annecy and boy! when the firebird woke on cue to the music, that made me jump!

Get back in your hole, you've got work to do!

(How's the cold?)

Never mind the cold - what really gets on my nerves are our dogs, both of which are in heat and injured themselves during a scuffle last Friday with the result that they are to be kept indoors all day, that one has to wear a toby collar it doesn't like at all, and that both start a ruckus when left unsupervised for twenty minutes so I have to rush downstairs to shut 'em up. I'm just glad my sister takes care of the three-times-a-day wound treatment procedure.

Other than that, Kep hasn't sent the logo yet, Mr boss man.

project offer (freelance)

We are looking for 2D and 3D animators and web designers from Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India to do our foreign projects (on freelance basis), hence hereby inviting you to send us your detailed CV with the following:

1. Recent photo (any size)
2. Brief about skillset and of projects handled
3. Contact details
4. Time to reach Nungambakkam

Please forward your email ID and resumes to grafiks.mail@gmail.com

Shah

All the dr.seuss/chuck jones stuff is good which are the lorax,cat in the hat,how the grinch stole christmas,and the sneetches.

Actually, Chuck Jones only did How The Grinch Stole Christmas on that list. The rest were produced by another LT director Friz Freleng.

As far as I know, these films really established the animation medium and any other trends within it:

[B]Steamboat Willie
Bosko the Talk-ink Kid
Flowers and Trees
Golddiggers of '49
The Old Mill
Porky's Duck Hunt
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
A Wild Hare
The Blitz Wolf
The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall
Red Hot Riding Hood
Hell Bent for Election
Fast and Furry-ous
Ruff 'n' Reddy [/B] (not so much a film title as TV characters)
[B]Ersatz
The Pink Phink
Fritz the Cat
Tron
The Simpsons
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Little Mermaid
Ren & Stimpy
Toy Story[/B]

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

Actually, Chuck Jones only did How The Grinch Stole Christmas on that list. The rest were produced by another LT director Friz Freleng.

As far as I know, these films really established the animation medium and any other trends within it:

[B]Steamboat Willie
Bosko the Talk-ink Kid
Flowers and Trees
Golddiggers of '49
The Old Mill
Porky's Duck Hunt
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
A Wild Hare
The Blitz Wolf
The Dover Boys at Pimento University or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall
Red Hot Riding Hood
Hell Bent for Election
Fast and Furry-ous
Ruff 'n' Reddy [/B] (not so much a film title as TV characters)
[B]Ersatz
The Pink Phink
Fritz the Cat
Tron
The Simpsons
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Little Mermaid
Ren & Stimpy
Toy Story[/B]

well i only own the cat in the hat dvd and dont know where my vhs's of the other movies are but i can tell you that the cat in the hat was produced by chuck jones,and dr.suess and friz served as executive porducer.I also noticed that chuck jones was the storyborder and friz's only credit is executive producer.

I did do a bit of reaserching and i found out that friz did produce the lorax and dr.suess on the loose(the snetches) while chuck had nothing to do with them so you are partially right.thanks for telling me. :D

Geisel and Jones also worked on Horton Hears a Who (1970), in which Jones also voices Horton.
A Horton Hears a Who movie is currently in development at Blue Sky.

I believe that Geisel and Jones first collaborated in Coming Snafu (1943): worth checking out.

And then there's always Horton Hatches the Egg (1942), although it's a Clampett film.

Geisel and Jones also worked on Horton Hears a Who (1970), in which Jones also voices Horton.
A Horton Hears a Who movie is currently in development at Blue Sky.

I believe that Geisel and Jones first collaborated in Coming Snafu (1943): worth checking out.

And then there's always Horton Hatches the Egg (1942), although it's a Clampett film.

ohh yeah i forgot about horton.Thanks for reminding me. :D i have never seen the snafu stufff is it all good?

I'd say about one third of the Snafu films are worth seeing.

If you consider yourself a Seuss fan, you should probably see them since Geisel co-created the character.
If you consider yourself a Looney Tunes fan or expert, you should see them all.

You can download a few of them here:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject:%22Private%20SNAFU%22

P.S. Spies at the above link is written by Geisel and directed by Jones, so you'll probably want to download that one.

Booby Traps is also excellent, but is directed by Clampett and isn't written by Geisel.

Hi there
Here are a few animated films for your concideration.
They are from europe so you lot may not have seen them as you only seem to have seen USA animation from what Ive read sofar ,but hey other countries make animation too ! and alot more interesting both story and visual I think.
Heres a short list to research and enjoy . So turn off Mtv or what ever you lot watch and see somthing different!

Manipulation ,Daniel Greaves
Le Moine et le Poisson ,Michaël Dudok de Wit
L'Enfant au Grelot ,Jacques-Rémy Girerd
Migrations, Constantin Chamski
Home Road Movies ,Robert Bradbrook
Sans Queue, ni tête ,Sandra Desmazières
Jojo in the Stars , Marc Craste
Os Salteadores Abi Feijo
The Village ,Mark Baker

All the best

Potter

Especially European Films?
Hmmm... Sylvain Chomets "Les Triplettes de Belleville" is a very good one too...

