Search form

Old school animation studio

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Old school animation studio

Are there still animation studios that makes cartoon with paper and film camera? I know there's Don Hertzfeldt and Bitter Films, but any other?

Are there still animation studios that makes cartoon with paper and film camera? I know there's Don Hertzfeldt and Bitter Films, but any other?

Speaking of camera, is there a company where you can buy an animation camera and set, with either 16mm or 35mm? Specifically, with a little TV so you can see how the shot will look when played?

you could just get a digital video or still camera and use that to see your shots.

Speaking of camera, is there a company where you can buy an animation camera and set, with either 16mm or 35mm? Specifically, with a little TV so you can see how the shot will look when played?

STUDIO GHIBLI----ok, yeah they use digital ink and paint--who cares?!

A couple years ago people were giving animation stands away. You might think, "Cool, my very own Oxberry!" But man, they're huge. You need concrete floors, 10 foot ceilings, and no windows.

On top of that, there's maintenance for an antique piece of specialty equiptment. Not to mention lab costs.

In the States, any cartoon animators who still use cel/film will send it to a cameraman. (Most studios did this back in the day) There used be a dozen in New York, now there's maybe two or three.

To have a video tap was more expensive, but possible. In any camera, you could climb up, rack over, and look through the lens.

Most cities will still have an Oxberry operator. The might use it for photostats, local commercials, film titles, and the occasional animation job.

Where are you located? Hook up with a local studio and you'll move in the right direction.