Search form

help with digital coloring backgrounds

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
help with digital coloring backgrounds

Hi everyone

Today i made a drawing of a painter that i want to digitally color.I like how he is turning out but the background i made for him isnt working.I really need some advice on how to color the background.If i make it all solid colors it looks cheap and like a coloring book page.I need diffrent shades of green for the grass and stuff like that but i have no idea on how to get it.Anyone a photoshop wizard? :D

wouldn't painted backgrounds look better?

how about getting corel painter trial and using that *the big names use it too*

i though that digital coloring and digitall painting were the same thing.Ok ill check it out :D

thanks noob

by the way do i need a tablet to make good digitlaly painted backgrounds?

well honestly,yes,Especially with painter.

I wouldn't get anything that isn't a wacom,i've only heard bad stories from people that have used a tablet other than a wacom.

Maybe get one from ebay,i think the wacom graphire is the cheapest u can get.

ok i will look into it thanks again noob :D

ok i will look into it thanks again noob :D

Here's one way to avoid getting a background that looks like a coloring book page: Take some photographs with a digital camera, and extract textures from the photos. You can alter the colors as much as you want in photoshop. You can then use the textures to fill in your background shapes, instead of using solid colors. (This works really well for pavement).

Another way to give your backgrounds variety is to add shadow and/or limit your outlines. This might help your backgrounds pop out more.

I don't know... Just some suggestions :)

or just do some "traditional media" work, ie watercolor, pencil, etc. scan it in, and use it for texture. Color over it digitally with a semi-transparent brush if you want. Heck, scan anything in and use it as a background layer. Play around, there is always cmd-z.

i am sorry, but i have to disagree with noob.

you can do great things in painter with just the mouse.

depends on your techniques or personal style for what you prefer, but mice can work just as well.

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo