Search form

Mirage 1.5

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mirage 1.5

Hey everyone. I got a copy of Mirage 1.5 the other day and thought I'd ask if anyone else here uses it. I highly suggest that 2d animators look into getting this program. Unlike Flash, Mirage is an animation program, rather than a program that you can do animation in. It isn't vector based either (big thumbs up from me).

The URL is: http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/products_mirage_LP.php

You all should check it out! :D

MightyMew1's picture
"Animation isn't about how well you draw, but how much to believe." -Glen Keane

I LIKE the bounce! I know you're not finished but watch the volumes just after a third of the way in, when he does the anticipation to grab the scroll( is it?).

I can't find anything on the site about the limitations of the demo, how it's crippled? It's cool though that they let you export to MOV. Until I got the webcam just now I didn't have that ability. Now I need it to submit to Nickelodeon.

You and cats...OK, I have to test it out tonight. Work is always better than talking up a storm.

Scratch that. 30-day license. I only need another few days =)

the one thing i like about flash is it allows you to do most of your IBs on it. we use Flash to reduce 20% of our workload with the 2d drawing trace and clean up and other probably 10% with direct flash drawings.
i just cant seem to get my head around any other software. Animo would increase workload without much increase in overall quality. Mirage seems to have a lot more fx and compositing options that most.
US Animation would be nice except for the $15,000 price tag.

I have tried Mirage but my guys didnt take to it very enthusiastically. mabe get someone to come in and give a day long demo and then decide.

Thanks for the crit Scattered, I'll check out those volumes. Skinnylizard, you mean Flash does the inbetweens itself? It thought it was better to do inbetweens yourself instead of letting the computer do it for you (esp in 3d)...

I think I'd like Flash more if it wasn't vector based. I just cant stand that vector look. Sure you can scale infinately without losing quality, but bitmap 2d just has a certain bit of life to it that vector doesn't have.

I think I'd like Flash more if it wasn't vector based. I just cant stand that vector look. Sure you can scale infinately without losing quality, but bitmap 2d just has a certain bit of life to it that vector doesn't have.

Vector is what makes Flash suitable for Web delivery. If you know how to draw and concept then you don't need filters to do it for you. But for those that want to filter and add all the special effects no it isn't the program for you. But don't expect it to deliver something it was never designed to deliver.

Pat

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

MM what I see when I view your piece is a big black circle with some sketches moving around behind it, what am I supposed to see?

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Thanks for the crit Scattered, I'll check out those volumes. Skinnylizard, you mean Flash does the inbetweens itself? It thought it was better to do inbetweens yourself instead of letting the computer do it for you (esp in 3d)...

well flash dosent do the betweens. all the time. depends on the complexity really. but it works nicely and ends up saving time over all in the long run.

anyway you take flash into after effects and add some camera movements in toon boom. the output is pretty good.

mirage dosent look too bad either. but a whole new UI.

I know about motion tweens, but besides shape hints I've never seen automatic tweening of drawings in Flash. And shape hints are more or less garbage, even with simple shapes. But everything else about Flash rocks the casbah, so no problem.

You're seeing the right thing, Phacker. The cat is inside of one of those kitty condos. The black circle is the inside of the condo, the rest of it isn't drawn yet.

Lol, you guys sure love Flash, I guess I'm one of the few who dislike it. Anyway, I just thought I might share this program that's all. ^-^

It's not that I necessarily love it, but I can recognize and respect when it's fantastic at -doing what it's supposed to do-. It also happens to be a very simple "pencil test" setup, so I'll give it a cookie any day for that.

The frame handling will take me a few minutes to get used to, but definitely looks worth a trial. Any sample footage of creations using that program?

The demo comes with a pdf manual, Scattered. Once you get used to it, I'm sure you'll like it. The software is awsome! As for a demo, I'll upload what I made the other day as soon as I go upstairs. :D

Here's a demo of my Mirage work. I made what is supposed to be a rollover button for my website. I dont know if it'll get that far though, lol. It's not done yet, there isn't any color or text.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~jcofer20/catSign.mov

I hope you like it.