Search form

Book review? Hollywood 2D Digital Animation?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Book review? Hollywood 2D Digital Animation?

Hollywood 2D Digital Animation: The New Flash Production Revolution by Sandro Corsaro and Clifford J. Parrott
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159200170X/ref=wl_it_dp/104-9131144-1666319?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I1Y7464RVQM7NH&v=glance&colid=39VRXAWOWK6TF

Has anyone read this? Is it good? It looks promising, but I can't really get a feel for a book just by reading the table of contents on Amazon. And it's hard finding a review that isn't just copied from the Amazon website (I've read all 4 already).

A little of my background that may help answer my question. I'm somewhat new to Flash, but I know how to do the basics and learn new software extremely quickly (ie. I don't need a book that takes me through the basics of Flash that are covered in the tutorials that ship with it). I also have a degree in animation, work in the field, and own a large collection of books on the subject (ie. I don't need a book that spends most of it's time explaining basics like squash and stretch). And I could really care less about streaming it on the web (ie. I don't need a bunch of chapters about optimizing and front loaders).

Basically, I'm looking for a book that looks at Flash as a broadcast animation tool and hopefully explains in some detail an actual 2d production (and some advanced 2d techniques) using it. Is this it?

Thanks!

kdiddy13's picture
Producing solidily ok animation since 2001. www.galaxy12.com Now with more doodling! www.galaxy12.com/latenight

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

Have you seen Producing Independent 2D Character Animation: Making & Selling A Short Film?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240805135/002-0831658-4461618?v=glance

I'm guessing you have by your description. I know you didn't say anything about short films, but having read the book it's actually a bit thin there. It's more about the conventions of production, and they use tablets and conventional Flash to get it done.

That sounds good, too. Not exactly what I'm looking for in the Hollywood 2D book, but good anyway. Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, to have unlimited funds just to buy books... I love books.... alot... :)

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

kdiddy13,
Aren't you on the Moho forums?? I just relized now that I recognize your name...
Spoooze!

kdiddy13,
Aren't you on the Moho forums?? I just relized now that I recognize your name...
Spoooze!

Yup. That's me. Shoot. I feel like you caught me cheating! :o

As much as I like Moho's potential, I'm a bit frustrated with its drawing and Illustrator import tools, and going to try a project or two in Flash. That and it won't hurt the resume/reel as so many companies are using it.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

There are -four- books I would like right now that reality is shall we say keeping me from for the time being =)

Yup. That's me. Shoot. I feel like you caught me cheating! :o

As much as I like Moho's potential, I'm a bit frustrated with its drawing and Illustrator import tools, and going to try a project or two in Flash. That and it won't hurt the resume/reel as so many companies are using it.

1. What? You cheater!! lol just kidding :D it's okay. I did some of my projects hand drawn *gasp :eek: *.

2. Yeah, I agree with you there. I can't figure it out...
Actually, I find drawing with a mouse quite suitable :D

Spoooze!