OOPS!!
I was rushing this in my dinner hour. I ment to say not just european but films from all continents not just from usa. As this web site seems the majority of the time to only talk about american animation.
potter

I'd say about one third of the Snafu films are worth seeing.

If you consider yourself a Seuss fan, you should probably see them since Geisel co-created the character.
If you consider yourself a Looney Tunes fan or expert, you should see them all.

You can download a few of them here:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject:%22Private%20SNAFU%22

thanks a ton for the link :D

i seen spies and liked it but booby trap's wont load. :(

You'll want to right-click and download one of those MPGs, then.

I should probably also add John Hubley's 1952 Rooty Toot Toot (animated by Art Babbit and Grim Natwick) to my list, for its influence on 50 years of television animation, starting with the Hanna-Barbera studios and reverberating to contemporary directors like Craig McCracken and Genndy Tartakovsky.

Because of the HUAC's persecution of Hubley, much of his influence is popularly unrecognized.

The 1951 Academy Award that Bobe Cannon won for directing Gerald [McBoingBoing] struck Hubley deeply. There had always been a rivalry between the men, this only deepened it. Determined to prove that he could perform his ideas better than anyone, Hubley essentially 'split' UPA into two sides, with Cannon leading one and he leading the other. While Cannon took animation in a limited form to make a statement, Hubley pushed animation in for artistic reasons. The result of this work is on display in 1952's 'Rooty Toot Toot'. Working with Paul Julian, John Hubley had finally completely partnered design with animation; using flat images, colors, lines and settings to evoke and provoke the mood and feel of the picture. The film was a huge success and although he lost that years Academy Award, Hubley's revolution had begun.

Advertising and art directors everywhere began consistently pushing their teams to copy the UPA style. It was validation for what UPA had been preaching, that the ideas of form and content in an animated film could merge together in a manner that may not provide the ultimate realism, but rather may enhance the story and in hand, the ultimate experience.

With such cartoons as The Tell-Tale Heart and Rooty Toot Toot taking risks and offering the public something different from cat-mouse battles and Silly Symphonies, UPA's unique style of limited animation struck the industry of theatrical cartoons like a lightning bolt. It influenced style changes in all of the other major animation studios, including Warner Bros., MGM, and even the industry giant, Disney. The days of lush, painstakingly-detailed animation came to an end, but they were replaced by a new era of experimentation and artistic growth, which, unfortunately, did not last very long.

The UPA style of limited animation was adopted by other animation studios, and especially by TV cartoon studios such as Hanna-Barbera Productions. However, this was done as a cost-cutting measure rather than as an art form. A plethora of low-budget, cheaply made cartoons brought the American animation industry to its lowest point over the next twenty years. This was in spite of the fact that UPA's pioneering of the form was meant to expand the boundaries of animation and create a new form of art.

i allready tried that to no avail. :(

Concerning "The Three Little Pigs," it should also be pointed out that it was the first animated film to have a direct influence on music sales. I remember it being said that millions of copies of the sheet music for "Who's Afraid Of The Big, Bad Wolf?" were sold during its run.

I'm taking "important" to mean "influencial."
Not necessarily the best, but the "most important animated films" are ...

FEATURES

[list]
[*]Snow White
[*]Dumbo (actually not that important: I just think it was probably Disney's most well-engineered feature of the golden age)
[*]The Little Mermaid (not a great movie, but revitalized the Disney studios and animated features in general)
[*]Toy Story
[/list][b]SHORTS
[/b]
[list]
[*]Gertie the Dinosaur
[*]Felix the Cat (circa 1920s)
[*]Steamboat Willie
[*]Disney shorts (circa 1930s)
[*]Looney Tunes (circa 1940s)
[*]Tex Avery at MGM
[*]John Hubley at UPA (for his influence on all subsequent animation styles, especially television)
[/list]
I'd like to include King Kong (1933), although it wasn't wholly animated.

"King Kong" certainly was impressive for its time, although I think the stop-motion work in "The Lost World" (1925) set up a lot of things and introduced techniques which were used in "King Kong" to great effect. Not to mention the fact that its success partly made possible "King Kong". Good exapmle, though!

True, O'Brien worked on Lost World before he worked on King Kong.
And before he worked on Lost World, he established himself in Dinosaur and the Missing Link and other films 10 years prior to [i]Lost World.

[/i]But King Kong seems to be the first integration of animation and live action that astonished a wide audience and inspired a new generation of stop-motion animators; and it's really the first truly impressive melding of live action and animation: a film that can easily stand up - 50 to 70 years later - to modern efforts like Jurassic Park and Roger Rabbit (except for that stupid last line: "t'was beauty that killed the beast" - I hope Jackson leaves that out, or that Black can deliver it better).

No one has mentioned Iron Giant, which although not a commercial success, I find very inspirational. The characters, the story, and the animation are all excellent.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I think everyone is covering this subject nicely, but I have one or two additions (forgive me if these have already been mentioned and I missed them)

Anything by Bruno Bozetto, or specifically 'Allegro Non Troppo'. Especially if you're looking for a way to escape the cliches of animation and character design while still retaining broad appeal.

