Search form

Question on Burning avi files on VCD

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question on Burning avi files on VCD

Hi guys and girls. I just finished making my first animation it's for my Storyboarding class. I used Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and I exported it to AVI file. After I burned it into a VCD, and I played this VCD on both my dvd player and computer, I found that the audio is not nsync with the video. I don't understand why, I'm looking at the AVI file right now and it looks just fine. I don't know why after I burn it to a cd or dvd, it gets messed up. What could be wrong?

vcd

What frame rate did you export your avi as? What was your audio settings?

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. My Blog: Strange Thoughts

What frame rate did you export your avi as? What was your audio settings?

I don't even know. I didn't know I was suppose to take note of the frame rate and audio settings. :confused: :( Using the Adobe Premiere, I was just dragging files from the bin, adjusted them and used the monitor to see how the animation would go. After I exported it to AVI file and I checked it out, it looks good, it's just the way I want it. The only problem is when I burn this file onto VCD or DVD, it doesn't turn out right, the audio is not on time with the video.

I just don't understand why the AVI file is correct but when it's burned on DVD or VCD it gets sloppy. :confused:

vcd

It could have something to do with the software you are using to convert the avi to vcd. What software is it? I haven't done vcd's in a while but I think that it converts the audio rate to e scpecific Hrz. Broadcast audio is at 48Khrz, CD audio is 32 I think. I'm not sure what vcd is.
Here are a couple of sites that may have too much technobabble.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2496/vcdfaq.html#authoring
This one is more basic

http://www.brienposey.com/kb/dvd_and_video_cd.asp

This one is more tech.

And if you don't already have it, this is a good program to use in creating a vcd.
http://www.tmpg-inc.com/

If you are only using burning software like Nero it can be pretty glitchey.

File conversion can be a real pain!

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. My Blog: Strange Thoughts

Yep that's exactly what I'm using, Nero. :( Are there any softwares out there that doesn't convert the audio rate? Cuz I want my avi file burned as it is, no conversion.

audio rate

Not sure about that.

If you can find out what rate a VCD is supposed to be you could go back to the source file? changing the Hrz rate there shouldn't effect your sync
Also is there a good chance that your project, in premier, is set for 24 frames per second? In which case you avi would also think it was playing at 24fps? Is that is so that could be why it goes out of sync in vcd format.

If you want take the time to detail out exactly what your settings are in premier. Since there are a thousand ways to skin a cat in computer world this knowledge could help me narrow down the problem for you. Other wise keep trying!

I'm off to the animation festival so I can't get back to you until tomorrow.

How do I find out if I set my project 24 frames per second in premier?
Oh darn, I guess I won't be able to fix this problem if it has something to do with the frames cuz I already deleted the project. All I have left is the AVI.

as far as i know

vcd is 44khz dvd is 48khz.

transferring any uncompressed avi to VCD or DVD will definitely
introduce compression. you just don't "put" video on VCD/DVD.
you convert avi to mpeg1 format in order to put it into VCD.
you convert avi to mpeg2 format in order to put it into DVD.

there is no "appliance" standard for uncompressed avi.
it just has to be uncompressed avi.

Nero and other burning programs have the capacity to convert
your avi to VCD or DVD format. However, it is just as a
convenience offered. To be sort of an all-around butler, it can
be loose in its requirements (like frame rates and syncing) but
it can be loose in its implementation.

What you need are programs that know these issues and compress
your video nicely (without too much loss). Several issues and
processes exist. For example, converting to DVD can be done in
multiple ways: Constant or variable bit rate, one-pass or two-pass
and combinations of them.

These programs will convert your video for you so you can throw
them to Nero and Nero won't do any more than burn.

Procoder is very good. As a rule, the longer the encoding time, the
better the result.

Premiere incidentally has an "Export to DVD" and "Adobe Media encoder" option. Use these, they will convert your video for you, and they will
be aware of sync problems. The Main Concept codec they use is
pretty good.

In the Project bin, when you click your video clip, you can read the
clip's info: size, aspect ratio, duration and fps.

Remember that mpeg1 and mpeg2 formats have a wide range of
versions, but is very strict in determining what is playable in "VCD/DVD"
appliances.

Other than this, you may be entering into the esoteric world of audio
sync problems. Try digital video sites.

Don't worry.  All shall be well.