Search form

I just got my book from Amazon

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just got my book from Amazon

I ordered Tony White's "The Animator's Workbook" last week from Amazon.
I'm really excited to get this book.
I browsed this book a while ago at the public library but I don't think I was using flash at the time. I didn't realize how important the principles of animation are.
Richard Williams' "The Animator's Survival Kit" was too intimating for me and Preson Blair's "Cartoon Animation" didn't impress me. I see why "The Animator's Workbook" is recommended by animators.
I'm not an animator by trade and feel that this book is right for me.

I have those too-but you can never have to many books. What you might find boorish one day actually helps out on a future project. Plus-I grew up on preston blair (being an old fogey) :D

Good on you! If it's the book that stimulates you, great.

The Preston Blair book (#26) was most influential to me in drawing and character design. As for animation prinicpals, I can read about them in any book but I am the type to never really grasp them until I animate and learn from mistakes ("ah, that's what he meant.").

For my money, Blair is THE best ever written....and was the only book for decades. I too would have been totally intimidated if I had the Williams book 20 years ago. And edit out the anecdotes and there is probably little difference in Illusion Of Life from the Blair books as far as principles.....IMO

Oooh books, I love them!

I've got those you've mentioned.

Tony's Book is very useful, especially because of the format. He's a great guy too, helped me out once with a walk cycle when I was just starting (although i still consider myself a beginner under the shadow of the animators lurking around these forums and others..)

Dick's book is very good. It's technical, but invaluable. I agree that you'd be better starting from Tony's book, but just read the opening chapter of Dick's in the library, it has VERY IMPORTANT information about becoming a GOOD animator and the links with drawing. i would have bought the book just for this part.

Preston Blair's book is very traditional in the style, but it is such an awesome book! It's a classic, and enjoyable to read/ learn from. If you are serious you should own this as well as the others.

Also, if you are REALLY serious about animation, save up for the Illusion of Life. It is brilliant. So much good stuff in there. Any animator 'in the know' will tell you that.

Victor's site should give you a few more to read up on. Use Amazon to search for related book lists and similar genre titles.

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Links_books.htm

hope this is useful.

Adam