Search form

New here..need help and advice...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
New here..need help and advice...

Geeting Everyone,

I first want to say that I have been watching the forums for some time and just wanted to express my compliments to a wonderful community of artists here. I hope to be an active contributer to your discussions. I have a problem that I feel only individuals with knowledge of animation might be able to help me with. A few years ago I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Drawing. My emphasis was life drawing. My intention was to apply to traditional animation studios' for employment as an animator or imbetweener. Shortly after I graduated..many of the studios including disney switched to 3d animation, and it doesn't seem like there are many oppertunities for someone skilled at life drawing. I like 3d animation as well, but one of the things that intersted me in 2d animation was the euphoria of "drawings" that moved, thought, and acted. I've considered 3d, but I'm still wrestiling with 2d as well. I'm researching careers as a story artist or a concept artist as further options. I'm unsure of what to do. I like alkl these career options, but traditional animation is more appealing to me, however I can't seem to find any studio's that do "traditional animation" here in teh US. i guess my question is "Are there any studo's left here in the U.S. that need people with a degree in drawing" if not should I consider those other career options and do any of them need somone skilled at life drawing? My dad recomments I just "do my own thing, and not pursue any companies", but I don't feel good enought to do anything independent. I'm still learning the basics of animation. There is the option to move into 3d, but i didn't want to move that route wthout some understanding of the tradidtional principles involved. I'm lost and confused as to what to do, and my parents are trying to give me time to "fiigure out what to do with the rest of my life" Any advice from professionals, student's or anyone itersted in animation is most welcome..Thank you I hope to hear form some of you.

Whisper

Welcome, Whisper.

Lots of studios still do 2D animation, but it's mostly for commercials and short-duration projects, meaning they hire when a project starts and you're cut loose when the project is done. That can be any length of time from a few weeks to a few months. You're also competing with everyone else who wants to work on 2D projects. Not impossible, but very competitive.

Not to say 3D isn't. There's certainly more 3D work these days, but also lots of people vying for those jobs as well.

Story and character design are options, but if anything the competition for those jobs is more intense than the competition for animation positions.

All of this is not meant to discourage you but to give you a realistic view of the landscape.

Bravo for you in your love of seeing drawings come to life. That's what got many people started pursuing this career (including me).

Ultimately you have to decide what your career will look like. In my case, I didn't much care what type of animation I was doing, as long as I was doing it. As a result, my career has encompassed 2D, 3D, Flash, and even a bit of stop motion. I've worked in everything from film to TV to games to corporate to location-based entertainment. It's worked well for me and I've enjoyed it, but it's not the path everyone wants. I have friends who endure months of unemployment because they only want to work in film, or in TV, or with a major game studio, or (fill in the blank).

This probably hasn't been much help in helping you decide, but a career is a personal decision. I hope I've given you something to chew on :D

I see... It is now truly very difficult for an 2Danimator

to find a perfect job... in spare time I do portraits for people, side jobs are everywhere. Although I would be very happy to get a job as an 2D animator in a actual studio....

if you cant find a studio where you can learn constantly look overseas. most studios have moved and there is plenty of traditional work happening in Indian, Phillipines, China. like loads of work.
i think its fantastic you wish to work on traditional animation, stick to it. no matter where you go, 3d wherever it would def help you out.
you could easily spend 6 months interning in the above countries and pick up plenty. then figure out what you wish to do.
in the US the work is quite limited in the sense it is more about quick requirements.
try LA/NYC.

Thanks

Thank you all for replying to my post. You all have given me a lot to think about and consider concerning my career. Until I'm certain on what I want to do exactly however, I will continue my self studies in traditional animation. Again thank you all, and I will continue to post more questions or concerns if i have some.

whisper