'The Adventures of Prince Achmed', technically the first animated feature ever made as it was produced a couple years before 'Snow White'. I suppose today it would be labeled 'experimented animation', since its all done with cut-out paper captured in silhouette- and German. Its a beautiful film.

I gotta mention 'Cheburashka'. Classic Russian stop-motion. And that song gets stuck in your head.

Oh, and to whoever said that "Little Mermaid" is not a great movie- BLASHPEMOUS!

[SIZE=2]Have a Cup O' Jo! - [/SIZE]www.cupojo.net

Iron Giant really isn't "important" except that it probably got Brad Bird the "Incredibles" gig. But it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.

I rememebr when I was a kid, a show on PBS called "Amateur Animation Festival." We watched it as a family every Saturday night. Sadly, I can't remember any specific animation I saw on there, although it turned me onto some other cool PBS stuff like "A Lathe Of Heaven", "I Claudius" and some musical stuff. I think I was nine, lol.

Iron Giant really isn't "important" except that it probably got Brad Bird the "Incredibles" gig. But it's still one of my favorite movies of all time.

Why isn't it important? There are scenes like the splash scene and the one where he flies up the side of the cliff, that I never saw the likes of in anything before then.

And although I enjoyed the Incredibles, Iron Giant is a far better flic.

I'd like to add to my list Hugh Harman's "Peace on Eath", and "Yellow Submarine".

Yellow Submarine, you ask? But for the time it was avant gard and very timely, and isn't that what counts. It spoke to the period. A period/time when animation wasn't really up there in the conscienciousness of the people. But it was different from the usual Disney fare. It proved animation could be cool and make a statement for the counter culture of the day.

It depends on how you define "most important" in this context.

For me, "most important" means that it altered the history of animation, that if effected animation trends for decades to come.

But I suppose "most important" can also mean that it should have influenced other animated films. "Most important" can simply mean that it was important to you personally, whether as a professional ideal or as pure entertainment.

Why isn't it important? There are scenes like the splash scene and the one where he flies up the side of the cliff, that I never saw the likes of in anything before then.

And although I enjoyed the Incredibles, Iron Giant is a far better flic.

By important, I mean what influence has it had on animation? Sad to say: little.

Parting the seas in "Prince of Egypt" required more special camera effects than the whole Titanic movie, but ask yourself what effect that movie has had on animation? Zero. It's not likely to show up in the top 100 animated films, regardless of who you ask. As much as I liked it, I doubt I could justify it on my own list. It's more likely there would be films on my list I didn't like at all, but I'd still have to admit they were more important.

I'd like to append The Three Little Pigs (1933) to my list: probably the most important animated short since Steamboat Willie (1928).

The movie was phenomenally successful with audiences of the day, so much that theaters ran the cartoon for months after its debut. A number of theaters added hand-drawn "beards" to the movie posters for the cartoon as a way of indicating how long its theatrical run lasted.

Among animation historians, Three Little Pigs is considered to be the first cartoon where the characters display individual, unique personalities; as opposed to simple "good guys" and "bad guys". The straw and stick pigs are frivolous and care-free; the brick pig is cautious and earnest.

"The Three Little Pigs" was probably the most important and influential short that the Disney studios ever made. It was certainly the most popular.

The short was influential for more than a few reasons. Disney had always wanted to instill his cartoons with real character and finally felt he had established it with the pigs. This would set the standard for what audiences would expect out of an animated character. No longer would audiences accept two-dimensional "cartoon" characters. A further level of depth was required from here on in. From a technical standpoint, it also made Technicolor a requirement. Since "Pigs" was made in Technicolor, that was now the standard.

Theater owners loved it as well. In an era where a short would normally stay for a week or two, "The Three Little Pigs" stayed on for months. One owner painted beards on the poster of the pigs; the longer the short played, the longer the beards got. In Dallas, a small riot erupted when the owner forgot to show the short as advertised. Calm was only restored when the theater owner stopped the feature film and showed the short. Feature films came and went, but "The Three Little Pigs" stayed on, sometimes even garnering lead billing over the feature film; an unheard of feat for a short cartoon.

Of all the short films produced by Disney in the 1930s, Three Little Pigs has some claims to being both the most significant and the most prescient. It is widely acclaimed as a breakthrough in character animation, leading the way for such indelible anthropomorphic creations as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tom and Jerry, who dominated the various Hollywood animation studios from the late 1930s until the late 1950s. It also points forward to, and in some ways enables – partly due to its significant critical and commercial success, rare for a short animated film – the move into large-scale feature film production at Disney (pre-production on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs [1937] began soon after the film's release). It also prefigures the wholesale appropriation and some would argue bowdlerisation of European culture that became a Disney trademark of its films, television programs and theme parks; popular legends and fairytales, children's classics and classical music. Three Little Pigs can also be considered more directly as an emblematic example of Disney short animation in the 1930s; exquisitely drawn and animated, jauntily scored, featuring fascinating details of character movement, but also a little light on laughs, a bit too repetitive, lacking in-depth characterisations, and morally preachy or unsophisticated in its ultimate, much commented upon “message”.

Three Little Pigs is generally regarded as the most successful short animation of all time.