Search form

Visual Fx

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Visual Fx

Hey everyone, this is another question about possible schools and career path. I had decided to take a full year 3d animation course vs 3d gaming or a intensive 1 month course because of an earlier thread

The schools I was thinking about are van arts, seneca and sheriden. Im leaning towards senecca right now. I noticed that they offer a visual fx course at senneca. What I wanted to know is what is the job market like for an fx artist vs the 3d artist. Is there more work out there fore fx, is there more competition for this?

The term "FX Artist" is a fairly broad and non-specific term. FX Artists can be 3D animators, 2D compositors, work with practical FX, etc. For Seneca College, their program primarily focuses on 2D work--compositing, editing, and motion graphics.

For the job market, they're both in demand in different ways. All design firms these days tend to have motion graphics artists, but are also starting to hire 3D animators as well. More and more 3D computer animation companies are springing up, but they also tend to have a couple of departments that need people with a 2D compositing or art background.

No matter what it's going to be competitive, but make sure you go in the direction that you most enjoy.

- Jason Scott