Search form

Finally Made Newgrounds

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Finally Made Newgrounds

After submitting 2 movies and getting bashed on them, not even making it close to making the site, i finally made a movie that was not blammed on newgrounds

here it is

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/247657

will my movie be there forever or will they eventually take it off

Congratulations Gabe.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I have to say though Gabe, even after they added the preloader, some of your mouth shapes are missing here and there. Time to slow down and pay attention to the details of your delivery.

agreed

sometimes after spendingf like 2 weeks on a movie, I just get so excited when it's finally finished that I dont go back and fix up the small stuff

Newgrounds is a nice place to solicit feedback, if you are thick-skinned enough.

Just keep in mind that the average Newground visitor is not likely to be invited to a premiere at Sundance. Many of them are kids, some of whom apparently still struggle with basic writing skills (or, for that matter, basic etiquette).

Take it all with a grain of salt.

I have sold over 1500 DVD's of a cartoon that received a rather lukewarm reception on Newgrounds. Lesson? Know your audience.

A few seconds of a mouth disappearing can be a big thing if you are trying to market your animations. Time to buckle down.

chereokee.....

just curious, how did u go about finding an audience for 1500 dvd's since your budget is probably limited, was it through a website, newspaper, ......justwondering

sometimes after spendingf like 2 weeks on a movie, I just get so excited when it's finally finished that I dont go back and fix up the small stuff

They say that the first 90% of any job takes 90% of the time needed to finish it, and the last 10% of the job takes the other 90% of the time. ;)

But OH how important that last 90% of the time is. I am doing public review for emotion-poses in my online classes right now, and I was off to a good start, but the "little touches" revisions that the term before me passed down took it to a whole new level. Thing is, I spent twice as long putting those changes in as I did to make the original pose. And that was a decent amount of time. But it was worth it.

Congrats on the Newgrounds thing! It takes a lot of guts to submit your work I'm sure!

Dumb luck. I stumbled onto a distributor at a convention who specializes in similar content (you can learn more about my DVD at fritzthefox.com , if you are curious)

I'm still in no danger of getting rich any time soon :-) But it's nice having it out there.

My website just brings in a few odd sales now and again. The distributor is where the real money is...although it is, frankly, a deal with the devil. I don't trust'em as far as I can throw'em, and he makes more than I do off of a product I created from scratch myself.

Gotta love capitalism.

vherokee

those animations are quite well done,,,, just curious how much money did u make off the 1500 dvd's

thanks pcdoc

ya it did, i was quite hesitant of submitting it, those newgrounds fans can be pretty harsh, my first 2 movies i submitted were given a very poor score, but i think in a way that may have made me work even harder on my latest movie that made newgrounds

It's great to get an animation anywhere, so congrats on that. That said, I've never been a big Newgrounds fan. It seems to cater to the violent teenage male crowd. (i.e., if it doesn't have blood or vomit it probably won't make it there). Plus the reviews tend to be on the non-constructive side (though I've never submitted anything there and probably never will). But they have put out some decent stuff here and there, depending on your tastes.

I watched your Newground animation. One thing: watch your audio levels. The sound clipped a number of times throughout. You can easily fix this either with your sound recording program or in the Flash audio properties. I also agree with the comment made above on the animation of the voicing.