Search form

US Animation

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
US Animation

hi, saw a demo a while ago and was discussing it with someone last week. quite a nifty software that. anyone here use it?
i got a quote for $18,000 and change :eek:

!@$%!@$%!@$%!@$%!@$%

sorry. i dont speak punctuation

currently being tutored in that software, powerful stuff.

Skinny,

I was trying not to curse. I'll say DAMN next time.

I'd stick to the non-profanity. Aside from not making yourself look stupid and impolite, think about how appropriate it is to use the alphanumeric characters, just like they do in all our favorite toons! Or should I say, all of our !&$%! favorite toons ;)

Skinny,

I was trying not to curse. I'll say DAMN next time.

would you expand on reasons that make you say things like
oh mi god "Damn" :D

I think saying the dam* word is better than saying another curse word. Scattered, I'm sure you've run into a situation with your girlfriend in which you just agreed with her just to stop the madness. The guys with wives, you know how we get sometimes. I assume Skinny didn't get the punctuation marks but maybe he did. Maybe I used the wrong punctuation marks. I've seen a lot of shows on regular tv in which they use the dam* word. Now, I wouldn't have dared said the sh or f word. Now, that's cursing.

Skinnylizard, If I read your first post and wrote !@$%!@$%!@$%!@$%!@$%
it would mean I DON'T UNDERSTAND!:confused: with essance of HOW MUCH? WHAT software? WHAT change?

Mike Futcher - www.yogyog.org

Maybe I need to create a cartoon in which a lady is stunned at the price of the software. I see the cartoon in my mind but ...
The cartoon would probably get blammed.
Is 18K the regular price for this software?
Is this the sale price?
Etc.

Oh yeah.
I'm Ms. Clark Howard, so 18K is too rich for my blood.
(I realize this is for studios so I guess the ones that buy it can afford it)
For those of you who don't know who Clark Howard is.
Here is a consumer advocate for WSB TV in Atlanta.
He is very frugal but smart.
He really knows how to save money!
http://clarkhoward.com/

i know that the punctuation marks showed some kind of disenchantment. but im not a mind reader. from where i saw it i thought he might have some kind of experience with a version of it and was not that impressed....

that price is the sale price and i was told by the vendor that it was THE software to have and would put me in the same production league as most studios abroad(there are add ons US Animation OPUS is the name of the $14,000 software and CONCERTO is the i think is the $3000 add on)

i assumed from that everyone with solid 2d experience would know bout it. it is quite nifty but i dont really need a lot of its features so its kind of pointless.

apparently once you get on the platform the software company is quite proactive in trying to get you co-production deals etc (no idea bout the truth is on this)>

they also make ToonBoom.

I Googled for US Animation and could not find it. I did find some stuff about Flash. I this what all of you are talking about?

Wontobe, it's newest version is called Opus:
http://www.toonboom.com/products/opus/

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

software

hi

can u give me some more details as in whats it for 2d or 3d

thanks
mk

it is for 2d animation and has a lot of design features like 3d set planning, lots of special effects you can add immediately as well as shadows, walkpaths etc. which can be adjusted immediately. things you would have to redraw or redo in almost any other medium. even flash.
the version i saw was called OPUS concerto.

from what i have been told Tic Tac Toon became Toon Boom Studio and the evolution of the software has ended into OPUS.

its true there isnt much info out there though. here are some links

http://www.pixelution.co.uk/toonboom.html

there are some links up there u can use to navigate.

i was under the impression that all major studios use this and figured people here would know..

I've heard of all of their software programs but I didn't realize they were so costly. (excluding toon boom). Even Maya Complete is cheaper.
I just assumed it would have cost less than that.
Maya Unlimited is around $7K and Maya Complete is around $2K.
Educational versions are cheaper but I guess an educational environment wouldn't purchase US Animation. Wow!
We are just talking about software.
I can only imagine a studio that purchases Mac G5s, Wacom Cintiqs, Apple 25" lcd screens, etc. definetely has the money to spend.

Off topic.
I'm a windows user but speaking of macs.
I'd love to get my hands on one of those macs with an Intel cpu but I figure the prices for the future macs will still be crazy.

It a very powerful software , with a 3d environment to composite work ( sounds crazy , yes ) I do have a video of its features , if someone has a place I canupload it , well that would help give everyone a very good idea of toonboom

ok here is writup about its features

A 3D scene planning environment, which allows you to organize scene elements from a 3D perspective. You can drag and drop your element layers in the 3D space and interpolate motion, scaling, and rotation effects in a single operation, creating complex multiplane motion effects. You can then preview your creation in real time.

It also comes with a lip synch function, which allows you to import audio files and interpret sounds for phonetic references. A graphical display then lets you correlate your basic mouth positions with the program's interpolation.

Use the rotating light table to draw your objects at different angles.

Use the animation templates to package animation elements for reuse

Experiment with unlimited palette styles and view the results instantly.

Optimize your output file for the Web distribution by automatically reusing media in your animation.

Keep track of your scene’s element layers with the storyboarding and exposure sheet tools

(ref : http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/2001/05_may/news/toonboomosxbeta3.htm)

just to add - an educational copy of OPUS is around $2000. it really is a powerful platform. i didnt think however that the price was really justified for me. i could use 3-4 different softwares and end up spending more time and get the same results.
the vendor told me that if i purchase the software i should be ready to have a budget of atleast $45,000 a month...

List of TV productions done using US Animation

http://www.toonboom.com/showcase/pdf/TVProductionList.pdf