Search form

favorite character designs

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
favorite character designs

what are some of your favorite character designs?
I'm trying to work on character construction, and would like to see model sheets and the like for differently shaped characters. does anyone know of any websites that have some good ones, or specific favorites?

Perhaps not the earliest Felix the Cat but the one we all recognize. Of course I like Ub Iwerks early Mickey Mouse and Fred Moore's Later. Charles Thorson is a charcater designer who made the rounds of the studios in the golden age; his work is really solid. I love Robert McKimsons model for Bugs and all his drawings from that era. But my favorite is Ed Benedict's work for Tex Avery and HB.

From your Avatar I can see that you are familiar with Anime types. Anime and Manga is a good place to look for unique character designs, but that's just my opinion. It's an entirely different style compared to Western character designs. I usually check out NewType, a Japanese magazine. If you can find an issue, you will find that they have a character sheets section of some of the ongoing anime series.

Here is the link: http://www.newtype-usa.com/

Blog

head over to catsuka.com ,when u get in ,click on gengal,theres loads of model sheets on there.

animation meat has a bunch of model sheets: power puff girls, family dog, the flintstones, and a few others. they're all really interesting to look at.

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

From your Avatar I can see that you are familiar with Anime types. Anime and Manga is a good place to look for unique character designs, but that's just my opinion. It's an entirely different style compared to Western character designs. I usually check out NewType, a Japanese magazine. If you can find an issue, you will find that they have a character sheets section of some of the ongoing anime series.

Here is the link: http://www.newtype-usa.com/

actually I've been drawing in an anime style for a while now, and although I do like certain elements (mostly how they play with time in action sequences, and the stories and characters), I find a lot of the art a bit hackneyed; most of them have the same faces, except they switch the hair out. I'd like to work a bit more character into my faces, and since I've been drawing just anime for so long, I've got a lot of catching up to do. hence this topic :)
I'm also finding it more and more important to find a way to easily construct a character around a simple design as I learn to animate; I have a few anime groundworks art books, and even in their sketchy state, it's hard to read any kind of breakdown... it looks like they just draw that well. As a beginner, it'd probably behoove me to try simpler, more geometric designs. At least until I get better.

thanks, guys, these sites are awesome

I agree that anime can be very hackneyed (especially the tv shows). It's also very homogenous and fairly inflexible. I don't think it's the future of animation, though it doubtlessly has had an influence. It will come and go like everything else.

One artist I do like is Miyazaki. He's one animator that does the anime style in a beautiful and impressive style. His Totoro and Cat Bus characters are awesome, as well as the demons from Princess Mononoke.

Miyazaki Net