Search form

Corpse Bride?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Corpse Bride?

I saw it. Go see it! Post your opinions Here!

I'm not gonna say anything in case people haven't seen it yet. But i'll say that the animation is pretty sick. The puppets are pretty sick. That's all I'll say for now.

You're the second guy I've seen post who has seen the movie and declined to post details, and I say THANK YOU! I envy your early screening, but I'm grateful that you didn't take the opportunity to enjoy the film away from us mere mortals who haven't seen it yet... ;)

Do you mean SICK! or perhaps SLICK?

Do you mean SICK! or perhaps SLICK?

"sick" can be slang for "awesome"

:D

I can't stand it-- the suspense is killing me!

(Thanks for not spoiling it)

Did anyone see the trailer? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. Thanks for interpreting.

I finally got around to seeing the movie. It was pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton. I really like his style and look of his films, but the pacing of his films tend to drag a bit for me. Just a personal preference. The story was handled ok, although I think it could've been tightened up a bit more. The animation on this movie was absolutely stunning. It looks very slick and polished. A completely different look than Walace and Gromet, which I haven't seen yet, but I'm just judgeing from the trailers. I don't know if it was just me, but I had a very hard time understanding what the characters where singing. I think it was because they were singing with their accents, but I'm not sure. I just had a very hard time understanding the lyrics. I do like Burton's animated movies much better than his live action ones. I think he's better suited to that medium.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Re:

My impression of the movie was: Incredible character designs, weak story (could have been 30 minutes). I agree with you Ape in that I couldn't understand the singing parts very clearly, and usually any score by Danny Elfman is beautiful but I didn't get that from this film.

So, mute and watch it ;)

amazing visuals but i'd have to agree with animated ape, they probably could have chopped 20 minutes off the movie eaily and the pacing would have worked better and the overall movie would've been more enjoyable. it was a short story idea played up into a feature length movie.

I thought that some of the songs were a bit forced. And could have been cut. Other than that, the characters had a good feeling to them.

Don't do nothing because you can't do everything.

Radical to the max, dudes and dude-ettes!

It was so bad (by which I mean "good"), you jive turkey!

Actually I haven't seen it yet. :rolleyes:

I love Tim Burton, his animated films and his live action. Although, I haven't found his more recent ones (Big Fish, Planet of the Apes, Charlie) as great as his older ones. I think Nightmare Before Christmas is one of the best animated films ever.

So I was very excited about Corpse Bride. I have to say I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong; I still liked it. The animation was absolutely amazing and the puppets were phenomenal. I've already had to correct people who were convinced that it was 3D computer animation. I liked the look of it as well, even though it wasn't very different from Nightmare or Burton's usual german expressionism-insprired style. The story was okay, but I felt the didn't put in enough character development at the beginning. You were just thrown into the world, barely learned the characters' names, and suddenly he's married to a corpse and the plot begins. Then the story develops and resolves, and the same thing again... no ending. I need some denouement here people! Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think that's why it seemed long to some. They didn't really follow that drama structure we all learned in 9th grade literature.

Danny Elfman is one of the best composers working today, I think. The score in this film was great, but I didn't like the songs. The harmonies weren't very complex (they were barely there, with characters usually singing in octaves). The lyrics weren't very creative or colloquial (they need to be one or the other, at least). Compared to the ingenious songs in Nightmare, I just found them lacking. The same could be said for the songs in Charlie and the Chocolate factory. What is wrong with Danny Elfman these days?

Overall it was a good film, and I don't think my review here adequately shows my love of it. But I had it built up in my mind and couldn't help but compare it to Nightmare.

Wrong with Elfman? Nothing, I'd say. He's just a darned versatile composer, is all. I mean, it's not like the lyrics in Nightmare were poetic masterpieces. And I rather liked the opening of Charlie. ('sides, considering Elfman was in charge of all the music plus lyrics in Nigtmare and Rick Heinrichs supervised the whole design and animation process while Burton was busy shooting his first Batman movie, I give them more credit for it than Burton.)
I agree, though, that beginning -hum- probably with Sleepy Hollow, Burton's movies have taken a different direction from the likes of Beetlejuice, Batman Returns and Edward Scissorhands. Those were full of dark surrealism, and a bit on the -hem- stuffily baroque side whereas his latest ones are slicker, perhaps ...

Wrong with Elfman? Nothing, I'd say. He's just a darned versatile composer, is all. I mean, it's not like the lyrics in Nightmare were poetic masterpieces.

I just want to remind you that I said I think he's one of the best compsers ever. I just haven't found his last two efforts up to my expectations of him. His score in corpse bride was just as amazing as ever.... it was really the songs I had issues with. Also, while there were certainly some weird moments in a few of the songs from Nightmare, I liked them all and found some of them very poetic. The one in the graveyard for instance 'What have I done?" is what's it's called, I think... or at least what I want to remember it by. I'm sorry if I offended you with my criticisms. I really do like Elfman and Burton a lot, including their recent projects. I think maybe I just have them on pedestals.... so it's hard for them to live up to my expectations.

Oh.... and I do respect Burton for stepping out of his old style in his live action films.

If you want a different sound from Danny Elfman, listen to his score for Goodwill Hunting. He's pretty amazing when he's not scoring for Tim Burton.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

He's pretty amazing when he's not scoring for Tim Burton.

That's putting it much too harshly. Elfman defined himself (as a movie composer) doing music for Burton's pictures.

He's pretty amazing when he's not scoring for Tim Burton.

I think he's amazing even when he is working for Burton! But if you're just trying to point out his diversity, I'll agree with that.