Search form

Canada, toronto, animation, everything!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Canada, toronto, animation, everything!

Hey you guys,
I need loads of help. I need to find out all about the Canadian animation industry, specifically what kinds of animation studios there are there (especially in toronto). I need to know if these studios are any good. (I've found some dodgy stuff through the aidb!). And lastly, I need to know about salaries. What kind of money can a 2d animator expect to bring in. I know I'm not being very specific there, but ballpark figures will do for now.
I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

And what do you need this for???

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

For moving to canada :D

Got a work visa?

If you have that and a studio to sponsor you then there's lots of opportunities. I'm not super-up on Toronto, but Vancouver has lots of studios and all are quite busy right now and look to be thru 2006.
There's opportunities in 2d, 3d, gaming, and other applications. FLASH is a big thing here, as is MAYA.
Money varies from $400 a week or lower (seriously!) to around $1,000 to $2000 a week--but the upper end demands alot of experience.
At $400 a week, in Toronto you are in the poverty scale of wages as the cost of living there is very high. Even at higher wages, depending upon where you live, the costs of living can eat up your income pretty fast.

But without that work visa, you can be in trouble. Hiring here is screen because of a fiasco with a studio ( Cinar) that got into beaucoup trouble with the government over claims it hired Canadian talent for tax credits, and then faked those records and hired US talent instead.
Now declarations of citizenship can be a requisite to working on productions here, and some producers and studios just don't want the hassle of dealing with non-Canadian talent. It depends on who you are, what you offer and what the studios are looking for.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

well aren't you in luck... XD

well... wouldn't ya know it... I live right in Toronto Canada... I'm no animator but from my experience and research shows that the animation industry in Canada... in Toronto... it's... ok... but it isn't the best... I find the bigger named animation companies and such... are mostly in Vancouver, Quebéc and Montréal... the rest are in America... go figure... :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.
So there's tax breaks for Canadian citizens? Has that been squeezing non-Canadians out of the running for jobs?
This is sounding like it's going to be more difficult than I imagined. I'm only in the early stages of planning. Plenty of time to iron these things out I suppose.
Anyone else any helpful suggestions?